Windows 10: Shut down, System Restore, Reboot Issue

Discus and support Shut down, System Restore, Reboot Issue in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Lately I am having an issue when doing a proper shutdown or reboot from a working desktop. Every time I shut down or reboot, My laptop starts to boot,... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by BobbyG, Sep 30, 2017.

1. BobbyG Win User

Shut down, System Restore, Reboot Issue

Lately I am having an issue when doing a proper shutdown or reboot from a working desktop.
    Every time I shut down or reboot, My laptop starts to boot, shuts down automatically and reboots to Automatic Repair.
    Automatic repair fails after diagnosing.

I have tried all the standard bootrec /fix commands but it boots, starts to load shuts down and reboots to automatic repair and fails again after diagnosing.I am getting a [1] c:\Windows option when I enter the rebuildbcd command and get the error message of "cannot find system device".

I can do a system restore and it boots just fine.
    I cannot get into safe mode because if I reboot, it goes directly to the above mentioned boot mode.
    I cannot identify any drivers causing the issue. I have looked at device manager and suspect one of two drivers that might be the cause. One is the synaptics trackpad driver and the other is a microsoft bluetooth device that i don't recognize.
    I can uninstall them however if I reboot, right back to the failed automatic repair after diagnosing.

I can always get back in with a system restore.

Any help tracking down this reboot issue would be appreciated.

:)

BobbyG, Sep 30, 2017

2. I attempted to revert back to windows 7 on my netbook (10 was way to slow) now computer will not reboot in either 7 or 10

Tried unsuccessfully to return to Windows 7. Computer shuts down, reboots, "working circle" the " Attempting to restore your previous version of Windows" shuts down, reboots, same cycle

AlanDobrowolski, Sep 30, 2017
  3. Unable to save a Restore Point in Windows 10

I can establish a Restore point with no problem in system restore. The point I established stays current as long as I do not reboot the system? If I reboot the point is no longer there. The same thing happens if I shut down and restart the system ? I Win
    8.1 The most current restore point would remain regardless if I rebooted or restarted ?? Also I have yet to see an automatic restore point established ??

Thanks -- -- L:
    *** Email address is removed for privacy ***

< Original Title: Restore Point >

george wells, Sep 30, 2017
  4. Shut down, System Restore, Reboot Issue

Please open Command Prompt as a administrator and type following command:

Code: Chkdsk C: /r[/quote] You will be prompted to schedule a error checking type Y and press Enter key. Reboot your computer.

FreeBooter, Oct 1, 2017
  5. BobbyG Win User
    I have tried SFC, Chkdsk, bootrec and none of them work especially if they require a reboot. I am pretty convinced the issue is the rebuildbcd command error is at the root of the problem, I just don't know the command(s) to repair that error.

BobbyG, Oct 1, 2017
  6. Type the following commands at the Windows RE command prompt:

• c:
    • bcdedit /export C:\BCD_Backup
    • cd boot
    • attrib bcd -s -h -r
    • ren c:\boot\bcd bcd.old
    • bootrec /RebuildBcd

Please replace partition letter C: with Windows installed partition letter. When computer boots into Windows Recovery Environment (WinRE) environment the drive letter assign to Windows partition may not be C: drive letter because Windows 7, 8 , 8.1 and 10 creates a separate system partition when it's installed from scratch. The system partition contains boot files WinRE assigns the system partition the C: drive letter and the Windows installed partition will be assign any other drive letter usually D: drive letter is assign to Windows installed partition. The Bcdedit /enum | find "osdevice" command can be use to find out the drive letter of the Windows installed partition the output of the Bcdedit command is similar to this osdevice partition=D:. The drive letter after partition= is the drive letter of the Windows partition.

FreeBooter, Oct 1, 2017
  7. dalchina New Member
    Just to test an assumption that something corrupts your system in some manner if you boot normally... try this sequence.
    Run System Restore as you have been doing.
    Boot to the lock screen, then at the login screen do not log in.
    Instead, click the power button bottom right, then SHIFT + left click Restart and see if you can then boot to Safe Mode.

If you can, that suggests the assumption is true, as you've not run start-ups or connected to the internet.

dalchina, Oct 1, 2017
  8. BobbyG Win User

Thanks to both of you. I will try both of these this evening. I found this in the SrtTrail.txt log file. Boot critical file C:\WINDOWS\System32\drivers\ACPI.sys is corrupt. Any ideas on this?

BobbyG, Oct 1, 2017
  9. If you can boot into Windows OS open the command prompt as administrator and execute following command.

Code: Sfc /Scannow[/quote] This command tool will try to repair any corrupted system files.

If you cannot boot into Windows OS boot your computer with Windows Setup Media and from Windows Recovery Environment start the Command Prompt.

Please type below command into Command Prompt and press Enter key.

The following command scans integrity of all protected Windows system files and repairs files with problems when possible.

Code: Sfc /Scannow /OFFBOOTDIR=D:\ /OFFWINDIR=D:\Windows[/quote]

Please replace partition letter D: with Windows installed partition letter. When computer boots into Windows Recovery Environment (WinRE) environment the drive letter assign to Windows partition may not be C: drive letter because Windows 7, 8 , 8.1 and 10 creates a separate system partition when it's installed from scratch. The system partition contains boot files WinRE assigns the system partition the C: drive letter and the Windows installed partition will be assign any other drive letter usually D: drive letter is assign to Windows installed partition. The Bcdedit /enum | find "osdevice" command can be use to find out the drive letter of the Windows installed partition the output of the Bcdedit command is similar to this osdevice partition=D:. The drive letter after partition= is the drive letter of the Windows partition.

