Windows 10: Shutdown/startup problem

Discus and support Shutdown/startup problem in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I have kind of a weird problem that went back to the Windows 8 days as well When I shutdown from my desktop, I have no problems when I start up... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by bkshiroma, Mar 18, 2016.

1. bkshiroma Win User

Shutdown/startup problem

I have kind of a weird problem that went back to the Windows 8 days as well

When I shutdown from my desktop, I have no problems when I start up again. (I'm the administrator if that makes a difference).

When my wife shuts down from her desktop and I try to start up again, no signal gets sent to the display. I don't know if Windows just doesn't load up or if does, it's just not sending a signal. It doesn't seem to be asleep, because the normal things I do to wake it up (press spacebar or power button) don't work.

Anyway, if I force the computer to shut down and start it up again, it works fine, and logs straightaway into my account (not hers). Again I don't know if it makes a difference, but I do have the computer automatically log me in on startup.

Any ideas on what the problem is and how to solve it?

:)

bkshiroma, Mar 18, 2016

2. Windows 10 Slow Shutdown

Mr/Ms Wungraileng Vashi,

On Method 1: Power troubleshooter. This method did not help. Time to shutdown is the same. And now, this method requires accessing my computer thru entering password for my Microsoft account. On Method 2: Disable Fast Startup. After doing this,
    the problem is transferred from Shutdown to Startup. It now takes time to access my computer. Yes, I'm getting quick shutdown but it takes time to startup. If I have to choose, I prefer the quick startup. Also, I created a shutdown shortcut and the problem
    is the same as with Method 2, quick shutdown but long time for startup. Now, how do I access my computer without having to enter password? Your efforts for trying to help me is very much appreciated. Rudy Catindig

RudyCatindig, Mar 18, 2016
  3. slance310 Win User
    Windows 10 fails to restart after shutdown

Hi,

The shutdown command you are using is different than the one that happens with the Shutdown button...

That is the Win 7 type shutdown command before Fast Startup was implemented...

From what I could find, this is the command now in use for Fast Startup...

shutdown /s /hybrid /t xxx , although for some reason I was thinking it used a Taskill command...

Depending on how you turned off Hibernation, fast Startup may or may not have been turned off as well... If you just unchecked the box, Fast Startup will probably still work if it isn't unchecked...

If you used the command Powercfg -h off to turn off Hibernation, it should have shutdown Fast Startup as well...

The underlying cause of your problem s a driver\process of some type that is not working well with the Fast Startup\Hybrid shutdown...

slance310, Mar 18, 2016
  4. Ztruker Win User

Shutdown/startup problem

Ztruker, Mar 18, 2016
  5. bkshiroma Win User
    Sorry, should be clearer. We both use the same computer. When she switches to her account and then shuts down, when I start the computer again, it won't automatically sign into my account or go to the sign-in screen. Instead, like I said, it does nothing, and because there's no signal going to the monitor, the monitor quickly shuts down.

If on the other hand I shut down from my account, when I restart, Windows signs in to my account automatically as it should.

bkshiroma, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

Shutdown/startup problem

1. Shutdown/startup problem - Similar Threads - Shutdown startup problem

2. startup and shutdown scripts

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    startup and shutdown scripts: my computer is being deployed to and i cant find help ANYWHERE. need to know if startup scripts can help me??? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/startup-and-shutdown-scripts/0a5a1b22-cdd8-4811-9452-08970cfa80e7
  3. Shutdown and startup

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Shutdown and startup: Hello . My windows 10 pc suddenly has been taking ages to shut off. I press shutdown and it takes 30 seconds for the shutdown screen to show. This randomly started 1 day. I reset the pc, keeping only my games and some documents and it,s still the same. It also takes longer to...
  4. WILD SHUTDOWN STARTUP

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    WILD SHUTDOWN STARTUP: I have a system with a lot of memory and a ton of storage space internal and external. I often will have EDGE, EXCEL and WORD open and running with several files open in each. No problem until I leave them all open for too long and memory bleed leaves me gasping for air...
  5. No Startup or Shutdown Sound

in Windows 10 Customization
    No Startup or Shutdown Sound: Yes, I have the box checked to play sounds on startup under the sound tab in Control Panel. Does anyone have any ideas for me? When I test other sounds on the sound tab they play fine. I have noticed that Dolby Home Theater v4 did not migrate with the upgrade from Win 7....
  6. Shutdown and startup performance

Shutdown and startup performance: Hey guys i have a very Annoying problem after several installing windows 10 - 7 - 8 my shutdown and startup times are awful i have samsung 850 Pro on my laptop before i forced to clean install windows i have a brilliant performance (about 6-7 sec cold startup and same...
  7. Fast startup causes shutdown problem

Fast startup causes shutdown problem: Turning off Fast startup under Choose what pushing power button solves a shudown problem. Besides cache, what is Windows anniversary sending to the disk before it actually SHUTSDOWN? 64976
  8. Windows 10 Startup problem after shutdown but restart is fine

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Windows 10 Startup problem after shutdown but restart is fine: Upgraded to Windows 10 from Windows 7 Professional. When I restart the pc the pc boots up fine. However after a complete shutdown I loose display on the screen immediately after Windows Logo display. Then on pressing the power button once the pc shuts down. Then when I boot...
  9. Shutdown problem

in Windows 10 Support
    Shutdown problem: Hi Suddenly over the last week my PC has gone from closing almost instantly to taking 10 to 15 minutes to shut down. Everything else is normal : boot is fast and all programs are running normally. I'm worried something is going wrong and this is the time to stop it. I tried...
  10. Shutdown/startup process logging

in Windows 10 Support
    Shutdown/startup process logging: Does anyone know of a comprehensive guide to what should be recorded as a result of a default shutdown/startup sequence, i.e. what normal events/event IDs should I see in Event Viewer with fast startup enabled as opposed to any different events/event IDs recorded if fast...