Windows 10: Sick of ads

Discus and support Sick of ads in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Can anyone PLEASE tell me how to get rid of these stupid ads. I've got all notifications OFF and I still get these @#(*^%$ ads. I did a search and... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by xpac5896, Dec 27, 2017.

1. xpac5896 Win User

Sick of ads

Can anyone PLEASE tell me how to get rid of these stupid ads. I've got all notifications OFF and I still get these
    @#(*^%$ ads. I did a search and basically they talk about getting rid of ads from browsers.

:)

xpac5896, Dec 27, 2017
  2. BulldogXX Win User

Sick and Tired of Being Sick and Tired!! #WindowsUpdates

You sound just like me not so long ago. I seemed to mess up my computer on a weekly basis. When I tried to fix my mess, that only made it worse.

Finally I got fed up with my own ineptitude and resolved to learn how to use a computer the right way. It was not easy, at least not for me. But I worked hard at it, and now I don't have any trouble with Windows 10 or updates.

I'm not accusing you of being inept, I'm only saying that when you know how to run a computer the right way, and you understand how technology works, the problems are few and far between.

Even after you become the family computer expert, there's still plenty not to like about Windows 10, and the software industry in general. But at least your computer will work well.

BulldogXX, Dec 27, 2017
  3. Sick and Tired of Being Sick and Tired!! #WindowsUpdates

I will look into this thank you, I just want to not have to fresh install ever ever again !! The first 100+ was enough just want to relax and enjoy my time online Sick of ads :)

It'sNotMe-It'sYOU, Dec 27, 2017
  4. Sick of ads

Could you post a screenshot of one just for reference? *Smile

kingtez1984, Dec 27, 2017
  5. f14tomcat Win User
    f14tomcat, Dec 27, 2017
  6. I was more heading to malware related ad pop ups *Smile

Once we have a screenshot we can see if they are malicious or normal *Smile

kingtez1984, Dec 27, 2017
  7. davehc Win User
    Just a word!
    Two quite different items in your op.
    Notifications and Ads are quite different items. If you have turned off all notifications, you should be OK in that area. But, Ads! OMG. I think we have to learn to live with them. Turning them off (There are utilities which can help) Leads to the loss of other small functions. Not worth the bother. I have a particular problem, and suffer more than the average I have a really slow internet connection, and, most adds being graphical, they slow my browsing down to a very slow speed.

davehc, Dec 27, 2017
  8. Barman58 Win User

Sick of ads

I think it's best to wait for a clarification from the OP @xpac5896

Barman58, Dec 27, 2017
  9. xpac5896 Win User
    I don't have a problem with ads, I just hate them. *MadEverything today is ads, ads, ads. It's gotten to the point that you can't even get on your computer and even without getting on the internet you get those $%^&# ads popping up in the corner of your desktop. They aren't malicious or anything like that, they just want you to buy stuff. I've basically gotten rid of a few of them by turning off ALL notifications, which you shouldn't have to do because there are things you want to be notified of. But there is one persistent one that shows up every so often, have no idea when it'll show up but it's distracting as is all the ads Microsoft has allowed to invade Win 10. I guess the only way of getting rid of them is to disconnect from the internet and then hook up when you need to. I'm retired and spend a lot of time using the internet for personal projects especially now that winters here, can't go outside like I like to. So I guess I'll just have to put up with this junk. Maybe if enough people complain to Microsoft about this junk, they might get the idea, course that's like asking for a cold glass of water in the middle of the Sahara desert and no one else is around. Somebody ought to come up with a program to stop them, heck if they did I'd buy it.

xpac5896, Dec 28, 2017
  10. Brink
    Brink New Member
    Hello xpac, *Smile

Until you're able to post a screenshot showing the ad for us to know what specifically may be the source, here's a tutorial below to help turn off the most common sources in Windows 10. Be sure to also see the related tutorials at the bottom as well.

*Arrow Disable Advertising in Windows 10 General Tips Tutorials

Brink, Dec 28, 2017
  11. roy111 Win User
    Hi @xpac5896

you can pay for a win 10 pro license and using gpedit.msc you have to turn off "cortana" and "web search", this is a totally safe and legit way to turn off those adds; from win 10 1607 you cannot turn off cortana anymore in home edition.
    For now it works in win 10 pro, of course there is no guarantee that it will always work because they can prevent to turn off cortana at any time if they decide to do so.

