Windows 10: Shutdown button does not work / Tasks can't be closed / Desktop issues

Discus and support Shutdown button does not work / Tasks can't be closed / Desktop issues in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Hey guys, I recently upgraded Windows 7 Pro to Windows 10 Pro (all 64-bit). Now I have some trouble with this OS. My current installation is a clean... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by Thomas2016, Oct 21, 2016.

1. Shutdown button does not work / Tasks can't be closed / Desktop issues

Hey guys,

I recently upgraded Windows 7 Pro to Windows 10 Pro (all 64-bit). Now I have some trouble with this OS. My current installation is a clean installation from a bootable device.

First of all, my shutdown button does not work sometimes. I guess this is connected to my other issue: I can't close or kill some tasks via the Taskmanager. Steam is a good example for this issue.

And my last one: sometimes Windows 10 does not refresh my desktop if I delete or save files on the desktop.

I recently had another issue, where Firefox does not open a new window with a shift+left mouse button on the taskbar icon. It took about 60 or 90 seconds.

Drivers and Windows are up-to-date.

Thank you in advance guys.
    Thomas

:)

Thomas2016, Oct 21, 2016
  2. oldeboye Win User

Restart and shutdown do not function from START button

Windows 10 Version 1703 (OS Build 15063.483)

When I try to restart of shutdown system from START button on task bar, it does nothing. If I have applications open on the desktop the start menu just closes closes and returns to whatever was open on the desktop. I have closed all application and have
    just the desktop and attempt to restart and shutdown and nothing. Returns to my desktop. Shutdown /s /t 000 works. I have modified the power profile so that the chassis power button performs a shutdown and that works. I have three profiles on the computer,
    two are administrator and one is standard. All do the same thing.

I have 3 machines at the same version and only one of them has this problem.

Any suggestions?

Thanks!

oldeboye, Oct 21, 2016
  3. Windows 10 not restarting or shut down properly when using start button

When I try to restart of shutdown system from START button on task bar, it does nothing. If I have applications open on the desktop the start menu just closes closes and returns to whatever was open on the desktop. I have closed all application and have
    just the desktop and attempt to restart and shutdown and nothing. Returns to my desktop. when shut down or restart using Alt+F4 it happen properly and also there is difference between screen saver when using start button or when using shortcut. also my
    updates get stuck and installation has failed, it keep on reminding me to restart but restart does not help at all.

Any suggestions?

Thanks!

hamidbilal, Oct 21, 2016
  4. XweAponX Win User

Shutdown button does not work / Tasks can't be closed / Desktop issues

Is this an older Laptop or Desktop? Sounds like Driver problems, or, check your HDD. Try that first. Run CHKDSK c:\ /f on the drive, then defrag it in Windows. After that, install CCleaner from piriform.com and check if you have a bunch of junk files, last PC I worked on, had almost 10 Gig of temp files and crud, and it WAS acting somewhat like you describe.

XweAponX, Oct 22, 2016
  5. No this is a brand new desktop as you can see in my specs (I paste it below). However I tried chkdsk without any results. Everything is fine.

Thomas2016, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

Shutdown button does not work / Tasks can't be closed / Desktop issues

1. Shutdown button does not work / Tasks can't be closed / Desktop issues - Similar Threads - Shutdown button does

2. The new end task button on the taskbar does not work

in Windows 10 Gaming
    The new end task button on the taskbar does not work: When I use the end task button, it does nothing, even for programs with 1 service running. I have to use the task manager anyway. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/the-new-end-task-button-on-the-taskbar-does-not/54cfe6e7-bc0d-4be7-9a02-8ec01f066e6a
  3. The new end task button on the taskbar does not work

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    The new end task button on the taskbar does not work: When I use the end task button, it does nothing, even for programs with 1 service running. I have to use the task manager anyway. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/the-new-end-task-button-on-the-taskbar-does-not/54cfe6e7-bc0d-4be7-9a02-8ec01f066e6a
  4. My Closed Curly Bracket button does not work

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    My Closed Curly Bracket button does not work: Good day everyone, Recently, I noticed that my closing curly bracket has suddenly stopped working for no apparent reason. I have searched for solutions but to no avail. Note here that my shift button works just fine, my closing normal bracket works fine, however combine the...
  5. My Closed Curly Bracket button does not work

in Windows 10 Gaming
    My Closed Curly Bracket button does not work: Good day everyone, Recently, I noticed that my closing curly bracket has suddenly stopped working for no apparent reason. I have searched for solutions but to no avail. Note here that my shift button works just fine, my closing normal bracket works fine, however combine the...
  6. Not working Powerpoint close button

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Not working Powerpoint close button: When I was done with a presentation, I saved it, then I tried to close it, it DID NOT WORK. It works in other apps, but this one didn't. So then restarted it. Some times it saves or loses information. I expected it to work. Thank you, Sincerely User....
  7. Force a Specific App/Task to Close at Shutdown

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Force a Specific App/Task to Close at Shutdown: Hi, I've been having trouble with a specific app that refuses to close itself when I shutdown/reboot/logoff. Forcing the app to close won't hurt it or my data, it just refuses to close at shutdown because it's poorly coded. It's a big-name non-MS app so I won't name it....
  8. The Shutdown button in Start not working

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    The Shutdown button in Start not working: Hi, I am a Windows 10 user. I have a trouble shutting down my computer. When I choose Shutdown, then the tittle "Shutting down" appear on the screen, and the screen becomes dark. But it not complete shutdown . The light on the keyboard, touchpad, ... still on. After 15~20s,...
  9. Close buttons (X) in Task View disappeared

in Windows 10 Customization
    Close buttons (X) in Task View disappeared: Hello, I’ve been using my new Surface Pro 6 for a couple of days now. Yesterday, I noticed that in Task View, the programs/apps running no longer have the option to close it with the X button on the right top of each. I have reset the machine twice already, but the Xs...
  10. Why does Close not end the task?

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Why does Close not end the task?: I've been using Microsoft products since DOS 2.10, so I understand the technical reasons, but I don't understand the design choice. If I have a program that is misbehaving/hanging etc and I right click on the icon on the Taskbar and click "close". Why does it not believe...