Windows 10: Shut Down

Discus and support Shut Down in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; When I boot win 10 it runs for a few minutes then shuts down. No BOSD. Reboot & everything is OK! I can press & hold the start button until the... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by Tully, Aug 10, 2015.

1. Tully Win User

Shut Down

When I boot win 10 it runs for a few minutes then shuts down. No BOSD.
    Reboot & everything is OK!

I can press & hold the start button until the light goes out & reboot again & again, but if a shut for a long period it happens again!

One of the fixes is to run a command using Command Prompt under "Administrator!.
    The instruction say to type in "Command Line" then choose "Administrator".

When I do that, it goes straight into the command line without any choices!

Help

:)

Tully, Aug 10, 2015
  2. 707606 Win User

PC wont shut down, using start menu > shut down.

My computer restarts if I shut down from the start menu.

If I shut it down from the sign out > shut down however, it shuts down properly and doesn't restart.

So my question is.

What's wrong with my start menu > shut down?

Is the the button itself?

It's funny how the sign out > shut down does it's job. But the start menu doesn't and just restarts my computer.

I've tried fixing it in many ways, I figured it was a power issue. I messed with my power and sleep and such options, even regedit and other areas.

Nothing helped.

I don't spot any errors or device problems. My updates are fine and I don't have any blue screens or anything. It's just the shut down command on the start menu that keeps restarting my computer.

What I've been doing is start menu > shut down. Once it restarts I go to the shut down in the sign in screen and it shuts down.

But I've just decided to not hurt my computer anymore and go to sign out> shut down since.

I'll repeat once more.

My computer wont shut down using start menu > shut down. It restarts.

My computer shuts down, if i use start menu > sign out > shut down. Then it shuts down properly and wont restart.

What's the problem?

707606, Aug 10, 2015
  3. Craigcam Win User
    Can't shut down my Dell Laptop (intel) with Shut Down button.

I fixed this on Windows 10 Pro 1709 in a new system by going into the BIOS and changing the Boot order.

I have all SSDs in my system but the boot SSD drive appeared twice with a Windows Boot manager as the first name.

So I changed the Windows boot manager located on my Boot drive to the second drive and the boot drive (the same drive I know this is confusing) as the first boot choice.

Don't ask me why this worked, but it did!

Onward!

Craigcam, Aug 10, 2015
Thema:

Shut Down

1. Shut Down - Similar Threads - Shut Down

2. SPro1 turns-on to Shutting Down screen, help please!

in Windows 10 Support
    SPro1 turns-on to Shutting Down screen, help please!: Shut down SPro1 last night and then packed it away, went to turn it on later-on, got the Surface logo, and then instead of logging-into Windows, it went to a Shutting Down screen instead. Longpress Power for 30 secs, Two button shutdown (Vol Up+Power for 15 secs), Longpress...
  3. Windows 10 getting automatically locked 2 to 3 times and then shut down completely

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Windows 10 getting automatically locked 2 to 3 times and then shut down completely: Guys, I am facing an issue with windows 10 OS 1903 version like I am experiencing this after update. My system gets locked automatically while I am working or moved away for few seconds and this continues even after I have turned off every setting related to lock screen....
  4. computer shuts down randomly showing"the opwerating system did not shut down cleanly"

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    computer shuts down randomly showing"the opwerating system did not shut down cleanly": computer shuts down randomly showing"the opwerating system did not shut down cleanly" new computer, don't know why, have optane enabled https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/computer-shuts-down-randomly-showingthe-opwerating/a68f7186-4c26-4180-95b6-6daf60c2dc25
  5. Windows not shutting down since the recent upgrade

Windows not shutting down since the recent upgrade: Windows 10 not shutting down properly since the recent upgrade. It starts shutting down, it displays 'shutting down' then screen goes black, power light stays on and it doesn't shut down....
  6. HP Laptop shutting down without warning.

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    HP Laptop shutting down without warning.: Hello, I have been having an issue with my HP Laptop for a few days, my device would shut itself down when the battery is around 20-30% without warning and before the battery saver mode is turned on which is supposed to give me plenty of time to plug the charger in. Once I...
  7. My Dell XPS 8900 running Windows 10 V1903 shuts down when it goes to sleep mode. Help...

My Dell XPS 8900 running Windows 10 V1903 shuts down when it goes to sleep mode. Help...: Dear Friends: My problem is straight forward. When Computer goes into sleep mode whether it is done manually or automatically, it shuts down. Please be aware that I tried the Dell support to resolve it. Obviously, they could not do it despite trying all their trouble...
  8. Shut Down Problems

Shut Down Problems: Greetings, I have yesterday updated to the newer insider build of windows 10, i am currently on version 1903 build 18999.1. Since the update i have noted that my PC takes ages to either restart or shut down, not sure why or what's causing it . If any1 of you could help...
  9. Windows shuts down before completing update

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Windows shuts down before completing update: As the title states, Windows shuts down before the cumulative updates can finish. It gets to exactly 7% every time before shutting off completely. I've had this computer for about four months and I cannot recall it ever actually completing. The error code I'm getting when...
  10. Laptop shutting down

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Laptop shutting down: Hello, I have been having an issue with my HP Laptop for a few days, my device would shut itself down before the battery saver mode even came on, now it locks my Laptop quickly as soon as it asks me to plug my charger in and the battery saver mode, but it locks itself so...