Windows 10: shrinking volume with OS on it

Discus and support shrinking volume with OS on it in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; Howdy, I've inherited a desktop with Windows 10 installed on a 1TB, single partition drive. For better or worse I belong to the "partitions" school,... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by nealzibub, Jan 30, 2017.

1. nealzibub Win User

shrinking volume with OS on it

Howdy,

I've inherited a desktop with Windows 10 installed on a 1TB, single partition drive. For better or worse I belong to the "partitions" school, and would like to partition this physical drive into 2 or maybe even 3 logical partitions.

From what I've found thus far, it appears that this is possible. However, using the Windows 10 disk management tool, when i try to shrink the volume with the OS on it, i just get a blue spinning circle, and after a few minutes i grow weary and abort.

I also have minitool partition wizard installed, and it has similar (but somewhat more...vague?) functionality. I'd like to think it would give me some pretty strongly-worded warnings like: Are you sure you want to do this? You're going to wipe out your OS!!!

But before I shoot myself in the foot in a major way, I want to be certain that I can shrink the volume down with the OS on it, and then partition the remaining space.

Or should i just let sleeping dogs lie and use a 1TB drive as a 1 TB drive?!?

Thanks in advance, Neal

:)

nealzibub, Jan 30, 2017

2. Repartioning the drive which has the OS

Is it possible to shrink and create a new volume from the C drive which has windows 10 OS using disk management without causing any problems to the OS?

Abdullah165, Jan 30, 2017
  3. DaveM121 Win User
    Repartioning the drive which has the OS

Hi Abdullah165, yes that is possible to do without any harm to the OS . . .

Open Disk Management (accessible by right clicking your Start Button)

Right click your C Drvie and choose Shrink Volume

Enter in the amount to shrink the partition by (1000MB - 1GB)

Let that process complete

Then right click the unallocated space and choose new Simple Volume

When asked to assign a drive letter accept the default letter provided

That's It!

DaveM121, Jan 30, 2017
  4. AddRAM Win User

AddRAM, Jan 30, 2017
  5. NavyLCDR New Member
    When you use the installed MiniTool Partition Wizard to shrink the OS partition, when you click apply it will reboot the computer into a command line and shrink the partition before the OS loads, then reboot again back into Windows.

NavyLCDR, Jan 30, 2017
  6. Bree New Member
    For an HDD there are speed advantages in using two partitions, which is probably why many OEM's routinely format their PC's with a second Data partition. There's no advantage for SSDs though.

How to Partition Your Hard Drive to Optimize Performance | PCWorld

Bree, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. shrinking volume with OS on it - Similar Threads - shrinking volume

2. Shrink volume size error. The last unmovable file appears to be: \$Extend\$UsnJrnl:$J:$DATA

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Shrink volume size error. The last unmovable file appears to be: \$Extend\$UsnJrnl:$J:$DATA: I want to partition my C: drive, but the available shrink volume size is very less even when is have around 900GB of free storage. I have already tried disabling the header, pager and system recovery file. It didn't work.The error in event viewer is given as: The last...
  3. Shrink volume size error. The last unmovable file appears to be: \$Extend\$UsnJrnl:$J:$DATA

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Shrink volume size error. The last unmovable file appears to be: \$Extend\$UsnJrnl:$J:$DATA: I want to partition my C: drive, but the available shrink volume size is very less even when is have around 900GB of free storage. I have already tried disabling the header, pager and system recovery file. It didn't work.The error in event viewer is given as: The last...
  4. Error: "the volume you have selected to shrink may be corrupted. Use chkdsk to fix the...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Error: "the volume you have selected to shrink may be corrupted. Use chkdsk to fix the...: Hi all,For some very specific context that may apply to the situation: I recently tried to install Linux Ubuntu onto my Windows 10 computer in order to complete some programming projects. I had just about completed the process and got to a few steps before actually...
  5. Error: "the volume you have selected to shrink may be corrupted. Use chkdsk to fix the...

Error: "the volume you have selected to shrink may be corrupted. Use chkdsk to fix the...: Hi all,For some very specific context that may apply to the situation: I recently tried to install Linux Ubuntu onto my Windows 10 computer in order to complete some programming projects. I had just about completed the process and got to a few steps before actually...
  6. Error: "the volume you have selected to shrink may be corrupted. Use chkdsk to fix the...

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  7. i can't shrink my windows C: volume although i have 30 gigs free. i dont know much about...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    i can't shrink my windows C: volume although i have 30 gigs free. i dont know much about...: i was trying to shrink my C: drive in order to dual boot but i cannot shrink it to the size i need.i was trying to get about 20 gigs free for my second os but i can't....
  8. i can't shrink my windows C: volume although i have 30 gigs free. i dont know much about...

i can't shrink my windows C: volume although i have 30 gigs free. i dont know much about...: i was trying to shrink my C: drive in order to dual boot but i cannot shrink it to the size i need.i was trying to get about 20 gigs free for my second os but i can't....
  9. How to recover files after accidentally shrinking a volume

How to recover files after accidentally shrinking a volume: I have a 16TB external drive full of pictures and videos that the drive letter wasn't showing up. I accidentally 'shrunk the volume', and now it says I have to format the disk. Is there any way of getting the pictures & videos back? Windows10...
  10. How to recover files after accidentally shrinking a volume

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    How to recover files after accidentally shrinking a volume: I have a 16TB external drive full of pictures and videos that the drive letter wasn't showing up. I accidentally 'shrunk the volume', and now it says I have to format the disk. Is there any way of getting the pictures & videos back? Windows10...