Windows 10: Shut down does not sign user out first

Discus and support Shut down does not sign user out first in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Windows 10 ‘Keeps you signed-in’ test: - (Windows 10 Home 64-bit v1803, Build 17134.523 - Set up as Local Account) Test 1 - Not signed-out: 1. Sign-in... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by wiganken, Jan 19, 2019.

1. wiganken Win User

Shut down does not sign user out first

Windows 10 ‘Keeps you signed-in’ test: -
    (Windows 10 Home 64-bit v1803, Build 17134.523 - Set up as Local Account)

Test 1 - Not signed-out:
    1. Sign-in as ‘Visitor’ and then ‘Shut down’ without signing out.
    2. Switch back on and sign-in as ‘Another User’ then shut down again. In this case an alert as follows appears: - “Someone else is still using this machine. If you shut down now they could lose unsaved work”. This proves that W10 did not sign 'Visitor' out before shutting down.

Test 2 - Signed-out:
    3. Sign-in as ‘Visitor’ and sign-out first then ‘Shut down’ from sign-in screen.
    4. Switch back on and sign-in as ‘Another User’ then shut down again. In this case no alerts appear but it is now ‘Another User’ who remains signed-in because they did not sign out before shutting down.

The above does not happen in Windows 8.1 which signs you out when you shut down the PC. It is clear that Windows 10 keeps you signed-in until you sign out manually. Is this a bug or setting on my Windows 10 Home machine or is it how W10 works?

I have looked for settings such as “Sign user out when user shuts down computer” but cannot find any.

I have tried switching ‘Fast start’ off but this does not fix the problem. All it does is increase the boot time.

I have seen a couple of sources that state that clicking ‘Start’ then ‘Shut-down’ is really hibernating and that W10 logs the user off before creating the hibernate file but in my case it is not signing a user out first so it may be a bug.

In order to bypass this Windows 10 problem/bug can anyone tell me if the following batch file script would sign-out the current user first then continue (after sign out is complete) to the ‘Shut down’ phase and shut down the laptop?
    The batch file would be named “LO & SD.bat” (Log Off & Shut Down) and I would put it on each user’s desktop. Proposed script as follows: -

@ echo OFF
    Shutdown /l (That is a letter l at the end, not a number 1)
    Shutdown

I know I could try it and see how I get on but running batch files can have unwanted consequences and I did not want to confuse my OS and put it into a loop I can't get out of.

Any ideas welcome. Thanks.

:)

wiganken, Jan 19, 2019

2. How to sign in to Windows 10 as different User

Hi,

There are several ways that you can do to switch between your 2 accounts, such as going through
    Start menu, through Ctrl +
    Alt
    + Delete screen, through Sign-in
    screen or through Task Manager. For us to isolate the issue, we would like to ask the following questions:

• Are you connected to a domain or managed by Windows Server?
    • Have you made any recent changes to your system settings prior to this issue?
    • What troubleshooting steps have you done so far?

In the meantime, we suggest that you follow these steps to switch user account:

• Click/tap on your desktop to make it the current focused (active) window, and press
      Alt + F4 keys to open Shut Down Windows window.
    • Click on the drop down menu and select Switch user.
    • You will now be taken to the lock screen to unlock.
    • It will show you the sign-in screen to select and sign in to the account you want to switch to.

We will wait for your response.

Janeane Cru, Jan 19, 2019
  3. Kreij Win User
    Current active users that are friends

The other reason I suggested this is that users can add characters to their username that are not alphanumeric (e.g. user*). This confuses things somewhat when looking at the list.

Kreij, Jan 19, 2019
  4. Shut down does not sign user out first

Edge Search Does Not Permit Change of Region

I got these suggestions from the Microsoft Community forum.No. 1 worked for me:

Thank you for posting the query on Microsoft Community. I am glad to assist you on this.
    We have reproduce the issue here and we are able to access non-regional search for google using Microsoft Edge.
    I would suggest you to try the below steps and check if it helps.
    Step 1:
    Clear browsing data option of Microsoft Edge and check if you face the issue. To do so perform the steps below.

1. Click on the More actions icon next to the feedback icon present on top right corner of the Project Spartan homepage.
    2. Select Settings and click on Choose what to clear.
    3. Check the boxes Browsing history, Cookies and saved website data and Cached data and files and click on Clear.
    Step 2:
    I suggest you to create a new user account and check if the issue occurs.

1. Go to Settings.
    2. Choose Accounts and then select Family and other users.
    3. Select add someone else on this PC.
    4. Enter a user name and hit next.
    5. Click on Finish.
    6. Sign out from the current Account and Log into the new account.
    Step 3:
    It could also happen because of network issue. I suggest you to try with different network connection and check if it helps.

hurricane51, Jan 19, 2019
Thema:

Shut down does not sign user out first

1. Shut down does not sign user out first - Similar Threads - Shut down does

2. Laptop does not shut down.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Laptop does not shut down.: After pressing the shut down button, it says shutting down on the screen and it turns off, but the laptop remains on, the fans still spinning and keyboard backlight still going, none of the buttons work, and the only thing I am able to do at that point is holding the power...
  3. User sign out/sign in

in Windows 10 Gaming
    User sign out/sign in: Do i need to sign out every time from one user to another? What if i keep both of them signed in? I need to sign out,only if the computer is running slow because both of em are using ram?...
  4. User sign out/sign in

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    User sign out/sign in: Do i need to sign out every time from one user to another? What if i keep both of them signed in? I need to sign out,only if the computer is running slow because both of em are using ram?...
  5. Sign Out, Shut Down, Restart doesn't work

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Sign Out, Shut Down, Restart doesn't work: Hello, I am here to say that my windows doesn't shut down when i ask it to. Do any of you have a fix for this? Thank you for your time reading this. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/sign-out-shut-down-restart-doesnt-work/ae02e2a6-69f4-4a9c-b2b4-31c68bf20463
  6. My laptop fully shuts down/signs me out when i shut it

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    My laptop fully shuts down/signs me out when i shut it: My laptop fully shuts down when i shut its lid/screen... is there anyway to fix it? Model : X441BA Asus computer https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/my-laptop-fully-shuts-downsigns-me-out-when-i-shut/9d6407e3-5227-4393-a170-704e5e3135b2
  7. Signed in automatically after signing out (without shutting down)

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    Signed in automatically after signing out (without shutting down): I have a number of standard window users without passwords. Sometimes when I use the sign-out option, the account is signed out but then automatically signs in again. Usually this only happens once but sometimes it repeats a second time. The accounts are local accounts. Any...
  8. The system shut down without Cleanly shutting down first Kernel-Power

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    The system shut down without Cleanly shutting down first Kernel-Power: I have been getting this Event ID: 41 I in the past had several of these and changed motherboard which seems have fixed the issue, however it seems to have returned again. The last previous was back in 2016-12-02 this morning I get up to my main business computer/server has...
  9. Enable Detailed Status Messages at Shut down, Sign out, and Sign in

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Enable Detailed Status Messages at Shut down, Sign out, and Sign in: How to: Enable Detailed Status Messages at Shut down, Sign out, and Sign in [img] Information By default, only the default status messages are displayed to the user during the process of starting, shutting down, signing in, or signing out of Windows. If you like, you...
  10. shut down of PC without sign off of other user

in Windows 10 Support
    shut down of PC without sign off of other user: I have two user, one with admin rights and other local standards. I have set up my PC to automatically sign in local user. My question is if admin sign in without sign off of local and thus shut down the PC, a message appears that another user is already sign in and will lose...