Windows 10: Shutdown from start menu now restarting

Discus and support Shutdown from start menu now restarting in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; System is Windows 10 Pro x64, version 1607 build 14393.321. Ever since the latest cumulative update to this build, I find that about half the time that... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by NickJP, Oct 14, 2016.

1. NickJP Win User

Shutdown from start menu now restarting

System is Windows 10 Pro x64, version 1607 build 14393.321. Ever since the latest cumulative update to this build, I find that about half the time that I select Shutdown from the start menu, I actually get a reboot instead. If I use the command line shutdown.exe -s instead, so far that has not had the same problem.

Any suggestions on why the problem with shutdown off the start menu?

:)

NickJP, Oct 14, 2016

2. Taskhost is stopping ... device install reboot required

Sorry to hear that Shutdown from start menu now restarting :( My workaround till now has been to shut down (not restart) my computer, killing the taskhost process upon shutdown, then power up again. Then I had access back to the start menu, until next restart (shutdown was fine), and settings,
    and applied the solution I posted from there.

Jean-YvesR, Oct 14, 2016
  3. Bob Grosh Win User
    My "hello camera" won't turn on so the signing on by face recognition doesn't work. It just sits on "turning on camera" forever.

Swarnim...

Check the camera app and swap between the front and back cameras. If that works then it is not a hardware problem.

Months ago this problem happened after an earlier update. The solution then was to do a restart from the start, power menu instead of a shutdown. I just did three restarts, each one worked., Now a full shutdown and cold start is working again.

... Bob

Bob Grosh, Oct 14, 2016
  4. Shutdown from start menu now restarting

NickJP,

Welcome to the forum!

Let's give the following a whirl...

We are going to boot the PC into Safe Mode. Be aware that hen you boot into Safe Mode, you are only able to sign in with your password!

Please press the Windows key and the R key at the same time.
    This opens the Run box
    In the Open area, type: msconfig
    Press: OK

In System Configuration console, select the Boot tab
    Check the box for: Safe boot
    Make sure Minimal is also ticked.
    Press the OK button

When asked if you want to Restart now or wait until later, Restart now
    The restart takes you into Safe Mode.

In Safe Mode, open up msconfig the same way as before.
    On the Boot tab uncheck: Safe boot
    Press the OK button

When asked if you want to Restart now or >>Exit without Restart<< Select this one

Now, go to the Start button, select Power > Shutdown

Does it Shutdown?

If so, you may have a program that is causing the issue, or an update hiccup.

Post back what happens, and we will take it from there.

cottonball, Oct 15, 2016
  5. caperjack Win User
    a glitch that might get fixed for you in the next update .
    myself I use a shortcut on desktop to shutdown ,works every time ,

right click on the desktop, choose new/ shortcut / in the box type , slidetoshutdown.exe, hit enter .
    type a name like Shutdown . click ok ,,, then right click on the icon and choose change icon, say ok to the message about not being able to change the icon,,
    and select a icon for the shortcut ,, I choose the red square,, now when you cant to shutdown you computer ,double click the icon, then click the top half screen .

caperjack, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

Shutdown from start menu now restarting

1. Shutdown from start menu now restarting - Similar Threads - Shutdown start menu

2. Shutdown from the start menu perform a reset on the laptop

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Shutdown from the start menu perform a reset on the laptop: Hi I don't know how this problem appear, because I didn't install anything, I didn't update the windows 10 but it has the last updates, I didn't plug any external storage, also I have Kaspersky. When I shutdown from the start menu and from other ways like alt+f4, the laptop...
  3. Shutdown and restart are missing from the start menu and Ctrl+Alt+Del menu.

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Shutdown and restart are missing from the start menu and Ctrl+Alt+Del menu.: I don't know what's happened but the shutdown and restart options are non existent. The only way I could shutdown was through PowerShell.I am using Windows 10 Home so I cannot do 'gpedit.msc' in Run. I tried Registry Edit and going into the policies, explorer tab but I do not...
  4. Shutdown and restart are missing from the start menu and Ctrl+Alt+Del menu.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Shutdown and restart are missing from the start menu and Ctrl+Alt+Del menu.: I don't know what's happened but the shutdown and restart options are non existent. The only way I could shutdown was through PowerShell.I am using Windows 10 Home so I cannot do 'gpedit.msc' in Run. I tried Registry Edit and going into the policies, explorer tab but I do not...
  5. Shutdown and restart are missing from the start menu and Ctrl+Alt+Del menu.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  6. Computer not responding to Restart or Shutdown via Start Menu

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Computer not responding to Restart or Shutdown via Start Menu: Can someone help me out and can we figure out why Windows would not respond to a shut down or restart? I had toi push the power button. Can someone help me figure it out please I am currently running this. Please respond with any info so I can learn about my PC. Thanks...
  7. shutdown,sleep,restart is missing in start power menu

shutdown,sleep,restart is missing in start power menu: whenever i click on power button on start menu it shows there are no power option currently available https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/shutdownsleeprestart-is-missing-in-start-power/8136bb96-7481-4404-a2c7-649ff62a20dd
  8. Shutdown from the start menu is slower

Shutdown from the start menu is slower: Recently there was an update which now forces the power button in the start menu to create an animation before allowing you to choose between "Sleep", "Shutdown", "Restart". This slows down the shutdown process by a second - not much but very annoying. Before it was:...
  9. KB4503294 unable to shutdown from start menu

KB4503294 unable to shutdown from start menu: KB4503294 install for Windows 10 version 14393.3053 has lost the options for Sleep, Shutdown, Restart, when clicking start and the power icon. Can still shutdown by right clicking on start or by using ctrl-alt-del....
  10. Windows Will Not Sleep or Shutdown from Start Menu

Windows Will Not Sleep or Shutdown from Start Menu: Hello! I can't get my PC to go to Sleep, or Shutdown using any of the typically proper methods. When I try to shutdown the PC it starts to shutdown, screen goes black and then wakes back up to the login screen. I have gone through and disabled all of the devices that might...