Windows 10: Shutdown does not 'Poweroff' computer

Discus and support Shutdown does not 'Poweroff' computer in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Some system details:— home built system, ASUS P8Z77-V mobo with latest (2104) BIOS, 16GB RAM, Gigabyte NVidia GeForce GTX 650 Ti video card driving... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by lmod, Apr 1, 2015.

1. lmod Win User

Shutdown does not 'Poweroff' computer

Some system details:— home built system, ASUS P8Z77-V mobo with latest (2104) BIOS, 16GB RAM, Gigabyte NVidia GeForce GTX 650 Ti video card driving primary and secondary monitors, Gigabyte NVidia GeForce 210 video card driving monitor 3, 3 x 3TB HDD, 2 x 250GB SSD, 1 x 120GB SSD.

Currently triple booting W10 build 10049 and 2 (licensed) installations of W8.1 (one a work in progress to replace the main setup, which appears to have some (not vital) corruption). Using the native boot manager tweaked with EasyBCD to set default. W10 is on the 120GB SSD.

When I use any of the methods to shutdown my windows 10 installation the video turns off, but the computer does not power off. I have set up a shortcut < shutdown.exe -s -f -t 0 > but that gives the same response, no power off. Using restart, the computer does power off and then power on again as expected.

Another, perhaps related, issue is that if I invoke sleep, and then resume several of the drives do not appear, and are not accessible. They do not show in Disk Management or File Explorer. While I am not now sure when this lost drive issue surfaced I think it was about the time W10 build 9926 was issued. It is not specific to W10, the W8.1 installs are also affected. A restart, which gives a 'cold' boot, restores the drive availability.

The 'not powering off' issue, as I remember, began later. And it also affects the W8.1 installations. So I began to wonder if it was a mobo problem, but the fact that the system does fully power off when restart is invoked kinda indicates that it is not a mobo issue. I've searched for answers without success. "Poweroff" is not a command recognized by Windows 10. I tried Sysinternals psshutdown, but that will not run if the < -k > switch is included (this switch invokes "poweroff" if available.) It runs without that switch, but doesn't power off, so the same result as all the other shutdown methods.

I have to force a power off manually to restart the system, as the shutdown process, as it is at present, leaves the system unresponsive.

I'm prepared to edit the registry, if that would provide a solution.

Thanks in advance.

:)

lmod, Apr 1, 2015
  2. SaineshP Win User

Glance screen flickering

Shutdown the phone, while starting the device hold the - vol. key. you can reslease it after 5 sec.

I got ! (exclamatory sign ) on the screen then I again restarted the phone by doing - and Poweroff key. which fixed the issue.

SaineshP, Apr 1, 2015
  3. J-Cloud Win User
    Shutdown Does not Shutdown. My computer Restarts Instead.

After the March updates, when I go to Power -> Shutdown, my computer Restarts instead of Shutting Down.

The Power Troubleshooter finds no problem. I unable find a Shut Down Troubleshooter.

What to do?

J-Cloud, Apr 1, 2015
  4. Brink
    Brink New Member

Brink, Apr 1, 2015
  5. lmod Win User
    Thanks, Shawn.
    And thanks for the tutes you have posted. I refer to them often!
    I should have mentioned that I had already disabled Hibernation, and turned off Fast Startup . I manually set the value of the HiberbootEnabled DWORD to 0 as well as ensuring that it was disabled under Power Options. I was a little surprised to see that the HiberbootEnabled DWORD was still set to 1 after disabling Fast Startup under Power Options, but perhaps I hadn't rebooted before looking in the registry.
    I'm in W8.1 as I type this, and I see the HiberbootEnabled DWORD is set to 0 in the W8.1 registry, and I don't think I did it manually, or used your .bat file.

lmod, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Shutdown does not 'Poweroff' computer - Similar Threads - Shutdown does 'Poweroff'

2. computer poweroff 2 hours after turn on

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    computer poweroff 2 hours after turn on: Good day, I have windows 10 pro, but I have a problem that the computer shuts down power off every 2 hours, could it be due to heating, but there is no logic that it shuts down every 2 hours, there is nothing I haven't tried, I haven't been able to fix it, the type of...
  3. computer poweroff 2 hours after turn on

in Windows 10 Gaming
    computer poweroff 2 hours after turn on: Good day, I have windows 10 pro, but I have a problem that the computer shuts down power off every 2 hours, could it be due to heating, but there is no logic that it shuts down every 2 hours, there is nothing I haven't tried, I haven't been able to fix it, the type of...
  4. computer poweroff 2 hours after turn on

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Why does my Computer Flash and then Shutdown?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Why does my Computer Flash and then Shutdown?: This is happening commonly and it's getting quite annoying. My computer flashes into a bunch of colors everywhere, an then the screen goes back to normal. But everything stops responding, and I have to do a force shutdown. At first I thought it was an issue with my graphics...
  6. Why does my Computer Flash and then Shutdown?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Why does my Computer Flash and then Shutdown?: This is happening commonly and it's getting quite annoying. My computer flashes into a bunch of colors everywhere, an then the screen goes back to normal. But everything stops responding, and I have to do a force shutdown. At first I thought it was an issue with my graphics...
  7. Computer shutdown

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Computer shutdown: Hi my computer is Lenovo all in one my problem is computer shutdown every 30 munited https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/computer-shutdown/82189cdc-2816-4be2-8ccb-b5fe6949a49f
  8. Auto login unexpected poweroff

in Windows 10 Customization
    Auto login unexpected poweroff: Hi, I jeed to figure out a way (group policy script, whatever other solution) to have a win10p machine automatically sign in after an unexpected poweroff and lock after sign in and startup processes have executed. the use case is in case of an unexpected power outage, so...
  9. My computer does not shutdown completely

in Windows 10 Gaming
    My computer does not shutdown completely: I have had this problem ever since I built my computer, when I shut down my pc, either from the windows menu or the power button on the case, windows will shut down but all the hardware on the computer will stay running as if i only turned off the monitors....
  10. Computer shutdown

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Computer shutdown: my pc using windows 10 will start fine, but then will unexpectedly close after 5-10 minutes. Then when restarted it runs fine. What is the problem? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-performance/computer-shutdown/c8d24f1f-8d5b-4a22-972a-26b3a7c05a4c