Windows 10: Shutdown/Sleep Issue.

Discus and support Shutdown/Sleep Issue. in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Hi all, wondering if anyone can offer any thoughts or advice. i'm running W10 from a W7 upgrade, and it's been pretty good so far. last night though i... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by wolfie138, Aug 29, 2016.

1. wolfie138 Win User

Shutdown/Sleep Issue.

Hi all, wondering if anyone can offer any thoughts or advice.
    i'm running W10 from a W7 upgrade, and it's been pretty good so far. last night though i had an issue that occurred once before a month or so back.
    basically, i went to shut down, and instead of the usual blue screen and "waiting for apps to close" type thing, the machine seemed to go into sleep; i could hear the fans running. i fired up, and on boot i had the issue i had the other month - i get the BIOS splash, the swirly dots, and then instead of the time/seaside cave i got a black screen w/ just a mouse pointer. i ended up having to hard reboot from the power button.

there's not much in the events, a bunch of 414s relating to media centre, but there are a couple that seem odd to a noob like me. this happened before i powered off and noticed the hang:
    "The description for Event ID 56 from source Application Popup cannot be found. Either the component that raises this event is not installed on your local computer or the installation is corrupted. You can install or repair the component on the local computer.
    If the event originated on another computer, the display information had to be saved with the event.
    The following information was included with the event:
    ACPI
    the message resource is present but the message is not found in the string/message table"
    there's a few 7031 Events that Windows site says is apparently being investigated
    and after the hard reboot i've got an Evetn 17 saying
    "A corrected hardware error has occurred.
    Component: PCI Express Root Port
    Error Source: Advanced Error Reporting (PCI Express)
    Bus*Biggrinevice:Function: 0x0:0x1C:0x0
    Vendor ID*Biggrinevice ID: 0x8086:0xA110
    Class Code: 0x30400
    The details view of this entry contains further information."
    i've looked in device manager, no "!" markings etc.
    aside from than, all seems ok, no dumps, BSODs etc.

TIA

EDIT:

just happened again, actually got the blue "waiting for 2 programs to close" etc, seemed to do that, powered down but the fans were running again. hard quit using the butting and powered up - came on fine, no "did not shut down cleanly" etc, more 414 Events and one 7026
    "The following boot-start or system-start driver(s) did not load:
    dam"

cheers

:)

wolfie138, Aug 29, 2016

2. shut down goes into restart mode instead of shutting down

shut down goes into restart mode instead of shutting down

shutdown issue, Aug 29, 2016
  3. Issues with shutdown and sleep

Hi,

I suggest you to run the power troubleshooter and check if the issue persists.

• Type “Troubleshooting” in search box and press Enter.

• Click on “View all” on the top left pane.

• Select Power from the list and follow the prompts for troubleshooting.
    Hope the information is helpful. Feel free to
    write to us for any other assistance with Windows, we’ll be glad to assist you.

Regards,

Guru Kiran

Guru Kiran G, Aug 29, 2016
  4. wolfie138 Win User

Shutdown/Sleep Issue.

was hoping i mighta had a reply :-(
    further stuff anyway.
    lst few days it's been ok, it seems, i've powered downa nd listend to the case fans etc shut off. today however, i fire up, get the BIOS logo etc, swirly dots, black screen and mouse pointer, and that's it. one site said try Win+P and down arrow twice to input a password, it did nothing, i got a slab of blue on one side of the screen and that's it. quit using the power button, came back ok [i noticed this time i got the Win tune playing, hadn't noticed its absence before] and in my events from the previous day i've got a shed-load of 10010 events, and then a 42 saying ""The system is entering sleep. Sleep Reason: Application API" ~ i didn't ask it to sleep, what's going on? although it seemed to shut off properly that time, that event and one today saying "The system uptime is 947990 seconds." suggests otherwise.
    and what is gonig on w/ that last one, it suggests the machine has been up for over two years?!

any thoughts, please?

wolfie138, Sep 9, 2016
  5. iDamn Win User
    hey, i've experienced the same black screen with only cursor visible and nothing else works. are you experiencing this problem after the latest windows 10 anniversary update?

and also, have you tried configuring the fast boot settings in "power settings"?

iDamn, Sep 9, 2016
  6. bookfox Win User
    I'm no expert, but with the black screen+cursor, and the error mentioning PCIE, have you happened to update your video card driver?

