Windows 10: Shutdown / logoff script just wont run Windows 10 Home

Discus and support Shutdown / logoff script just wont run Windows 10 Home in Windows 10 Ask Insider to solve the problem; I am trying to run a simple powershell script to turn off my office hue lights when I logoff/ shutdown my windows 10 home PC. I know Home isnt fully... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Ask Insider' started by /u/geeky-hawkes, Apr 30, 2020.

1. Shutdown / logoff script just wont run Windows 10 Home

I am trying to run a simple powershell script to turn off my office hue lights when I logoff/ shutdown my windows 10 home PC. I know Home isnt fully supported as shipped to complete this but searching around tinterweb there seems to be "ways" to get this to work. I am having no luck!

The Powershell script works when I run it through PS or when I run a simple batch/cmd file to call the PS script (so the problem isnt there).

I have Gpedit.msc on my machine and in the computer configuration have tried setting windows/scripts/shutdown to point to both my "huecall.cmd" batch file as well as the PS script - neither has any effect.

The call.cmd is placed within C:\windows\system32\GroupPolicy\Machine\Scripts\Shutdown

The PS script is also placed there.

Similar setup for User configuration but have tried copying the files into C:\windows\system32\GroupPolicy\User\scripts\Logoff

This didnt work so I thought I would try the option of editing the reg and maybe moving the cmd file to more accessible folder just in case:

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00 [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Group Policy\Scripts\Shutdown] [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Group Policy\Scripts\Shutdown\0] "GPO-ID"="LocalGPO" "SOM-ID"="Local" "FileSysPath"="C:\\Windows\\System32\\GroupPolicy\\Machine" "DisplayName"="Local Group Policy" "GPOName"="Local Group Policy" "PSScriptOrder"=dword:00000001 [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Group Policy\Scripts\Shutdown\0\0] "Script"="D:\Development\MegaSync\hueCall.cmd" "Parameters"="" "IsPowershell"=dword:00000000 "ExecTime"=hex(b):00,00,00,00,00,00,00,00,00,00,00,00,00,00,00,00 [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Group Policy\State\Machine\Scripts\Shutdown] [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Group Policy\State\Machine\Scripts\Shutdown\0] "GPO-ID"="LocalGPO" "SOM-ID"="Local" "FileSysPath"="C:\\Windows\\System32\\GroupPolicy\\Machine" "DisplayName"="Local Group Policy" "GPOName"="Local Group Policy" "PSScriptOrder"=dword:00000001 [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Group Policy\State\Machine\Scripts\Shutdown\0\0] "Script"="D:\Development\MegaSync\hueCall.cmd" "Parameters"="" "ExecTime"=hex(b):00,00,00,00,00,00,00,00,00,00,00,00,00,00,00,00

Still no luck. Any thoughts welcome as I wouldnt have thought getting windows to trigger the .cmd or PS on shutdown would be so tricky!

submitted by /u/geeky-hawkes
    [link] [comments]

:)

/u/geeky-hawkes, Apr 30, 2020
  2. sachind1 Win User

script running on Startup and Shutdown of System is not working

Steps

• Open a run box
    • type in "gpedit.msc"
    • Expand Computer Configuration
    • Expand Windows Settings
    • Select Scripts (Startup/Shutdown)
    • Double click Startup
    • Click Show Files and copy/paste your file in to this folder
    • Click the Add button on the startup properties
    • Click Browse and double click on your script to choose it.
    • "OK" out of all windows to apply the new settings.
    I am generally Giving Path of My python to the startup and shutdown as steps given above

sachind1, Apr 30, 2020
  3. Windows 10 Logoff Script, run BEFORE Log out.

SOLVED! I had a similar problem. I had a need to launch a browser for a Time Clock application, but on Windows 10 it would be hidden behind the 'signing out' screen.

I discovered the following GPO setting:

User Config->Policies->Admin Templates->System->Scripts

'Display instructions in logoff scripts as they run'

This causes a cmd prompt window to open and show the individual logoff script commands, but has the side-effect of showing the console screen while its doing it. This allowed my web browser window to be displayed.

