Windows 10: Sick of ads

Discus and support Sick of ads in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I've already turned off Cortana but haven't restarted the puter yet, will do so after posting. Of course you should restart, it does not seems like a... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by xpac5896, Dec 27, 2017.

1. roy111 Win User

Sick of ads

Of course you should restart, it does not seems like a typical cortana add though.

roy111, Dec 28, 2017

2. Some suggestions.

Stop using Softronic.

Four programs I use with success. These programs should remove your 'ad' garbage.

1. AdwCleaner by Malwarebytes.
    2. Malwarebytes anti malware.
    3. Eset free Online scanner.
    4. Super Anti Spyware.

Malwarebytes | AdwCleaner

Malwarebytes | Free Anti-Malware & Malware Removal

Free Virus Scan | Online Virus Scan from ESET ESET

SUPERAntiSpyware Download

Back when dinosaurs were wearing short pants 'Cnet' was a good place to get downloads and then they went to hell in a hand basket.
    I don't know what they are like now for downloads because I haven't used them in years.

Jack

Layback Bear, Dec 28, 2017
  3. Ztruker Win User
    CNET is still the king of bundled software, avoid at all costs.

Ztruker, Dec 28, 2017
  4. Barman58 Win User

Sick of ads

Where possible only get software from the manufacturer's site, these days even this can result in issues with unwanted software, so you should check everything

Barman58, Dec 28, 2017
  5. Edwin New Member
    The screen shot looks like a Chrome or Firefox push notification.

Edwin, Dec 28, 2017
  6. f14tomcat Win User
    Yes it does, Edwin. Pop-ups of permitted notifications.
    @xpac5896, at the upper left of the address bar in your browser, click the information icon and see if you have any specific granted permissions for sites that are causing issues, and turn them off.

Sick of ads [​IMG]

Also, in Firefox options (Don't know the equivalent in Chrome/Edge or others), check in the Options/Privacy and Security to see if any domains have blanket permission to push notifications out to you. Adjust as needed.

Sick of ads [​IMG]

Sick of ads [​IMG]

f14tomcat, Dec 29, 2017
  7. reddice Win User
    reddice, Dec 29, 2017
  8. f14tomcat Win User

Sick of ads

MG is probably the safest of the non-direct sites. Almost always they have links to the vendor's site. So they're kinda a repository of sorts...kinda. Still prefer the direct vendor's site if available and you can find it without searching all day!

f14tomcat, Dec 29, 2017
  9. reddice Win User
    Me too but when I can't find it I download it from majorgeeks.

reddice, Dec 29, 2017
  10. You also can get it via Filepuma:
    Free Software Downloads and Reviews - Filepuma.com

I get the majority of my free software from there.

You can also get IrfanView and other free software via these sites:
    FileHorse.com / Free Software Download for Windows
    Download Free Software for Windows - FileCroco.com

I use these sites as my backup download sites.

lehnerus2000, Dec 29, 2017
  11. This is one thing that I do not get at all in Windows 10, never have from day one. I never even got Candy Crush or whatever it was call. It must be from reading the Tutorials is all I can figure.

Josey Wales, Dec 29, 2017
  12. xpac5896 Win User
    First, To answer the question in regards to using Malwarebytes, I use it, as a matter of fact I have a license and have had one for the last two years and IT WORKS. I also use Bitdefender Total Security and this thing will NOT allow anything to be written to your hard drive unless you tell it to. Heck, I tried installing a program and it wouldn't allow me to install it, had to go to the white paper and put the exe in there. So I guess I'm pretty well secure. I use Chrome so I had to go to the Extensions and turned them off and got rid of any that was there. The ads seem to be from Softonic and I have no programs from them so I don't know how or why their showing up. Even did a search on the puter for any programs with Softonic name and nothing shows up. As far as Candy Crush is concerned, turned that tile off when it first showed up, have no use for it nor any live tiles in Win 10, they're all turned off, they use memory. Haven't done the deal with the browser in regards to the notifications in the address bar. I'll have to check that out on different sites but at the present time, on this site, notifications are blocked but don't know if that holds true on all sites may hold true on all sites, just don't know.
    Have noticed that on the pop up there is a cog thingy and I clicked on it and it opened up Chrome so it must be linked to the browser. AS I stated before all notifications are off so I have no idea where else to look. If push come to shove I'll get rid of chrome and start using Fire Fox.

