Windows 10: Shutdown/start vs restart...

Discus and support Shutdown/start vs restart... in Windows 10 Gaming to solve the problem; what is the disparity in time duration for a shutdown/wait 20 sec./restarting @ 45 seconds, and restarting via WinKey+X/U/R @ 2 mins & 20+ secs In both... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Gaming' started by RobertApple1, Oct 9, 2021.

1. Shutdown/start vs restart...

what is the disparity in time duration for a shutdown/wait 20 sec./restarting @ 45 seconds, and restarting via WinKey+X/U/R @ 2 mins & 20+ secs In both cases no apps opened, of course. Clean slate and includes login.

:)

RobertApple1, Oct 9, 2021
  2. little cat, Oct 9, 2021
  3. oldeboye Win User
    Restart and shutdown do not function from START button

If I select restart or shutdown from the log in screen, they work. Both also work from safe mode with networking.

Nothing obvious in the event log.

Any suggestions for the next step?

oldeboye, Oct 9, 2021
  4. Sirron Win User

Shutdown/start vs restart...

Windows 10 started not powering off on shutdown or restarting

One of my laptops, the HP Elitebook 8460P with Windows 10 Creators Update, latest drivers and updates, started not power off on shutdown. It doesn't matter if I do a regular shutdown, Shift Shutdown, Restart, Safe Mode, "shutdown /s /t 0", it just goes through the steps and says shutting down services, then shutting down or restarting depending on which one I pick and does the bubbles in a circle and the mouse cursor still works and that's it. I have to hold down the power button to force it to turn off. Nothing shows up in the Event Viewer, I tried SFC & DISM /Restorehealth, chkdsk, and they all come up clean. I tried disabling Fast Boot and hibernation, and unplugging it and removing the battery and holding down the power button. There are no other devices connected to this laptop and it is the same hardware that it has had for over two years. I tried to rollback and then disabling the Intel Management Engine that I saw some people suggested, but there is no difference. There are no blue screens, no errors, nothing logged in Event Viewer, all hardware passes diagnostics, and everything else works just fine and it boots up quickly.

Any help on fixing this would be appreciated.

Sirron, Oct 9, 2021
Thema:

Shutdown/start vs restart...

1. Shutdown/start vs restart... - Similar Threads - Shutdown start restart

2. Sleep vs shutdown

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Sleep vs shutdown: I just bought a new hard drive that is running Windows 11 Professional. Is it better to shut down the computer at the end of the day use it occasionally throughout the day, or is it better to have it go into sleep mode?Thanks,Carol...
  3. Sleep vs shutdown

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Sleep vs shutdown: I just bought a new hard drive that is running Windows 11 Professional. Is it better to shut down the computer at the end of the day use it occasionally throughout the day, or is it better to have it go into sleep mode?Thanks,Carol...
  4. Shutdown/start vs restart...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Shutdown/start vs restart...: what is the disparity in time duration for a shutdown/wait 20 sec./restarting @ 45 seconds, and restarting via WinKey+X/U/R @ 2 mins & 20+ secs In both cases no apps opened, of course. Clean slate and includes login....
  5. Shutdown/start vs restart...

in Windows 10 Customization
    Shutdown/start vs restart...: what is the disparity in time duration for a shutdown/wait 20 sec./restarting @ 45 seconds, and restarting via WinKey+X/U/R @ 2 mins & 20+ secs In both cases no apps opened, of course. Clean slate and includes login....
  6. Windows Update restart vs. shutdown

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Windows Update restart vs. shutdown: Every week or so, Microsoft wants me to update my Surface book 3 with the latest windows update. Fine, i get that. What i do not understand is it can somehow only install on a restart. When i click start , power, it shows 'update and restart', but not update and shutdown...
  7. About system errors on Shutdown vs. Restart

in Windows 10 Support
    About system errors on Shutdown vs. Restart: On shutdown then power button machine boots with very, very few errors. On restart for example after installing a major Windows 10 updatethere are multiple errors in computer management including the continually bedeviling DCOM errors. Windows 10 completely upgraded to latest...
  8. No mouse when starting after Shutdown or Restart

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    No mouse when starting after Shutdown or Restart: When I shutdown my desktop computer and then start it I have no mouse. If I select Enter on my keyboard I can get to the login screen. Then I tab over to the Power icon and select it with the Enter key. I use the arrow keys to move up to Sleep and select Sleep with my Enter...
  9. Shutdown from start menu now restarting

in Windows 10 Support
    Shutdown from start menu now restarting: System is Windows 10 Pro x64, version 1607 build 14393.321. Ever since the latest cumulative update to this build, I find that about half the time that I select Shutdown from the start menu, I actually get a reboot instead. If I use the command line shutdown.exe -s instead,...
  10. Reboot after Windows Update vs Shutdown and restart

in Windows 10 Support
    Reboot after Windows Update vs Shutdown and restart: Has anyone else noticed that after an update from Windows Update you "Must" do a Reboot for the installation/update to process. In prior versions of Windows when I would take an update, I might just wait until I shut the PC down for the night, and it would finish up in the...