Windows 10: Shrink volume not showing all available space

Discus and support Shrink volume not showing all available space in Windows 10 Ask Insider to solve the problem; My 240gb SSD has 140gb of free space. But shrink volume will only allow 67gb, why does this happen? Edit: I just selected the "No paging file" option... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Ask Insider' started by /u/TheTomSawyer, Feb 26, 2021.

1. Shrink volume not showing all available space

My 240gb SSD has 140gb of free space. But shrink volume will only allow 67gb, why does this happen?

Edit: I just selected the "No paging file" option and it works now.

submitted by /u/TheTomSawyer
    [link] [comments]

:)

/u/TheTomSawyer, Feb 26, 2021
  2. tfd3 Win User

Shrinking a volume

Thanks, Stefano. At your suggestion I did a Defragmentation on the drive I want to shrink. That took almost a day on a 1 TB drive. The drive is now 0% fragmented. But still I'm getting "wrong perameter" when I try to shrink the volume. Here's a screenshot
    of the dialog window for shrinking the drive:

The amount of space I last put in to shrink was 50012. Any idea why that didn't work?

Tom

3. DaveM121 Win User
    Shrinking a volume

Hi tfd3

Close Disk Management

Click your Start Button, then just type cmd

From the resulting list, right click Command Prompt and choose 'Run as Administrator'

Paste this command and hit Enter:

diskpart

Paste this command and hit Enter:

list volume

(note down the number of the Volume you intend to shrink)

Paste this command and hit Enter (replace x with correct volume number)

select volume x

extend filesystem

When that completes, close Command Prompt and try shrinking that partition again in Disk Management

DaveM121, Feb 26, 2021
  4. tfd3 Win User

Shrink volume not showing all available space

Shrinking a volume

Hi, Dave. I followed your instructions. All seemed to go well, but Disk Management still reports "The parameter is incorrect" when I try to shrink the volume.

Tom ()

--------------------------------

Thema:

Shrink volume not showing all available space

1. Shrink volume not showing all available space - Similar Threads - Shrink volume showing

2. Missing unallocated space after shrinking volume

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Missing unallocated space after shrinking volume: I'm using Windows 10 2019 LTSC. I have a 119 GB drive Disk 0. On this drive there is: - system partition 260 BM - C 113 GB- some "unallocated" but protected space 5.68 GB.I want to shrink C by 64 GB Rightclick -> Shrink volume... with 65536 typed in. C Has only 49 GB on...
  3. Missing unallocated space after shrinking volume

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Missing unallocated space after shrinking volume: I'm using Windows 10 2019 LTSC. I have a 119 GB drive Disk 0. On this drive there is: - system partition 260 BM - C 113 GB- some "unallocated" but protected space 5.68 GB.I want to shrink C by 64 GB Rightclick -> Shrink volume... with 65536 typed in. C Has only 49 GB on...
  4. Missing unallocated space after shrinking volume

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
  5. Size of available shrink space does not equate Free Space

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Size of available shrink space does not equate Free Space: I have an HP Pavilion Notebook with a SAMSUNG 870 EVO SATA SSD 500GB 2.5” as Internal Solid State Hard Drive. I am trying to shrink my primary Partition and create 100gb of unallocated space. In the File Explorer it shows that i have 133 GB of free space but when i try to...
  6. Size of available shrink space does not equate Free Space

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Size of available shrink space does not equate Free Space: I have an HP Pavilion Notebook with a SAMSUNG 870 EVO SATA SSD 500GB 2.5” as Internal Solid State Hard Drive. I am trying to shrink my primary Partition and create 100gb of unallocated space. In the File Explorer it shows that i have 133 GB of free space but when i try to...
  7. Size of available shrink space does not equate Free Space

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
  8. Missing unallocated space after volume shrink

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Missing unallocated space after volume shrink: I went to the disk management tool to shrink my SSD on which my Win10 is installed. I typed in something like 70GB and pressed shrink, after that instead of the unallocated space to appear so I can create a new partition, it just disappeared.I tried "TestDisk", "SFC" and...
  9. Windows Storage Spaces not showing all available drives

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Windows Storage Spaces not showing all available drives: [ATTACH] https://preview.redd.it/xc4ugtux3yy41.png?width=690&format=png&auto=webp&s=a6f01746401bdf05f5c7b70b10b1996b15ba4f7e https://preview.redd.it/v57b6xux3yy41.png?width=2227&format=png&auto=webp&s=33d1155491b2c9078e4203c5483018018b516c99 I just did a fresh Windows...
  10. Shrinking a volume

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Shrinking a volume: I'm having trouble trying to shrink a volume on an external hard drive. The Disk Management dialog window asks for the number of megabytes I want to reduce. Every time I try a number I get a "wrong perameter" error. Why?...