Windows 10: Shut Down

Discus and support Shut Down in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; When I boot win 10 it runs for a few minutes then shuts down. No BOSD. Reboot & everything is OK! I can press & hold the start button until the... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by Tully, Aug 10, 2015.

1. Tully Win User

Shut Down

When I boot win 10 it runs for a few minutes then shuts down. No BOSD.
    Reboot & everything is OK!

I can press & hold the start button until the light goes out & reboot again & again, but if a shut for a long period it happens again!

One of the fixes is to run a command using Command Prompt under "Administrator!.
    The instruction say to type in "Command Line" then choose "Administrator".

When I do that, it goes straight into the command line without any choices!

Help

:)

Tully, Aug 10, 2015
  2. 707606 Win User

PC wont shut down, using start menu > shut down.

My computer restarts if I shut down from the start menu.

If I shut it down from the sign out > shut down however, it shuts down properly and doesn't restart.

So my question is.

What's wrong with my start menu > shut down?

Is the the button itself?

It's funny how the sign out > shut down does it's job. But the start menu doesn't and just restarts my computer.

I've tried fixing it in many ways, I figured it was a power issue. I messed with my power and sleep and such options, even regedit and other areas.

Nothing helped.

I don't spot any errors or device problems. My updates are fine and I don't have any blue screens or anything. It's just the shut down command on the start menu that keeps restarting my computer.

What I've been doing is start menu > shut down. Once it restarts I go to the shut down in the sign in screen and it shuts down.

But I've just decided to not hurt my computer anymore and go to sign out> shut down since.

I'll repeat once more.

My computer wont shut down using start menu > shut down. It restarts.

My computer shuts down, if i use start menu > sign out > shut down. Then it shuts down properly and wont restart.

What's the problem?

707606, Aug 10, 2015
  3. Craigcam Win User
    Can't shut down my Dell Laptop (intel) with Shut Down button.

I fixed this on Windows 10 Pro 1709 in a new system by going into the BIOS and changing the Boot order.

I have all SSDs in my system but the boot SSD drive appeared twice with a Windows Boot manager as the first name.

So I changed the Windows boot manager located on my Boot drive to the second drive and the boot drive (the same drive I know this is confusing) as the first boot choice.

Don't ask me why this worked, but it did!

Onward!

Craigcam, Aug 10, 2015
Thema:

Shut Down

1. Shut Down - Similar Threads - Shut Down

2. My pc does not shut down anymore

in Windows 10 Gaming
    My pc does not shut down anymore: It only restarts even I click on the shutdown button. Same things happen when I use the alt F4 command. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/my-pc-does-not-shut-down-anymore/74ba0024-c819-4685-969b-f44af47c5e26
  3. My pc does not shut down anymore

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    My pc does not shut down anymore: It only restarts even I click on the shutdown button. Same things happen when I use the alt F4 command. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/my-pc-does-not-shut-down-anymore/74ba0024-c819-4685-969b-f44af47c5e26
  4. My pc does not shut down anymore

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
  5. Windows restarts on SHUT DOWN and update

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows restarts on SHUT DOWN and update: Microsoft what the f are you doing when I click "SHUT DOWN and update" I freakin want my pc to turn off not to restart wait a few seconds type my password and wait again, click shut down, then wait AGAIN another 2~3 minutes to turn off and then to see its off. And the f-in...
  6. Windows restarts on SHUT DOWN and update

Windows restarts on SHUT DOWN and update: Microsoft what the f are you doing when I click "SHUT DOWN and update" I freakin want my pc to turn off not to restart wait a few seconds type my password and wait again, click shut down, then wait AGAIN another 2~3 minutes to turn off and then to see its off. And the f-in...
  7. Windows restarts on SHUT DOWN and update

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  8. Should I shut down my computer every time I plug in my scanner?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Should I shut down my computer every time I plug in my scanner?: Should I shut down my computer to plug in my scanner? I tend to do it to protect both items and historically, powering up the scanner 'with' the computer avoided twain error but I'm wondering if it's still necessary since I have to unplug my scanner and so therefore shut down...
  9. Should I shut down my computer every time I plug in my scanner?

Should I shut down my computer every time I plug in my scanner?: Should I shut down my computer to plug in my scanner? I tend to do it to protect both items and historically, powering up the scanner 'with' the computer avoided twain error but I'm wondering if it's still necessary since I have to unplug my scanner and so therefore shut down...
  10. Should I shut down my computer every time I plug in my scanner?

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware