Windows 10: Shrinking a volume

Discus and support Shrinking a volume in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; I'm having trouble trying to shrink a volume on an external hard drive. The Disk Management dialog window asks for the number of megabytes I want to... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by tfd3, Feb 12, 2019.

1. tfd3 Win User

Shrinking a volume

I'm having trouble trying to shrink a volume on an external hard drive. The Disk Management dialog window asks for the number of megabytes I want to reduce. Every time I try a number I get a "wrong perameter" error. Why?

:)

2. undo partition shrink

Hi,

If you accidentally shrink the volume of your SSD partition, there is an option to extend the volume as well. To extend the volume of your SSD partition, follow the steps below:

• Press Windows key + X on your keyboard and select Disk Management.
    • Right-click the partition that you want to expand and click Extend Volume.
    • Select the amount of space that you want to extend.

Keep us in the loop with the result.

Gerard Qui, Feb 12, 2019
  3. mgreen10 Win User
    SHRINK C VOLUME TO SMALLER CAPACITY

I have the same issue. I have a brand new HP Envy 17t laptop and have put no files or apps on it. I tried to use Disk Management to shrink the C: system volume but it would only allow 50% shrink. I moved the pagefile.sys and swapfile.sys to another physical
    drive, E:, but this made no difference. I can still only shrink the C: volume to 50%.

Perhaps the only solution is to use a third-party partition editor like easeus or mini Partition Editor.

If you have any other suggestions, let me know.

Thanks!

mgreen10, Feb 12, 2019
  4. Shrinking a volume

Disk Management Shrink Volume wrong capacity

I have 6 partitions on my hard drive. Under Disk Management, when I select a partition and then "Shrink" all but one shows the total capacity correctly, along with the amount to shrink and then the remaining that will be left. However on one partition, when selecting shrink, the total capacity is the sum of the total plus the free, and not just the total capacity. As such, I cannot shrink this volume without an error. The capacity is about 350GB with the free about 200GB. When I select shrink, the total of the volume shows 550GB instead of 350GB. The correct capacity of 350GB shows correctly on the Disk Management listing and boxes on the initial screen and also under Properties on the File Manager. It is only when selecting the shrink option that it shows 550GB.

Coastalguy, Feb 12, 2019
Thema:

Shrinking a volume

1. Shrinking a volume - Similar Threads - Shrinking volume

2. Shrink volume size error. The last unmovable file appears to be: \$Extend\$UsnJrnl:$J:$DATA

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Shrink volume size error. The last unmovable file appears to be: \$Extend\$UsnJrnl:$J:$DATA: I want to partition my C: drive, but the available shrink volume size is very less even when is have around 900GB of free storage. I have already tried disabling the header, pager and system recovery file. It didn't work.The error in event viewer is given as: The last...
  3. Shrink volume size error. The last unmovable file appears to be: \$Extend\$UsnJrnl:$J:$DATA

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Shrink volume size error. The last unmovable file appears to be: \$Extend\$UsnJrnl:$J:$DATA: I want to partition my C: drive, but the available shrink volume size is very less even when is have around 900GB of free storage. I have already tried disabling the header, pager and system recovery file. It didn't work.The error in event viewer is given as: The last...
  4. Error: "the volume you have selected to shrink may be corrupted. Use chkdsk to fix the...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Error: "the volume you have selected to shrink may be corrupted. Use chkdsk to fix the...: Hi all,For some very specific context that may apply to the situation: I recently tried to install Linux Ubuntu onto my Windows 10 computer in order to complete some programming projects. I had just about completed the process and got to a few steps before actually...
  5. Error: "the volume you have selected to shrink may be corrupted. Use chkdsk to fix the...

Error: "the volume you have selected to shrink may be corrupted. Use chkdsk to fix the...: Hi all,For some very specific context that may apply to the situation: I recently tried to install Linux Ubuntu onto my Windows 10 computer in order to complete some programming projects. I had just about completed the process and got to a few steps before actually...
  6. Error: "the volume you have selected to shrink may be corrupted. Use chkdsk to fix the...

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  7. i can't shrink my windows C: volume although i have 30 gigs free. i dont know much about...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    i can't shrink my windows C: volume although i have 30 gigs free. i dont know much about...: i was trying to shrink my C: drive in order to dual boot but i cannot shrink it to the size i need.i was trying to get about 20 gigs free for my second os but i can't....
  8. i can't shrink my windows C: volume although i have 30 gigs free. i dont know much about...

i can't shrink my windows C: volume although i have 30 gigs free. i dont know much about...: i was trying to shrink my C: drive in order to dual boot but i cannot shrink it to the size i need.i was trying to get about 20 gigs free for my second os but i can't....
  9. How to recover files after accidentally shrinking a volume

How to recover files after accidentally shrinking a volume: I have a 16TB external drive full of pictures and videos that the drive letter wasn't showing up. I accidentally 'shrunk the volume', and now it says I have to format the disk. Is there any way of getting the pictures & videos back? Windows10...
  10. How to recover files after accidentally shrinking a volume

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    How to recover files after accidentally shrinking a volume: I have a 16TB external drive full of pictures and videos that the drive letter wasn't showing up. I accidentally 'shrunk the volume', and now it says I have to format the disk. Is there any way of getting the pictures & videos back? Windows10...