Windows 10: Shutting Off Cortana

Discus and support Shutting Off Cortana in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; Is there a way to stop Cortana running in the background. I see it in the "Task Manager', but you cannot 'End Task' it as it comes right back. 13561 Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by emeth, Aug 6, 2015.

1. emeth Win User

Shutting Off Cortana

Is there a way to stop Cortana running in the background.

I see it in the "Task Manager', but you cannot 'End Task' it as it comes right back.

:)

emeth, Aug 6, 2015

2. Shutting off Cortana

I forgot they got rid of that slider. Just turn off all the sliders that you do find there and go into your Privacy settings and make sure they are off as well.

With those settings I've never had Cortana bother me.

IJustHelping, Aug 6, 2015
  3. wacliffo Win User
    Shutting off Cortana

Hi there, can you tell me how you did it? I would like to turn it off in Settings but I don't see where to do it.

Thank you for your reply.

wacliffo, Aug 6, 2015
  4. CmmTch Win User

Shutting Off Cortana

Click on the search icon (magnifying glass) next to start, then the settings icon on the left side of the pop up menu. First choice is turn Cortana on or off. See snip below, it's also in the tutorial I've linked below too.

Check this tutorial Cortana - Turn On or Off in Windows 10 - Windows 10 Forums

Attachment 29049

CmmTch, Aug 6, 2015
  5. emeth Win User
    Thank you Steve; I had already done that, however, Cortana is still listed in the 'Task Manager'

emeth, Aug 6, 2015
  6. CmmTch Win User
    Did you also click the button to "stop getting to know about me" Settings>Privacy>Speech, inking, and typing?

In the tutorial it's step 4. "To Turn Off Cortana and Stop getting to know me" Maybe that will stop the task.

CmmTch, Aug 6, 2015
  7. emeth Win User
    Yes.

emeth, Aug 6, 2015
  8. CmmTch Win User

Shutting Off Cortana

I had to boot back into Win7 so I can't look at task manager in W10 at the moment but can't you stop the task?

I didn't pay any attention to that, I've never had Cortana on so I can't be sure what's causing it or exactly what you might need to do other than stop the task.

CmmTch, Aug 6, 2015
  9. emeth Win User
    Yes, after the 'Stop Cartana' procedure, she still shows up in the 'Task Manager', and even if you, 'End Task' her, she pops right back in.

emeth, Aug 6, 2015
  10. CmmTch Win User
    I booted back into W10 to check and she's in task mgr for me too, see below. I guess that's just the way it is *Rolleyes

There might be a reg hack to remove her, but if it were me (and it is in a sense, I have her in task mgr too) I'm not worrying about it.

Attachment 29089

CmmTch, Aug 6, 2015
  11. emeth Win User
    Thanks for trying.

emeth, Aug 6, 2015
  12. labeeman Win User
    labeeman, Aug 6, 2015
  13. emeth Win User

Shutting Off Cortana

emeth, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

Shutting Off Cortana

1. Shutting Off Cortana - Similar Threads - Shutting Off Cortana

2. Cortana won’t shut?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Cortana won’t shut?: [ATTACH] submitted by /u/PixlPerfect01 [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/il1u2e/cortana_wont_shut/
  3. How can I shut off Cortana completely

in Cortana
    How can I shut off Cortana completely: I don't want to use Cortana nor Edge. I shut them off but they must be running because when I clean my temporary files there are plenty of temporary files being produced. What if I used Regedit and deleted every file named Edge and Cortana....
  4. How do I shut off Cortana?

in Cortana
    How do I shut off Cortana?: I want to stop Cortana breaking into my work. I want to shut off the Cortana App. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-do-i-shut-off-cortana/af7a879b-935c-40e8-9ed9-c0dd49a423da
  5. Cortana off

in Cortana
    Cortana off: I want Cortana off or deleted. How? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/cortana-off/f74577ba-c458-403e-8b1b-1e5b39698bba"
  6. shut off

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    shut off: my shut and restart icon is missing on my lapto cant shut computer down https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/shut-off/bafae3bd-f80b-4a13-8f16-97771df5c1cb
  7. Shutting off?????

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Shutting off?????: My Windows 10 laptop keeps shutting off. And this has been happening for a few days now. But i just assumed my battery was dead. But for once i looked at it and it was on 76%. Which doesnt make sense, so i tried looking up the problem but I don’t want to mess up my laptop...
  8. How do I shut off the Cortana displays?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How do I shut off the Cortana displays?: [img] 62435
  9. can you shut off Cortana following recent changes?

can you shut off Cortana following recent changes?: Earlier you could just turn it off and it was pretty easy. Now Windows just downloaded some updates and it's displaying again and even though I have it set to not collect data about me, the box still appears at the bottom, the microphone icon is there and the logo is there....
  10. turn off cortana

turn off cortana: Just updated to Win10 v14366. How do I turn off Cortana? 53946