Windows 10: Sick and tired of not being able to not download Win 10

Discus and support Sick and tired of not being able to not download Win 10 in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I have an older laptop that Windows itself says is not suitable for Win 10. It keeps trying to download it whenever I try to install Win 7 updates. I... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by Maddad, Dec 8, 2015.

1. Maddad Win User

Sick and tired of not being able to not download Win 10

I have an older laptop that Windows itself says is not suitable for Win 10. It keeps trying to download it whenever I try to install Win 7 updates. I have uninstalled every update to Win 7 that is suppose to stop this, and made a change or 2 to the registry that I found, but nothing stops it from downloading when trying to update Window . I am right now going ahead with the updates of which the Win 10 is the first thing that downloads. If it installs and screws up my laptop can I sue Microsoft?? Kind of joking, but am sick and tired of fighting the download and maybe the install.

:)

Maddad, Dec 8, 2015
  2. BulldogXX Win User

Sick and Tired of Being Sick and Tired!! #WindowsUpdates

You sound just like me not so long ago. I seemed to mess up my computer on a weekly basis. When I tried to fix my mess, that only made it worse.

Finally I got fed up with my own ineptitude and resolved to learn how to use a computer the right way. It was not easy, at least not for me. But I worked hard at it, and now I don't have any trouble with Windows 10 or updates.

I'm not accusing you of being inept, I'm only saying that when you know how to run a computer the right way, and you understand how technology works, the problems are few and far between.

Even after you become the family computer expert, there's still plenty not to like about Windows 10, and the software industry in general. But at least your computer will work well.

BulldogXX, Dec 8, 2015
  3. Sick and Tired of Being Sick and Tired!! #WindowsUpdates

I will look into this thank you, I just want to not have to fresh install ever ever again !! The first 100+ was enough just want to relax and enjoy my time online Sick and tired of not being able to not download Win 10 :)

It'sNotMe-It'sYOU, Dec 8, 2015
  4. Atomic77 Win User

Um I would think if the laptop was not suitable for windows 10 you would not have that option. There is a update that puts a get windows 10 icon on your computer.

Atomic77, Dec 8, 2015
  5. davidhk Win User
    If you old laptop is not "suitable for Win 10", then there is a good chance the install will fail and you will be back to your Win 7.
    If that becomes a reality, have a look at this tutorial :
    Enable or Disable Upgrade to Windows 10 in Windows Update for Windows 7 and 8.1
    https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/2...s-7-8-1-a.html

Use Option One. It's easiest.

davidhk, Dec 8, 2015
  6. NavyLCDR New Member
    NavyLCDR, Dec 9, 2015
  7. CmmTch Win User
    I can vouch for the program that NavyLCDR linked in the post, I use it on my wife's laptop/notebook, she doesn't want to move to W10 at this time. She'd get periodic nag screens that would pop up and of course the update logo in the notification bar.

Downloaded and installed GWX Control Panel on her laptop, and it took care of the problem, no more nag screens popping up, and we set it to remove the upgrade icon too. You can just click to "enable" at such time a user is ready to upgrade, in your case it doesn't sound like that's going to happen so this should be just want you need.

Also can be set to monitor so it doesn't (W10) start all over again with the update logo and pop up nag screens.

P.S. Download the installer, doing it that way it puts that program in "Programs and Features" and it can be uninstalled from control panel.

CmmTch, Dec 9, 2015
  8. Maddad Win User

I tried all the above, and a few more, all that I could find, and have done every kind of search available. I went ahead this afternoon and had 22 updates to install. I did that even though it said it was downloading, not installing, Win 10. Well it looks like Win 10 didn't download, but all the other updates seem to have installed. Know that by looking at the installed updates have been installed. BUT, Windows update still says they need to be installed, but when I try to install them again, it sets at downloading updates and says 0 copied and stays there for hours and never re-downloads them. Sigh!

Maddad, Dec 9, 2015
  9. CmmTch Win User
    You're saying you did download/install GWX Control Panel Ultimate Outsider - Software Downloads from the link NavyLCDR posted?

That will stop W10 right now today, and monitor for future attempts of W10 being downloaded and installed.

I'm not sure if the other problems with windows update are W10 related, 22 updates is quite a few at one time, my wife still uses Win7 Home and she only had 7 or 8 on the 8th of this month.

