Windows 10: Shut down computer when on battery

Discus and support Shut down computer when on battery in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Hello, I need to be able to shut down my ASUS R517S laptop whenever it is running on battery (which is internal and cannot be removed easily). OS:... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by as303, Jun 8, 2017.

1. as303 Win User

Shut down computer when on battery

Hello,

I need to be able to shut down my ASUS R517S laptop whenever it is running on battery (which is internal and cannot be removed easily). OS: Windows 10 Home.

Why? Working in a offshore environment with a "everything-should-shutdown-if-rig-loses-power-supply-policy".

What i've tried so far: Change advanced power settings->Battery->Set low battery level to 100% and in low battery action set to shutdown if "On battery". This does not work - when i test and unplug the power chord, i only get a bluescreen with a "low battery" warning. After this it resumes to desktop and nothing happens (also tried sleep/hibernate options - but nothing is happening).

Any ideas?

:)

as303, Jun 8, 2017

2. COMPUTER WHEN SHUT DOWN DISCHARGES BATTERY- WINDOWS 10 PRO

Hi Acharia,

Thank you for posting your query in Microsoft Community.

We would be glad to help you with the issue you are facing today. I understand the difficulty with the problem.

Method: 1

You can run the Power troubleshooter to adjust your computer's power settings. The Power troubleshooter checks things like your computer's timeout settings, which determine how long the computer waits before turning off the monitor
    display or entering sleep mode. Adjusting these settings can help you conserve power and extend your computer's battery life.

Refer these steps:

• Press Windows key +X, select Control panel.
    • Change the view by option on the top right to Large icons.
    • Click on troubleshooting and click on the view all option on the left panel.
    • Run the Power troubleshooter.
    Method: 2

Perform a clean Boot.

A clean boot is performed to start Windows by using a minimal set of drivers and startup programs. This helps eliminate software conflicts that occur when you install a program or an update or when you run a program in Windows
    10, Windows 8.1, Windows 8, Windows 7, or Windows Vista. You may also troubleshoot or determine what conflict is causing the problem by performing a clean boot.

Place the computer in a Clean Boot and check if the issue is occurring due to any third party programs.

Follow the link to view the steps to perform Clean Boot:

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/929135

Disclaimer:
    Start the computer in normal mode refer the section,
    "How to reset the computer to start normally after clean boot troubleshooting"
    from the link above.

For reference:

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows-8/battery-meter-frequently-asked-questions

Hope this helps in resolving the issue. If the issue persists, do get back to us. We will be happy to assist you.

Thank you.

Mohammed AliAli, Jun 8, 2017
  3. COMPUTER WHEN SHUT DOWN DISCHARGES BATTERY- WINDOWS 10 PRO

I have Acer S7-392 Ultrabook with i6 4210U 1...70 to 2.40GHz process 8GB RAM and 128GB SSD. The exact model is: S7-392-54218G12tws manufactured 14/02/15 and first booted on 15/05/201. Came with windows 8.1 professional and was upgraded
    to windows 10 under the free programme.

Since 5th of November when I switch on in the morning after complete shutdown making sure no process is running, I find that the battery is discharge d and will take 53 minutes to full charge. The percentage
    of battery discharged is not indicated.

Norton Diagnostics showed that the System Idle process has been running since 14 hours 56 minutes and 48 seconds. It is happeing every day..

I will appreciate any help in this matter.

K M Acharia, Jun 8, 2017
  4. dalchina New Member

This does not seem straightforward although it seems simple. Do you not have an IT department responsible for your equipment?

I don't believe there's a suitable task scheduler trigger.

dalchina, Jun 8, 2017
  5. as303 Win User
    This is my personal laptop, not company equipment. You are right, it cannot be automated from Windows task scheduler, currently investigating alternatives to that, but no luck yet

as303, Jun 8, 2017
  6. dalchina New Member
    You could possibly trigger a shutdown from event id 327.

If you switch your laptop to battery, noting the time, then look at your event log, you should be able to check that id.