AlexLopez_954, Apr 30, 2020
  4. sachind1 Win User

Shutdown / logoff script just wont run Windows 10 Home

script running on Startup and Shutdown of System is not working

I want to run a python script on startup and shutdown of System . I am Using Windows 7 . I follows the steps given by Microsoft to run a script on startup and shutdown but that's not working in my case . Can we run a python script on startup or Only .bat
    file can be run ?

sachind1, Apr 30, 2020
Thema:

Shutdown / logoff script just wont run Windows 10 Home

1. Shutdown / logoff script just wont run Windows 10 Home - Similar Threads - Shutdown logoff script

2. Windows XP Shutdown and Logoff Menus for modern Windows

in Windows 10 Customization
    Windows XP Shutdown and Logoff Menus for modern Windows: Hi, I'm and I rebuilt the Windows XP Luna shutdown and logoff dialog menus, because XP is 20 years old this year plus I've had a bit of interest in this while I was building it so I'd like to share it with you. I coded it completely ground-up in AHK (Autohotkey) and it's...
  3. Google drive sync at Logoff/Shutdown

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Google drive sync at Logoff/Shutdown: Hello Community, I have a script which will create a file and deletes an other file in a Google Drive folder.It's working totally fine When I put that script under run> gpedit.msc> logoff script and then logoff from thge computer it doesn't work. Personally I think it...
  4. Gpedit shutdown scripts on win 10 home?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Gpedit shutdown scripts on win 10 home?: ok i'm stuck on this problem: i want to run a sample file.bat when my pc shuts down. I have added gpedit.msc on my machine via some batch file and added my .bat script in there. For some reason it won't execute the script when i shutdown my pc. I think is because i have win10...
  5. Run Windows PowerShell scripts first at user logon, logoff, startup, and shutdown

in Windows 10 News
    Run Windows PowerShell scripts first at user logon, logoff, startup, and shutdown: [ATTACH]If you want to run Windows PowerShell scripts first at user logon, logoff, startup, […] This article Run Windows PowerShell scripts first at user logon, logoff, startup, and shutdown first appeared on TheWindowsClub.com. read more...
  6. Shortcut to combine logoff and shutdown?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Shortcut to combine logoff and shutdown?: Windows 10 Home 64 bit running 20xx build. 2 users in the same laptop. If one user shutsdown the laptop without logging off, the next time another users goes to shutdown, it says that the other user is still logged in. So I am looking for a solution that gracefully logs out...
  7. Login/Logoff wont play?

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Login/Logoff wont play?: So i activated the Logon/ Logoff sounds on my Dell, however, when i start it up, it does make the Startup Sound, but not the logon sound, is there anyway i can have it make the sound? Do i have to disable the startup sound? Or isnt Win 10 not meant to use the Logon Logoff...
  8. Windows 10 Home Shutdown Script

in Windows 10 Customization
    Windows 10 Home Shutdown Script: Is it possible to run a script on shutdown on Windows 10 Home edition? Group Policy Editor (gpedit.msc) is not available. Already tried to modify registry Execute a script a startup and shutdown Tested successfully on Windows 10 Professional but won't work on Home....
  9. Screwed shutdown script

in Windows 10 Support
    Screwed shutdown script: Oh Boy, well you learn from your mistakes they say*Redface I tried to run a script at shutdown on my W10 PC that would run a RoboCopy command. That did not work so I deleted it (So I thought) I may have deleted the proper shutdown script as my PC will no longer shutdown...
  10. Shutdown script (gpedit) runs with 'Restart' but not with 'Shut down'

in Windows 10 Support
    Shutdown script (gpedit) runs with 'Restart' but not with 'Shut down': Dear all, I have an issue with a shutdown script that I don't manage to resolve: I wrote a .bat file script that works fine when it is clicked on. Through gpedit.msc, I added it as a shutdown script. When the computer is restarted (Power -> Restart), it works fine as well...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. Windows 10 Home Logon Logoff scripts

2. powershell logoff script not running