xpac5896, Dec 29, 2017
  13. Barman58 Win User

Sick of ads

You could download Microsoft's own Autoruns and check for any issues, there is a number of tabs for Startup items that shows everything that is ever loaded with, or without, user permission, you can also check the Known Hijacks Tab which often shows any browser related naughtiness
    Autoruns for Windows - Windows Sysinternals | Microsoft Docs

If you see something that you are not sure off in the output (it can be a bit overwhelming ), it's possible to save the output and zip it and upload here where one of use can take a look for you

Barman58, Dec 29, 2017
  14. xpac5896 Win User
    reddice: Never used IrfanView. Just might have to take a look at it. I notice you have "Cats are the best pets". I have three of them, all black, found one in a sewer, crazy little sucker but just loves the heck out of everybody, I believe it's part Siamese, the eyes.

xpac5896, Dec 29, 2017
  15. HI, you can also get irfanview/irfanview64 as uwp app from the windows/microsoft store as well. That's where I got mine and it works pretty good. You can set it as the default viewer instead of photos.

titetanium, Dec 29, 2017
Thema:

Sick of ads

1. Sick of ads - Similar Threads - Sick ads

2. I'm getting sick of windows. It's just one problem after another. Another clean install...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    I'm getting sick of windows. It's just one problem after another. Another clean install...: Ok. I'm getting sick of windows. It's just one problem after another. Now after my 5th reinstall Disk Managment is completely blank, even the menu's are all white. If I try and open properties for any of my drives all my windows close and nothing else happens. If I look at my...
  3. I'm getting sick of windows. It's just one problem after another. Another clean install...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    I'm getting sick of windows. It's just one problem after another. Another clean install...: Ok. I'm getting sick of windows. It's just one problem after another. Now after my 5th reinstall Disk Managment is completely blank, even the menu's are all white. If I try and open properties for any of my drives all my windows close and nothing else happens. If I look at my...
  4. So Sick of Microsoft Windows.

in Windows 10 Customization
    So Sick of Microsoft Windows.: So i have a folder under a network computer labeled "**** MICROSOFT" it shared the same content as my video library. I finally got the content deleted out of the folder but for some **** reason the content in the video library was deleted also. I don't know why you **** make...
  5. So Sick of Microsoft Windows.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    So Sick of Microsoft Windows.: so i have a folder under a network computer labeled "**** MICROSOFT" it shared the same content as my video library. I finally got the content deleted out of the folder but for some **** reason the content in the video library was deleted also. I don't know why you **** make...
  6. So Sick of Microsoft Windows.

So Sick of Microsoft Windows.: so i have a folder under a network computer labeled "**** MICROSOFT" it shared the same content as my video library. I finally got the content deleted out of the folder but for some **** reason the content in the video library was deleted also. I don't know why you **** make...
  7. sick to death of "the device is in use by another process..." AND don't point me to a...

sick to death of "the device is in use by another process..." AND don't point me to a...: Why can't Microsoft figure this out? It has to be the number one topic from people who are fed up with it. If I go through the proper procedure to eject a usb drive, half of the time it gives me this stupid error and I wind up having to shut the computer down to remove the...
  8. sick to death of "the device is in use by another process..." AND don't point me to a...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    sick to death of "the device is in use by another process..." AND don't point me to a...: Why can't Microsoft figure this out? It has to be the number one topic from people who are fed up with it. If I go through the proper procedure to eject a usb drive, half of the time it gives me this stupid error and I wind up having to shut the computer down to remove the...
  9. I'm sick of Windows screw ups!!! Why are all my png photos suddenly showing blue mountains?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    I'm sick of Windows screw ups!!! Why are all my png photos suddenly showing blue mountains?: I'm am sick of once a week or more windows screwing up something!!! Why are my photos showing blue mountains? It's only the png photos all the others show the actual photo. None of these are in One Drive they are all in my downloads folders. Here's another great windows...
  10. I'm sick of Windows screw ups!!! Why are all my png photos suddenly showing blue mountains?

I'm sick of Windows screw ups!!! Why are all my png photos suddenly showing blue mountains?: I'm am sick of once a week or more windows screwing up something!!! Why are my photos showing blue mountains? It's only the png photos all the others show the actual photo. None of these are in One Drive they are all in my downloads folders. Here's another great windows...