Windows 10: Shrink volume is showing less even though HDD has storage

Discus and support Shrink volume is showing less even though HDD has storage in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Dear team, when I shrink the C:/, shrink says, I can only shrink by 9488 MB when my HDD is a 1TB HDD. why could this be happening? I still have... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by PraveenBiligiri, Jul 2, 2020.

1. Shrink volume is showing less even though HDD has storage

Dear team,

when I shrink the C:/, shrink says, I can only shrink by 9488 MB when my HDD is a 1TB HDD.

why could this be happening?

I still have 700GB of free space on C:/

please advise

1. I have done optimization and defragmentation already

2. done a disk clean up already

how do I fix this please?

:)

PraveenBiligiri, Jul 2, 2020
  2. tfd3 Win User

Shrinking a volume

Thanks, Stefano. At your suggestion I did a Defragmentation on the drive I want to shrink. That took almost a day on a 1 TB drive. The drive is now 0% fragmented. But still I'm getting "wrong perameter" when I try to shrink the volume. Here's a screenshot
    of the dialog window for shrinking the drive:

The amount of space I last put in to shrink was 50012. Any idea why that didn't work?

Tom

tfd3, Jul 2, 2020
  3. DaveM121 Win User
    Shrinking a volume

Hi tfd3

Close Disk Management

Click your Start Button, then just type cmd

From the resulting list, right click Command Prompt and choose 'Run as Administrator'

Paste this command and hit Enter:

diskpart

Paste this command and hit Enter:

list volume

(note down the number of the Volume you intend to shrink)

Paste this command and hit Enter (replace x with correct volume number)

select volume x

extend filesystem

When that completes, close Command Prompt and try shrinking that partition again in Disk Management

DaveM121, Jul 2, 2020
  4. tfd3 Win User

Shrink volume is showing less even though HDD has storage

Shrinking a volume

Hi, Dave. I followed your instructions. All seemed to go well, but Disk Management still reports "The parameter is incorrect" when I try to shrink the volume.

Tom ()

--------------------------------

tfd3, Jul 2, 2020
Thema:

Shrink volume is showing less even though HDD has storage

1. Shrink volume is showing less even though HDD has storage - Similar Threads - Shrink volume showing

2. I can't shrink the disk even though i ahve disk space in my storage

in Windows 10 Gaming
    I can't shrink the disk even though i ahve disk space in my storage: i was trying to install ubuntu as dual boot in my system.When i tried to search for the free space it was not available. so i decided to partition my diskOS in the windows itself nut when i was trying to shrink the shrinkable memory was not same as the free space in the disk....
  3. I can't shrink the disk even though i ahve disk space in my storage

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    I can't shrink the disk even though i ahve disk space in my storage: i was trying to install ubuntu as dual boot in my system.When i tried to search for the free space it was not available. so i decided to partition my diskOS in the windows itself nut when i was trying to shrink the shrinkable memory was not same as the free space in the disk....
  4. Files Not Showing on HDD Even Though They are There

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Files Not Showing on HDD Even Though They are There: Hello,I bought a new internal HDD so I unplugged my other one and plugged the new one in and created a partition. Now when I plugged back in my old one it takes the name of my new one and doesn't show my files even though they are still there. How can I fix...
  5. Files Not Showing on HDD Even Though They are There

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Files Not Showing on HDD Even Though They are There: Hello,I bought a new internal HDD so I unplugged my other one and plugged the new one in and created a partition. Now when I plugged back in my old one it takes the name of my new one and doesn't show my files even though they are still there. How can I fix...
  6. Devices shows a USB Storage device even though none are connected

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Devices shows a USB Storage device even though none are connected: An USB Storage device appeared a couple days ago, it keeps ringing the connect and disconnect sound for an usb device randomly. I can't access any files on it, and can't find a device that it would belong to.This message was found on event manager: Device...
  7. Devices shows a USB Storage device even though none are connected

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Devices shows a USB Storage device even though none are connected: An USB Storage device appeared a couple days ago, it keeps ringing the connect and disconnect sound for an usb device randomly. I can't access any files on it, and can't find a device that it would belong to.This message was found on event manager: Device...
  8. Shrink volume not showing all available space

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Shrink volume not showing all available space: My 240gb SSD has 140gb of free space. But shrink volume will only allow 67gb, why does this happen? Edit: I just selected the "No paging file" option and it works now. submitted by /u/TheTomSawyer [link] [comments]...
  9. Unable to shrink (D:) even though it has 365gb free according to File explorer

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Unable to shrink (D:) even though it has 365gb free according to File explorer: [ATTACH] submitted by /u/carpenalldemdiems [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/lmyres/unable_to_shrink_d_even_though_it_has_365gb_free/
  10. Shrinking a volume

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Shrinking a volume: I'm having trouble trying to shrink a volume on an external hard drive. The Disk Management dialog window asks for the number of megabytes I want to reduce. Every time I try a number I get a "wrong perameter" error. Why?...