Windows 10: Shutdown slow and strange

Discus and support Shutdown slow and strange in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Just upgraded (via Windows Update) from Win 7 Pro to Windows 10. Upgrade generally went smoothly, but.... My PC now shuts down very slowly and oddly.... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by MGatehouse, Aug 8, 2015.

1. Shutdown slow and strange

Just upgraded (via Windows Update) from Win 7 Pro to Windows 10.
    Upgrade generally went smoothly, but....
    My PC now shuts down very slowly and oddly. The screen and keyboard turn off normally, in a few seconds, but the system box (fans, etc.) remain on for about 2-3 minutes longer. I have no idea what the system is doing while this is going on!
    However, the following boot-up is normal.

:)

MGatehouse, Aug 8, 2015
  2. JaKAttack Win User

Windows 10 takes too long to shutdown/restart/hibernate

For some strange reason, my Windows 10 machine takes abnormally long to either shutdown my computer, restart the computer or hibernate. I've checked similar posts about this issue and most of them suspect that a third party service may have slowed down
    the process. I disabled most of my services and hey, it worked... once, and after that one time the problem persists again. From last week to now, I can't get a short shutdown/restart/hibernate procedure without waiting 5+ minutes.

JaKAttack, Aug 8, 2015
  3. Windows startup is very slow after updated windows

My PC is windows 10 Home Language. After updated windows my PC is too slow working when Startup and shutdown. I have cleaned all Temp files and "Windows.old" folder. Now my PC is very slow to startup and shutdown.

Nishikanta Wangkhem, Aug 8, 2015
  4. Rudy Mas Win User

Shutdown slow and strange

I saw something similar on my system, and I got it fixed by disabling and then again enabling hibernation.

Just open an admin command prompt and type:

powercfg -h off
    powercfg -h on

With me, the problem was probably a corrupted hibernation file, I hope this helps for you too.

Rudy Mas, Aug 8, 2015
  5. Ihave the same slow shut down problem, so I tried this but with both commands I got the same 'unable to perform this operation. An unexpected error (0x65b) has occurred. Function failed during execution'.

Any suggestions?

meltonpieman, Jan 2, 2016
  6. Rudy Mas Win User
    Are you sure you used it in a Command Prompt (Admin)?

If you use these commands at a normal prompt, you get that error message!

Rudy Mas, Jan 2, 2016
  7. Oops - will do it as an administrator now!

8. Shutdown slow and strange

I have now run those commands. But no improvement in my shut down speed. Obviously my problem is something else.

9. Rudy Mas Win User
    Depends on how long your shutdown takes. If it is about 20 to 30 seconds, that's at the moment normal with Windows 10. I'm not sure what they are doing at shutdown, but it takes much longer than with Windows 8.1.

powercfg solved it for me, because my shutdown time went down from over a minute to about 25 seconds.

At the moment, I don't even use shutdown anymore. With my desktop PC, I only use the sleep function, and with my laptop, I use hibernation instead of shutdown. Putting it in hibernation is much faster than using shutdown.

One advantage of shutdown is, that you can start it and just walk away. *Smile

Rudy Mas, Jan 2, 2016
  10. MaxDoubt Win User
    The problem is AVG and AVG ZEN that comes with it. Uninstall both an you will see.
    I had exact same problem and just solved it today.

Your welcome lol

MaxDoubt, Jan 13, 2016
  11. Rudy Mas Win User
    Thanks for the information. Will check it on one of my systems tomorrow.

Rudy Mas, Jan 14, 2016
  12. MaxDoubt Win User
    Is this the same issue your getting? This is a recording that i made before i solved it.

MaxDoubt, Jan 14, 2016
  13. Rudy Mas Win User

Well, I hadn't shut down my PC in a very long time. And when I just did it, it only took about 5 seconds. *Smile (With AVG still active.)

However, I have to say, on this system, I have disabled Hibernation completely with 'powercfg -h off', this could also be why it shuts down so fast now.