bookfox, Sep 9, 2016
  7. wolfie138 Win User
    not sure when it started, w/ the noise of the fans powering down i never suspected the thing wasn't shutting off properly until i got these hiccups. no idea why that event says the machine's been up 2 years, i obviously haven't had W10 that long and the previous Win 7 never had these issues - and even if that were the case, the machine's one i built myself and it's not 2 years old! EDIT - lol, my maths sucks, i forgot to divide for hours as well as minutes!

haven't touched the vid drivers.
    tried troubleshooting the power options, it said it had fixed some issues about a couple parameters being too long [sorry, can't recall].
    had a look at power options and saw the power off button was set to "sleep" - changed it, but it hasn't made a diff.
    have found something on other sites that seem to say the Fast Power Up option is the culprit, i'll try that next.

wolfie138, Sep 11, 2016
  8. wolfie138 Win User

Shutdown/Sleep Issue.

just as an update for anyoen interested, i did the suggested change, getting rid of the fast start option, adn it seems to have improved things. the shut down is maybe a bit longer, the start up times don't seem massively different and i've got my Windows login music back. events show correct system uptime again, so it definitely seems to be shutting down correctly rather than going into some type of Sleep mode.

wolfie138, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

Shutdown/Sleep Issue.

1. Shutdown/Sleep Issue. - Similar Threads - Shutdown Sleep Issue

2. Sleep vs shutdown

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Sleep vs shutdown: I just bought a new hard drive that is running Windows 11 Professional. Is it better to shut down the computer at the end of the day use it occasionally throughout the day, or is it better to have it go into sleep mode?Thanks,Carol...
  3. Windows 11 abrupt shutdown issue when in sleep

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 11 abrupt shutdown issue when in sleep: I got a new Dell m15 with windows 11 4 months ago, ever since I got this, I have had the issue of unexpected system shut downsonce a day atleast.I have searched a lot. Haven't been able to solve it.There are couple of solutions related to Hibernation option in advanced Power...
  4. Windows 11 abrupt shutdown issue when in sleep

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows 11 abrupt shutdown issue when in sleep: I got a new Dell m15 with windows 11 4 months ago, ever since I got this, I have had the issue of unexpected system shut downsonce a day atleast.I have searched a lot. Haven't been able to solve it.There are couple of solutions related to Hibernation option in advanced Power...
  5. Windows 10 home shutdown and sleep issue

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Windows 10 home shutdown and sleep issue: I have been having problems with windows shut down for a year. every time i have to shut it down manually using my power switch. i have tried several methods which have been mentioned online, nothing has worked so far. my pc is an Acer predator helios 300 2018. Pls, help me...
  6. Shutdown and Sleep Problem

Shutdown and Sleep Problem: I have Windows 10 in my HP Pavilion 15 Laptop. I am not able to shutdown my laptop even not able to put my laptop on sleep mode. Whenever, I shutdown my laptop its screen became blank and hard disk stop running while power button & Power led still show light. In that...
  7. Sleep and Shutdown

Sleep and Shutdown: This problem is really ridiculous. There are 3 pc's in the house and the main oneMINE has the problem.I have tried everything in all the previous folks that have the same problem to no sleep or shutdown. I have been just turning off monitors so they aren't damaged,if that...
  8. Driver sleep and shutdown issue.

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Driver sleep and shutdown issue.: Hello, Ive been having an issue with my pc. For the past 4 years i have been able to put the pc into sleep mode. recently my PC shuts down completely when put into sleep mode. Not only that but when it shuts down it take 10 minutes for my pc to shutdown completely instead...
  9. W10 shutdown/sleep/re-boot issues

in Windows 10 Support
    W10 shutdown/sleep/re-boot issues: Howdy all, I recently loaded W10 onto my computer. I completed a clean install. My computer is a HP-580t, I7, running a ssd hard drive. Motherboard is from Pegatron Corporation - IPMTB-TK. Legacy bios. Issues: When I shut down the computer, no matter what method it just...
  10. sleep/shutdown/cold boot issues

in Windows 10 Support
    sleep/shutdown/cold boot issues: HP 8540w laptop, W10 up to date (14393-693), power config high performance, shutdown on lid close, sleep on power button, no devices wake computer except mouse and keyboard. Started with two issues: 1; Computer restarts immediately after a shutdown or sleep command. The...