FreeBooter, Oct 1, 2017
  10. zbook New Member
    @FreeBooter do you have some good sources to learn the commands?

If the partition is on D how would you change these commands?

• c:
    • cd boot
    • attrib bcd -s -h -r
    • bootrec /RebuildBcd

which c remain the same and which c are changed to d?

What happens if the sequence does not have cd boot and has this sequence:

bootrec /fixmbr
    bootrec /fixboot
    bcdedit /export c:\bcdbackup
    attrib c:\boot\bcd -h -r -s
    ren c:\boot\bcd bcd.old
    bootrec /rebuildbcd
    y

If the operating system were windows 7 instead of windows 10 would anything change?
    On windows 7 are there separate partitions for boot and system? If so how would the above commands change?

zbook, Oct 1, 2017
  11. BobbyG Win User
    zbook, you will need to determine which partition that windows is installed on you can experiment by typing cd c: then type dir if windows isn't there then change to cd d: then type dir. Whichever drive windows is on, you will need to change to that drive and use that letter in the commands.

It has been awhile since I used DOS commands you may just need to type c:\ or d:\ with no cd

BobbyG, Oct 1, 2017
  12. zbook New Member
    If rebuildbcd displays:

Scanning all disks for windows installations.
    Please wait...
    Successfully scanned Windows Installations.
    Total identified Windows Installations: 0
    The operation competed successfully.

What would be the interpretation and the next step?

zbook, Oct 1, 2017
  13. zbook New Member

For this sequence is the drive letter the same for each command line so that all c become all d?

• c:
    • cd boot
    • attrib bcd -s -h -r
    • bootrec /RebuildBcd
    and what happens if there is no cd boot in the command sequence?

Any references to learn the commands along with simulated sequences for different problems is appreciated.

zbook, Oct 2, 2017
  14. I have made a mistake with drive letter BCD store is located at C: partition so there is no need to change below commands.

• c:
    • cd boot
    • attrib bcd -s -h -r
    • bootrec /RebuildBcd

FreeBooter, Oct 2, 2017
  15. dalchina New Member
    Hi, @BobbyG reported
    = PC boots again
    3. ACPI.sys is a driver, and thus protected by System Restore.

Therefore, it is possible something is corrupting this (obscure) once the PC is booted.

That is why I suggested the sequence in Post #5, which is not difficult to try.
    @BobbyG- could you do that and report the result if you've not tried it?

On another track, please
    a. Run Startup Repair - you'll need to boot from a Win 10 installation disk.
    (Presumably you're starting system restore having booted from Win 10 installation disk so you have one.)
    b. Post a screenshot of your partitions using Minitool Partition Wizard
    - expand all columns as necessary so all text is visible.
    To post a screenshot please use the Insert Image icon above your post to the left of the video icon. Thanks.

dalchina, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Shut down, System Restore, Reboot Issue - Similar Threads - Shut down System

2. System shuts down

in Windows 10 Gaming
    System shuts down: I have a strix g15 advantage edition it's plugged to an external monitor. I turned on the laptop and it said that windows has replaced the drivers or something like that and the drivers just disappeared. This has happened a couple times and this time I got mad and hit my...
  3. System shuts down

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    System shuts down: I have a strix g15 advantage edition it's plugged to an external monitor. I turned on the laptop and it said that windows has replaced the drivers or something like that and the drivers just disappeared. This has happened a couple times and this time I got mad and hit my...
  4. Shut down issue

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Shut down issue: I can't seem to shut down my computer. The only thing that the computer will do is reset. Before I switched to Windows, I was using a HAckintosh. The Hackintosh is known for the shutdown not working. Can anybody give me any tips on what to do. Windows is working fine but...
  5. system shutting down

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    system shutting down: when i tried to open google meets in either chrome or in edge system shutting down and i am getting green screen with stop code error 'SYSTEM SERVICE EXCEPTION'. Under what failed getting 'SPUVCbv x64sys...
  6. Shutting down the system !

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Shutting down the system !: Several months ago I have notice shutting down system sign. Is there a malware ? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/protect/forum/all/shutting-down-the-system/bd1aa22b-112d-4b31-a8cc-1d0661b4a725
  7. Shutting Down Issue

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Shutting Down Issue: Hi there! Have you noticed the last days a strange issue, on Windows software? I can not shut down my laptop, so I get forced to press the button of laptop.... Is it a Window's Update issue? Will it be improved? submitted by /u/Phoenixz02 [link] [comments]...
  8. System is shutting down

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    System is shutting down: After the recent update, my system laptop shuts down automatically, when its not intended to; for example when the lid is closed it is supposed to sleep, yes i have checked the power settings;- it is set to sleep and other scenarios where i leave the computer to sleep for a...
  9. The system has rebooted without cleanly shutting down first

in Windows 10 Support
    The system has rebooted without cleanly shutting down first: ( The system has rebooted without cleanly shutting down first) Event ID 41. I found these errors on event viewer No BSOD NO restarting automatically I think it happens sometimes when I restart the PC. It's a fresh install Windows 10 and brand new gaming PC 57586
  10. shutting down system

in Windows 10 Support
    shutting down system: For some reason my system will not shut down and turn off completely under windows 10; only my monitor will go into power save mode but my system itself will just restart. Is this because I have a board that is not windows 10 compatible and the fact that its using just very...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. shutting down system restore