First thing, get the stopping of the W10 upgrade fixed, mark this thread resolved. Then start a new thread in the Installation and Setup or Windows Updates and Activation forums if the windows update issue of updates not installing still exists.

CmmTch, Dec 9, 2015
  10. Maddad Win User
    Tried GWX a month or so ago. I searched google and of course there are a lot of ways to fix it, and I tried them all. I'll just live with it for now. Oh, I think I had so many updates because there were 2 months of them. I don't use the laptop very often.

Maddad, Dec 9, 2015
  11. CmmTch Win User
    Ah, that explains all the updates, thanks for adding that info Maddad. As I stated I found GWX Control Panel to work great for my needs, my wife was complaining about the near daily W10 nag screens and that program fixed it for her (me)

Too bad it's not working out for you *Sad Especially a PIA since supposedly your laptop can't even run W10.

I had to check the "Using GWX Control Panel" http://blog.ultimateoutsider.com/201...ly-remove.html to see how to use it, and what all it can do.

It will remove everything relating to W10 from your laptop, and monitor to allow the user to stop it from getting re-enabled. Please re-read the help information at the link above and try again Maddad, this worked for me, and it should work for you too. You shouldn't have to put up with the bullying, and social engineering from MS attempting to force W10 on all users.

CmmTch, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Sick and tired of not being able to not download Win 10 - Similar Threads - Sick tired being

2. I'm getting sick and tired of not being able to have full control of a system YOU buy with...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    I'm getting sick and tired of not being able to have full control of a system YOU buy with...: I cant change anything in task scheduler even being administrator and opened it as administrator. I own this **** device payed with MY money but I cannot have fully control over that. Is against the law too.Windows fix this it is on your side not mine....
  3. I'm getting sick and tired of not being able to have full control of a system YOU buy with...

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    I'm getting sick and tired of not being able to have full control of a system YOU buy with...: I cant change anything in task scheduler even being administrator and opened it as administrator. I own this **** device payed with MY money but I cannot have fully control over that. Is against the law too.Windows fix this it is on your side not mine....
  4. I'm getting sick and tired of not being able to have full control of a system YOU buy with...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. ANYONE ELSE sick and tired of the censorship?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    ANYONE ELSE sick and tired of the censorship?: This apparently DOES NOT MEET COMMUNITY GUIDELINESDon't feel bad that Todd is aging because he can no longer color his hair. Comes with the territory. However, Kentucky gets HOT in the summers and those facilities NEED to have air conditioning. Its a MINIMUM blue collar crime...
  6. ANYONE ELSE sick and tired of the censorship?

ANYONE ELSE sick and tired of the censorship?: This apparently DOES NOT MEET COMMUNITY GUIDELINESDon't feel bad that Todd is aging because he can no longer color his hair. Comes with the territory. However, Kentucky gets HOT in the summers and those facilities NEED to have air conditioning. Its a MINIMUM blue collar crime...
  7. I'm tired of not being able to use this Windows

in Windows 10 Gaming
    I'm tired of not being able to use this Windows: I don't know how to solve this problem Every five minutes it restartsDumpFile https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/im-tired-of-not-being-able-to-use-this-windows/4d326571-2b78-4bfe-80e1-a1dfbbb27580
  8. I'm tired of not being able to use this Windows

I'm tired of not being able to use this Windows: I don't know how to solve this problem Every five minutes it restartsDumpFile https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/im-tired-of-not-being-able-to-use-this-windows/4d326571-2b78-4bfe-80e1-a1dfbbb27580
  9. Sick & Tired of W-10 UPDATES!

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Sick & Tired of W-10 UPDATES!: I've used Windows since the mid-1990s, and overall have l liked it . However, over the past year or so automatic updates have repeatedly screwed up my computer. In several cases , after waiting minutes for a W-10 auto update to install, a "Failed to Install" message appears...
  10. Sick and tired of night light mode

in Windows 10 Graphic Cards
    Sick and tired of night light mode: Hello everyone, I know this has been discussed here, still searching for the answer - is this a bug or I miss something? So, how do I make Night Light mode working properly? It is scheduled Sunset - Sunrise but seems like it's turning on and off whenever it decides... I...