(I'd have thought if there's a company policy in a safety conscious environment, health and safety would have meant your company takes responsibility for all kit so it complies..)

dalchina, Jun 8, 2017
  7. The only thing I can think of is to write a script that constantly monitors / polls the computer to see if its using battery or not.

Then if it is using battery issues the shutdown command.

You'd place the script in the startup folder so it runs as soon as you boot.

I guess you could look into using python or powershell to write this and look for a library that monitors the power useage... or put the question up on a coding site and offer some cash to get a student to write it.

ScottishSmile, Jun 8, 2017
  8. dalchina New Member

This would be much easier and 'cleaner':

Shut down computer when on battery [​IMG]

- assuming the event id is correct, and is generated on switching to battery.

(There's some discussion here and there on this, so needs verification of course).

Command e.g.
    shutdown.exe -s -t 00
    Shutdown

dalchina, Jun 8, 2017
  9. as303 Win User
    This might work, by running shutdown.exe, but i'm not sure how i can create a trigger just from event 327

as303, Jun 8, 2017
  10. dalchina New Member
    Set up a task as per my #6

But first check the event id in Event Viewer as I suggested before

dalchina, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Shut down computer when on battery - Similar Threads - Shut down computer

2. Laptop shuts down even when there's enough battery!

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Laptop shuts down even when there's enough battery!: The title says it allThe laptop shuts down- with a warning that comes a split second before it shuts down. Honestly, that isn't enough time to turn on the switch. The last time this happened, my HP laptop had more than 40% charging I'm sure and yet!My earlier post regarding...
  3. Laptop shuts down even when there's enough battery!

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Laptop shuts down even when there's enough battery!: The title says it allThe laptop shuts down- with a warning that comes a split second before it shuts down. Honestly, that isn't enough time to turn on the switch. The last time this happened, my HP laptop had more than 40% charging I'm sure and yet!My earlier post regarding...
  4. Laptop shuts down even when there's enough battery!

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. My laptop's shutting down when battery is at 35% it shuts down without any warning.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    My laptop's shutting down when battery is at 35% it shuts down without any warning.: My laptop shutting down when battery level comes to 30-40% without any warning it shuts down i know that it warns when the battery level comes to 15% but my laptop doesn't even come to 15% it shuts down before that like when it's 35% . Please I want to know that is it windows...
  6. My laptop's shutting down when battery is at 35% it shuts down without any warning.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    My laptop's shutting down when battery is at 35% it shuts down without any warning.: My laptop shutting down when battery level comes to 30-40% without any warning it shuts down i know that it warns when the battery level comes to 15% but my laptop doesn't even come to 15% it shuts down before that like when it's 35% . Please I want to know that is it windows...
  7. Battery drains when laptop is shut down

Battery drains when laptop is shut down: ASUS Rog Strix III Laptop. Before I start: I have hibernate sleep disabled, Fast start up disabled and I disabled suspended standby I think, but I can't find it anymore. Not sure while MS always moves those things around or renames them. Especially when they cause known...
  8. PC Shuts Down when on battery

PC Shuts Down when on battery: My Win 10 Home edition PC shuts down when it is on battery. The shutdown occurs after 30 minutes which is my setting for when the PC should sleep on battery power. Everything works fine while battery power until the 30 minutes of non use has the PC go to sleep. Any advice...
  9. Computer shuts down when idle

in Windows 10 Support
    Computer shuts down when idle: Hi. Right after installing yesterday’s Windows Updates, my computer started shutting down after being idle (or as soon as the screensaver came on). I’ve run Avast! and Maleware Bytes — both are clear, and I’ve tried clearing my browsers’ cache. Nothing seems to work....
  10. Computer shuts down when idle?

in Windows 10 Support
    Computer shuts down when idle?: have made sure that all the settings i can find in power options for shutting the PC down when idle are either set to never or disabled but must have missed something somewhere? after 20 minutes or so the PC shuts itself off..... any ideas? I originally suspected a non...