Before, I had the same thing happening to my system as you showed in your video. Maybe it is a combination of Hibernation and AVG. I'll let you know tomorrow, when I have tested it on my laptop.

Rudy Mas, Jan 14, 2016
  14. MaxDoubt Win User
    Yeah turning the Hibernation off will temporary solve the issue. So yeah, think they do clash or something. Please do get back after you have tested it.

If you want, i can send you a link to an AVG where there is no zen with it.

Thanks

MaxDoubt, Jan 14, 2016
  15. Rudy Mas Win User
    You nailed it!

Just tested it on my Laptop and got these results:

Shut down with AVG + Hibernation activated -> 40 seconds
    Shut down with AVG + Hibernation disabled -> 8 seconds
    Shut down with AVG removed + Hibernation activated -> 8 seconds
    Shut down with AVG removed + Hibernation disabled -> 5 seconds

So, it's very obvious that there is a conflict between AVG and the Hibernation option of Windows.

I think I will send these results also to AVG, maybe they can look into the problem and fix it.

Rudy Mas, Jan 15, 2016
Thema:

1. Shutdown slow and strange - Similar Threads - Shutdown slow strange

2. Slow Shutdown

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Slow Shutdown: Hello everyone my laptop was fine but today when i shut it down there were two or three apps which were preventing to shutdown. Two closed so quickly that i couldnt even see the name while one was realtek audio service which also closed quickly. Any fix for this because this...
  3. slow shutdown

slow shutdown: just happened today it took me 10 mins to shutdown idk what I did Im just playing games when i had enough i closed my pc it took me 10 mins to shutdown https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/slow-shutdown/0c4677be-7179-41d0-9584-4457d8c88f95
  4. Slow startup and slow shutdown

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Slow startup and slow shutdown: Hi everyone, I have a problem with my laptop with Windows 10. The startup is very slow (about 5 minutes) and the shutdown is the same. I checked the health of the disk with cristaldiskinfo and it's ok. I also did a malware scan and everything is fine. I disabled all junk...
  5. Slow shutdown

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Slow shutdown: I've recently upgraded to the 2004 build and since doing so everthing is fine except when i shutdown, before i didnt even have time to reach out to turn the monitor off , now it seems to take quite a while, I've done a Google search for the problem, and tried what was...
  6. Slow Shutdown Process

Slow Shutdown Process: hello i recently upgraded to a new motherboard and CPU alongside with new memory. motherboard im currently using right now is Asrock B450m Pro4. ps. its a new clean install of windows october update 1809. the problem here is, when i click Shutdown button in windows, like...
  7. Very slow shutdown

Very slow shutdown: I recently built a new system. only installed the latest version of windows that is out. Booted up into windows in 25 to 30 seconds but shutdown takes around 5 mins. 1.30 to get to blue shutdown screen. 1 min there. screen goes off then 2.30 for the fans to go off then power...
  8. slow shutdown -- GDI+

slow shutdown -- GDI+: during shutdown, I get message that GDI+ is open, and is delaying the shutdown process what I tried: I ran troubleshooter/power, it just reset the power options to default, but did not solve the problem I ran sfc/scannow, it did not find any integrity violations. 62631
  9. Strange Behavior of Shutdown

in Windows 10 Support
    Strange Behavior of Shutdown: Just recently I've been experiencing strange behavior whenever I shutdown. These events happen seemingly randomly: 1. It says Shutting Down, the progress circle is moving, but it never shuts down and the Shutting Down screen stays that way for hours. I have to hold the...
  10. Strange message at restart and shutdown...

in Windows 10 Support
    Strange message at restart and shutdown...: I have a Windows 10 Pro 64-bit system, updated from Windows 8.1 about two weeks ego, wired connection assigned to a workgroup. The system works just fine with one exception. At the time of restart/shutdown, the system may display the following message: "If you shut down...