Windows 10: shown storage space usage is not the really used storage amount

Discus and support shown storage space usage is not the really used storage amount in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Hi there, I switched from winbtrfs to windows storage spaces. I have 4 drives for them and firstly attached 2 drives, copied data to it and then... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by gnomegemini, Dec 26, 2020.

1. shown storage space usage is not the really used storage amount

Hi there,

I switched from winbtrfs to windows storage spaces. I have 4 drives for them and firstly attached 2 drives, copied data to it and then attached the other 2 drives and optimized the storage to equal the storage usage over the 4 drives. Unfortunately the blocks copied to the other drives were not freed on the drives instead the usage increased. Now my drives are full, but they are not really. I copied another 500GB of data and the usage was not increased. So this must be free sectors not used but marked as used.

My setup:

shown storage space usage is not the really used storage amount dff02e24-00dd-47f5-bc5c-ecb6ee5d3493?upload=true.png

As you can see in the drive statistics I do not use that much storage:

shown storage space usage is not the really used storage amount 30cbf1ee-4a90-4249-ac48-4c5c1d17d23f?upload=true.png

Were are my lost 4TB and how can I get them back? I know from a friend who deleted files and there the storage usage decreased as one would expect.

What I tried:

- defrag/optimize the drive with windows defrag.exe and then another defrag tool to be sure

- Optimize-StoragePool -FriendlyName Speicherpool several times

Get-StoragePool gives:

FriendlyName OperationalStatus HealthStatus IsPrimordial IsReadOnly Size AllocatedSize

------------ ----------------- ------------ ------------ ---------- ---- -------------

Primordial OK Healthy True False 9.54 TB 8.64 TB

Speicherpool OK Healthy False False 8.64 TB 8.36 TB

What can I do further? May the refs be the problem here? If yes is there any way to convert to ntfs? Or any way to get the data to the other ntfs drive byte by byte without attaching another storage drive?

Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks!

:)

gnomegemini, Dec 26, 2020

2. Storage Problem

Hi,

It's possible that the 346GB of space that you're seeing under the Apps & games window refers to the available space of the selected drive and not the actual usage. To confirm this information, we suggest that you check the total
    usage through the Storage usage screen instead. To do this, follow the steps below:

• Click the Start menu or Windows icon.
    • Select the gear icon or Settings.
    • Select System > Storage.
    • Under Choose a drive to see what's taking up space, select
      This PC (Drive letter)
    • Under Apps & games, check if the space usage exceeds the estimate 140GB of space.

Let us know should you need further assistance.

Darwin Dim, Dec 26, 2020
  3. The the detail of the storage used shown by the screen Settings\System\Storage\Other does not add to the total.

The total storage shown is 3.36 GB. The detail list a much smaller amount of storage. I need hard drive space and want to delete whatever is in the 3.36 GB.

EdPhillips2, Dec 26, 2020
  4. shown storage space usage is not the really used storage amount

Windows 10 - settings - storage usage - other?

Hi Steve,

It's possible that some folders are not showing under the Storage usage >
    Others since they are hidden. Though they are hidden, the space that they are taking will still be counted under
    Storage usage > Others. You'll have to identify what files and folder are hidden with the steps below:

• Type hidden in Cortana, the Windows search bar or your task bar.
    • Select Show hidden files and folders from the result.
    • Go to View tab.
    • Enable the Show hidden files, folders, and drives.
    • Hit Apply, then click OK.

Once you're done with these steps, try checking the Storage usage again and see if it will match.

Let us know if it addressed your concern.

Thank you.

Angela Pun, Dec 26, 2020
Thema:

shown storage space usage is not the really used storage amount

1. shown storage space usage is not the really used storage amount - Similar Threads - shown storage space

2. Storage Spaces using Powershell

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Storage Spaces using Powershell: Hi, I'm trying to use Storage Spaces. On Windows 11. I have 1 Samsung 500GB SSD Boot. I have 3 Samsung 500GB SSD's. For Storage Spaces. On a Pcie x16. I want to use Simple No Resiliency. RAID 0. I tried "Get-PhysicalDisk." It shows 5 drives. 4 Samsung SSD's and 1 Western...
  3. Windows Storage Space - detach vhd is not shown

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Windows Storage Space - detach vhd is not shown: I run a Windows Storage Space since 5 years without Problem. Storage Space contains two disks - RAID 1. Because I have a new Architecture I want to use the two disk as single disks.1. I did a complete backup.2. I deleted the Volume in Diskmanagement.3. I wanted detach the...
  4. Windows Storage Space - detach vhd is not shown

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows Storage Space - detach vhd is not shown: I run a Windows Storage Space since 5 years without Problem. Storage Space contains two disks - RAID 1. Because I have a new Architecture I want to use the two disk as single disks.1. I did a complete backup.2. I deleted the Volume in Diskmanagement.3. I wanted detach the...
  5. Windows Storage Space - detach vhd is not shown

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  6. Storage Spaces not allowing full amount of drive space

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Storage Spaces not allowing full amount of drive space: Good Afternoon, I have a fresh install of Win 10, version 10.0.19041. Attached to this system are 12x 12TB SATA drives. 4 of these are attached direct via internal SATA headers, and the other 8 are connected to an LSI 9300-8i card. I can see all 12 of the drives using disk...
  7. freeing storage usage of windows storage spaces

freeing storage usage of windows storage spaces: Hi there, I switched from winbtrfs to windows storage spaces. I have 4 drives for them and firstly attached 2 drives, copied data to it and then attached the other 2 drives and optimized the storage to equal the storage usage over the 4 drives. Unfortunately the blocks...
  8. How can I increase the amount of storage in my storage space?

How can I increase the amount of storage in my storage space?: I originally allocated 1TB of storage from my 2TB hard drive. Now I want to increase it but it seems like the change option is missing. How do I resolve this issue? *I included a screenshot[IMG]...
  9. Storage Spaces in W10 Pro - does anyone really use it?

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Storage Spaces in W10 Pro - does anyone really use it?: Quick question - Even though it is not new, Storage Spaces seems to be a Software RAID. Does anyone actually really use it? How much is the performance hit? TIA *Think 136937
  10. Amount of storage and Storage Sense

in Windows 10 Customization
    Amount of storage and Storage Sense: I'm running version 1803 in Windows 10. I have 775 GB free and 144 GB being used. Several times a day I get a notification that Storage Sense wants to free up space as I'm running low. Every time I allow it to "clean up" my computer it tells me it couldn't free up any...