As others already told you a screenshot with adds is of course needed to be sure we're talking about the same adds,
    it seems there are serveral kinds of adds in win 10, this of course is to improve your user experience and give you a better service.

roy111, Dec 28, 2017
  12. xpac5896 Win User
    I've been running Win 10 pro since the first conception of it, reason why is you can do more in regards to controlling Windows than in Home Edition but in any case, I appreciate all the info I've gotten here. I realize that ads generate revenue but there is a point where enough is enough. I record all my TV shows just so I can run through the commercials. If you look at the time the show runs then remove the commercials you knock off about 15 minutes for a one hour show, granted a commercial does come in handy when you want to get a snack or you gotta pee. While I was typing this I was lucky enough to get an ad to pop up so I'll post it. This is the first time I've gotten this one. I've already turned off Cortana but haven't restarted the puter yet, will do so after posting.

xpac5896, Dec 28, 2017
  13. Barman58 Win User

Sick of ads

What security do you have on this system? The ad you show looks like it may not be anything to do with Windows or Microsoft.

A lot of companies on the internet are not averse to loading "extras" onto your system when you download that "Must Have" tool or other program. Many of these will tie into the operating system and feed you ads that you do not need or want

a scan with something like Adaware might find and remove the infection I think you may have

Barman58, Dec 28, 2017
  14. essenbe Win User
    That AD looks like something from Softronic. Most likely something you downloaded from there.

essenbe, Dec 28, 2017
  15. Exactly. I've pretty much quit using Softronic because of the pop ups and misdirection there. Really went downhill imho. Agree with Barman58 about the Adaware. It should help. No offense, but be more careful when at Softronic these days.

indianacarnie, Dec 28, 2017
Thema:

Sick of ads

1. Sick of ads - Similar Threads - Sick ads

2. I'm getting sick of windows. It's just one problem after another. Another clean install...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    I'm getting sick of windows. It's just one problem after another. Another clean install...: Ok. I'm getting sick of windows. It's just one problem after another. Now after my 5th reinstall Disk Managment is completely blank, even the menu's are all white. If I try and open properties for any of my drives all my windows close and nothing else happens. If I look at my...
  3. I'm getting sick of windows. It's just one problem after another. Another clean install...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    I'm getting sick of windows. It's just one problem after another. Another clean install...: Ok. I'm getting sick of windows. It's just one problem after another. Now after my 5th reinstall Disk Managment is completely blank, even the menu's are all white. If I try and open properties for any of my drives all my windows close and nothing else happens. If I look at my...
  4. So Sick of Microsoft Windows.

in Windows 10 Customization
    So Sick of Microsoft Windows.: So i have a folder under a network computer labeled "**** MICROSOFT" it shared the same content as my video library. I finally got the content deleted out of the folder but for some **** reason the content in the video library was deleted also. I don't know why you **** make...
  5. So Sick of Microsoft Windows.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    So Sick of Microsoft Windows.: so i have a folder under a network computer labeled "**** MICROSOFT" it shared the same content as my video library. I finally got the content deleted out of the folder but for some **** reason the content in the video library was deleted also. I don't know why you **** make...
  6. So Sick of Microsoft Windows.

So Sick of Microsoft Windows.: so i have a folder under a network computer labeled "**** MICROSOFT" it shared the same content as my video library. I finally got the content deleted out of the folder but for some **** reason the content in the video library was deleted also. I don't know why you **** make...
  7. sick to death of "the device is in use by another process..." AND don't point me to a...

sick to death of "the device is in use by another process..." AND don't point me to a...: Why can't Microsoft figure this out? It has to be the number one topic from people who are fed up with it. If I go through the proper procedure to eject a usb drive, half of the time it gives me this stupid error and I wind up having to shut the computer down to remove the...
  8. sick to death of "the device is in use by another process..." AND don't point me to a...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    sick to death of "the device is in use by another process..." AND don't point me to a...: Why can't Microsoft figure this out? It has to be the number one topic from people who are fed up with it. If I go through the proper procedure to eject a usb drive, half of the time it gives me this stupid error and I wind up having to shut the computer down to remove the...
  9. I'm sick of Windows screw ups!!! Why are all my png photos suddenly showing blue mountains?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    I'm sick of Windows screw ups!!! Why are all my png photos suddenly showing blue mountains?: I'm am sick of once a week or more windows screwing up something!!! Why are my photos showing blue mountains? It's only the png photos all the others show the actual photo. None of these are in One Drive they are all in my downloads folders. Here's another great windows...
  10. I'm sick of Windows screw ups!!! Why are all my png photos suddenly showing blue mountains?

I'm sick of Windows screw ups!!! Why are all my png photos suddenly showing blue mountains?: I'm am sick of once a week or more windows screwing up something!!! Why are my photos showing blue mountains? It's only the png photos all the others show the actual photo. None of these are in One Drive they are all in my downloads folders. Here's another great windows...