Windows 10: Shutting down during update and repeated failure to boot afterwards

Discus and support Shutting down during update and repeated failure to boot afterwards in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Hii I accidentally switched off the power to my Asus Laptop when it was updating automatically and since it doesnt run on batteries it immediately... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by Rui Xiang T, Apr 25, 2020.

1. Shutting down during update and repeated failure to boot afterwards

Hii I accidentally switched off the power to my Asus Laptop when it was updating automatically and since it doesnt run on batteries it immediately switched off. On my next bootup I could not reach beyond the logo screen and the screen shows this process repeatedly:

1 a logo of asus 1sec

2 a logo of windows 2s

3 a logo of windows with the loading circle below 3s

4 attempting to recover something, it blinked very quickly

6 undoing changes to your computer... 1s

5 repeats from 1

I have tried f8 keys and it doesn't bring up anything for me. However, I am able to press the esc key during the windows screen and the screen showed options to select boot device: windows boot manager or Enter Setup. I hope to get advice on what I can do next from here. Thanks!

P.S. some background information would be that I held off updating this laptop for a long while because it kept failing to update at some point, and during the next start up it would take some time to undo the changes as well. Therefore whenever the computer prompts for an update I would always delay it, so I think that the windows version should be an earlier version of Windows 10.

:)

Rui Xiang T, Apr 25, 2020
  2. Kenshai Win User

Confusing Disk Boot Failure

Well, Brand new Harddrive the western digital se16 caviar 640. Had a clean install, and while installing drivers and programs after a couple restarts I am receiving disk boot failure. Not the first restart or the second. Each time that it has given me the failure was after installing updates. I've system restored to before installing the updates and it works fine. It's a large list of around 38 or so updates. Granted may be a fluke but anyone heard of this?

P5N-E SLi
    E6420
    OCZ Platinum 2 x 1 kit
    WD 640gb

Kenshai, Apr 25, 2020
  3. repeated failure to upgrade to windows 10

Hi Belinda,

I apologies for the delay in response.

I suggest you to follow the methods below and check if it helps:

Method 1: Run Windows Update Troubleshooter

I suggest you to run the Windows Update Troubleshooter. Follow these steps to run Windows Updatetroubleshooter:

• PressWindows key + W and type troubleshooting.
    • Select Troubleshooting.
    • Select View all on the top left corner.
    • ClickWindows Update troubleshooter.
    • Follow the on-screen instructions to run the troubleshooter.
    • Check if issue persists.
    Method 2:

I suggest you to check if the services responsible for Windows update is running. Refer to these steps:

• Press Windows key +R, type “services.msc
    • Locate the BITS, Cryptographic, MSI Installer and the
      Windows Update Services and check if it is running.
    • If not, right click on the service and click start to start the service.
    Method 3: Place the computer in Clean Boot and then install the updates

To help troubleshoot error messages and other issues, you can start Windows by using a minimal set of drivers and startup programs. This kind of startup is known as a "clean boot." A clean boot helps eliminate software conflicts.

Refer the article below to perform clean boot:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929135

Note: Please refer to the section:
    How to reset the computer to start as usual after troubleshooting with clean boot
    of the Kb article to boot the computer in normal startup after fixing the issue. Steps applies to Windows 10 as well.

Hope this will fix the issue, if not let us know with the updated status and we will be happy to assist you further.

Thank You.

Sangeeta Sarkar, Apr 25, 2020
  4. Landia Win User

Shutting down during update and repeated failure to boot afterwards

Repeat Booting

Hello. I need help on a Toshiba laptop which keeps on repeat booting over and over and over again. I tried to do a Safe Mode by using the SHIFT + Power Button but did nothing. This happen after I just did an update for windows.

Here are some screen shots of my issue:

Shutting down during update and repeated failure to boot afterwards [​IMG]

I don't want to re-install windows unless there is no other way. It seems like it's trying to start windows but it keep repeating the 3 steps or pictures above.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!!

Landia, Apr 25, 2020
Thema:

Shutting down during update and repeated failure to boot afterwards

1. Shutting down during update and repeated failure to boot afterwards - Similar Threads - Shutting down during

2. Failure shut down

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Failure shut down: Every time I shut down my computer the alert "a program prevents shutting down, force shut down or cancel" pops up. And the program is unknown and with no name, just the alert and a program below with no information. What could it be and what should i do. I scanned alot and...
  3. Shut down during windows update

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Shut down during windows update: So, I had put my windows update on and while the update was going on there was a power cut and therefore, my laptop shut down and the next time I started it windows uninstalled the updates and since then I've been facing a very long boot time and the battery dies really...
  4. Shut down during updates now unable to boot up

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Shut down during updates now unable to boot up: I work for a nonprofit and this isn't my laptop/ I haven't laid eyes on the device myself.A client closed their laptop mid-update, then brought the device home and now it will not boot up/restart.Before this happened, they told me that they never performed system updates as...
  5. Laptop shuts down during update

Laptop shuts down during update: My mom's laptop started an automatic update. It got to 17% then shut down and never restarted. I forced a restart and it started the update at 8%. It might get 1% further, then shuts down again. When we turn it back on it's trying to do the update, so can't do anything else....
  6. Windows 10 64bit shuts down and doesn't boot up afterwards

Windows 10 64bit shuts down and doesn't boot up afterwards: I've installed windows 32bit on my new build and it has worked perfectly fine so I know my hardware is working fine. This isn't the first pc I have install windows on either so I know the right way to do it. While upgrading to a clean windows 64bit install, my pc just shuts...
  7. PC shutting down during update

PC shutting down during update: Hi i've been trying to update my win from 10240 to 2004 with both the media tool iso & update assistant but both times the PC shut down at 48% and then undoing changes. here is the log if it can help 2020-08-16 16:08:57, Error MOUPG...
  8. Hard shut down during boot

Hard shut down during boot: I booted my computer, and it just stucks at one of a directory. So I did a hard shut down and when I start my computer again. It leads me to automatic repair, it says my computer didn't start correctly and I try resolving it. Until now, I still can't find a way to fix my...
  9. Laptop Shut Down During Update

Laptop Shut Down During Update: I was running the latest update for Windows 10 but didnt realise my laptop Dell Inspiron 55-5578 wasn't plugged in. Last I checked, the update got to around 30% before the laptop died. I tried turning it back on a few times, but only got to the automatic repair page. From...
  10. Failure to Shut Down.

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Failure to Shut Down.: Occasionally computer refuses to shut down. I have to manually switch off. Appreciate advice please. 116082