Windows 10: Shutdown takes 15 minutes, Internet Slow because of Updates

Discus and support Shutdown takes 15 minutes, Internet Slow because of Updates in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance to solve the problem; Hi, There's probably nothing I do about this, but I'd really prefer the updating like in XP were I was alerted I needed to update and I could... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance' started by leegold, Aug 27, 2017.

1. leegold Win User

Shutdown takes 15 minutes, Internet Slow because of Updates

Hi,

There's probably nothing I do about this, but I'd really prefer the updating like in XP were I was alerted I needed to update and I could control when I updated and got it over ASAP with in one swoop and system performance was not impacted. When Win10 does it's update thing my Internet sometime slows down to a crawl and when I have to go to a meeting for example and I shutdown I can get a blue message window saying something like "wait" Win10 has to do stuff - presumably applying the update and I'm running around the halls with an open laptop.

Anyway when I shutdown I mean shutdown, not apply changes for 20 minutes then shutdown. The way Win10 applies updates is ruining my user experience. Sure, do it for security critical changes - I get that, but not for the other stuff, but I guess there's no way?

Thanks

:)

leegold, Aug 27, 2017
  2. sickkapo Win User
    sickkapo, Aug 27, 2017
  3. keirf Win User
    CS-15 and Nokia Internet Modem takes 15-30 minutes to request PIN

Further information - the DNA icon in the system tray shows nothing when right-clicked it for the first half hour. Once the PIN request has appeared, however, right-clicking gives a menu with options to select the usb modem, open the program, or remove it.
    So it looks like it is simply taking a long long time for the Nokia Internet Modem software to initialise.

Is there any way of speeding up the modem software startup? What is Nokia Internet Modem doing with 30 minutes and 50% CPU of a 2GHz processor? Calculating factors of large numbers perhaps?

keirf, Aug 27, 2017
  4. dalchina New Member

Hi,
    1. You can set updates to notify and download. I have- I ever have unexpected updates.
    Enable or Disable Windows Update Automatic Updates in Windows 10 Windows 10 Windows Update Activation Tutorials
    and search for notify

- or use Winaero's free tweak tool, which does this for you with full explanation.

2. Set Active Hours to prevent your PC restarting during that period (18 hours max with Creator's Build).

Anything unclear- please try searching, then ask anything further. Hope that helps.

dalchina, Aug 28, 2017
Thema:

1. Shutdown takes 15 minutes, Internet Slow because of Updates - Similar Threads - Shutdown takes minutes

2. Windows Update slows to a crawl from 90% - 98% and fails to update, taking 15 minutes to...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows Update slows to a crawl from 90% - 98% and fails to update, taking 15 minutes to...: Hello, For the past month, I have been dealing with an issue regarding KB5032189 where it would attempt to apply the update but ultimately fail. It always happens the same way, slow update from 0% to 30%, restart, speedy progress from 30% to 90%, total crawl from 90% to 98%...
  3. Windows Update slows to a crawl from 90% - 98% and fails to update, taking 15 minutes to...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows Update slows to a crawl from 90% - 98% and fails to update, taking 15 minutes to...: Hello, For the past month, I have been dealing with an issue regarding KB5032189 where it would attempt to apply the update but ultimately fail. It always happens the same way, slow update from 0% to 30%, restart, speedy progress from 30% to 90%, total crawl from 90% to 98%...
  4. Windows Update slows to a crawl from 90% - 98% and fails to update, taking 15 minutes to...

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  5. Win 10 login takes 15 minutes

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Win 10 login takes 15 minutes: My Windows 10 system takes approx 15 min to boot 2 min and logon 13 min. The time has been gradually increasing for sever months. During this time there is continuous disk activity, as shown by the front panel LED.I want to determine the causes of this delay, and fix the...
  6. Booting Windows on nvme takes 15 minutes, SOS

in Windows 10 Support
    Booting Windows on nvme takes 15 minutes, SOS: Hello, I'm new here, so please let me know if I do something wrong! I desperately need help to fix this issue with my desktop, if anybody can help me I'll be forever grateful. My OS (Windows 10 pro 1803 on Samsung evo 970 M2) used to boot in a matter of seconds (with win fast...
  7. welcome screen taking 15 minutes

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    welcome screen taking 15 minutes: when i startup my pc it takes 15 minutes to get past the login/welcome screen beacause its stuck on the welcome load thing i dont know if this is normal altho i have used 1.3 tb of my 2 tb hhd...
  8. Windows 10 takes 15 minutes to start

in Windows 10 Customization
    Windows 10 takes 15 minutes to start: You will see this problem posted all over the web on various support forums MS or not. As with most windows problems, these are the solutions you will see run sfc/dism disable unnecessary background processes update drivers It is true that you do need to use sfc/dism...
  9. Windows Update Failed and PC now takes 15 minutes to reboot used to take barely 1 minute

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Windows Update Failed and PC now takes 15 minutes to reboot used to take barely 1 minute: Hello, I've been having rebooting issues since my windows update started failing. The errors that I am getting: Updates failed Last checked: Yesterday, 11:39 PM Feature update to Windows 10, version 1903 - Error 0x8000703ed Microsoft .NET Framework 4.8 for Windows 10...
  10. Shutdown taking over 5 minutes

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Shutdown taking over 5 minutes: I have had this issue for a while but I took sometime to figure out what was causing it. My Lenovo yoga 730 with a SSD is taking over 5 minutes to shutdown. I've tested several situations and I found about the issue with USB-C on Windows 10 1809. I have updated to 1909. In...