Windows 10: Sick of ads

Discus and support Sick of ads in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; You must also be watchful for good sites that have changed their methods. Example would be how Avast has change their methods with downloads in the... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by xpac5896, Dec 27, 2017.

1. Sick of ads

You must also be watchful for good sites that have changed their methods.
    Example would be how Avast has change their methods with downloads in the last few weeks.
    One should keep on their internet toes all the time.

A few weeks ago just getting a update to Ccleaner, using Ccleaner got me Chrome.
    Their was no boxes to check or un-check. They have sense put those boxes in their download giving one a choice.
    It took a lot of work on my part to completely remove Chrome. The same thing happened when updating Speccy.
    Of course this would not of happened if I would of already had Chrome.

These types of shady practices is one reason I don't have Chrome.

Jack

Layback Bear, Dec 29, 2017
  2. Barman58 Win User

Jack, I would have to politely disagree with this line in your post *Wink ... Yes, Google do pay Avast to distribute their Chrome Browser, But it is Piriform / Avast that does it in an underhand way, so it would be these that I would, (and indeed have), boycott(ed) *Smile

Barman58, Dec 29, 2017
  3. Ztruker Win User
    CCleaner is owned by Avast and had a major malware problem back in September:
    Code: Hackers have successfully breached CCleaner’s security to inject malware into the app and distribute it to millions of users. Security researchers at Cisco Talos discovered that download servers used by Avast (the company that owns CCleaner) were compromised to distribute malware inside CCleaner. “For a period of time, the legitimate signed version of CCleaner 5.33 being distributed by Avast also contained a multi-stage malware payload that rode on top of the installation of CCleaner,” says the Talos team. CCleaner has been downloaded more than 2 billion times according to Avast, making it a popular target for hackers. Dubbed “crap cleaner,” it’s designed to wipe out cookies and offer some web privacy protections. 2.27 million users have been affected by the attack, and Avast Piriform believes it was able to prevent the breach harming customers. “Piriform believes that these users are safe now as its investigation indicates it was able to disarm the threat before it was able to do any harm,” says an Avast spokesperson.[/quote] CCleaner bundles Chrome or Avast and has for quite awhile now so you have to be careful when installing it. It's safe to use and has been since right after the problem was found.

Ztruker, Dec 29, 2017
  4. Sick of ads

I understand and agree with your point Nigel.
    The problem was probably the fault of all parties.
    Avast and Chrome.
    Avast for doing it and Chrome for not watch how Avast was bundling their product.
    Either way I wanted Ccleaner and Speccy updated and not the hidden bundles.
    Now to be fair, I do understand how and why things are offered when one downloads things.
    All I expect is a method to choose whether I want the extra goodies or not. That mistake was probable Avast fault.
    I don't want at this time Avast or Chrome. I also don't know the agreement that Avast and Chrome had on how to disperse Chrome.
    All I want is a choice.

Jack

Layback Bear, Dec 29, 2017
  5. Barman58 Win User
    Jack, let's be honest Chrome (or should I say Google), are not the sort to say anything to Avast if their methods get them an increased browser market share, and I have to admit that doing what Avast did for themselves, By including an unseen install of avast, (A security product), with a cleanup utility (Ccleaner), was a lot worse, (Especially for less tech savvy users), than installing an additional alternative browser.

Google themselves are not squeaky clean in their business methods, so I doubt they are totally clean in this, and of course someone else takes the flak, as usual *Wink

Barman58, Dec 29, 2017
  6. Ztruker Win User
    You can opt of of installing both Avast and Chrome, just uncheck them.

Sick of ads [​IMG]

Ztruker, Dec 30, 2017
  7. Your correct Ztrukey, choices are there now.
    That is the way it is now but before people complained, those options boxes where not there.
    Those boxes were also not there using Customize until people started complaining.

Jack

Layback Bear, Dec 30, 2017
  8. Sick of ads

No Google (anything) is not squeaky clean. I do believe but can not prove that the unauthorized install of Google Chrome is what installed the
    Google bundle on my system. It took me a couple three days to find it and remove it. The Google bundle cause all kinds of problems.
    I first started noticing that the browser cache was extremely high; over 300,000 K. Now finding what is causing this high amount.
    It was
    Win32/Bundled.Toolbar.Google.D potentially unsafe application

Once removed that problem was solved.
    Sas, Malwarebytes, AdwCleaner and MSE didn't find it but my good old standby did, 'Eset free online scanner'.

Jack

Layback Bear, Dec 30, 2017
  9. Callender Win User
    FYI:

Sick of ads [​IMG]

CCleaner - Builds

Ccleaner Slim is usually released a few days after the regular build.

Callender, Dec 30, 2017
  10. Barman58 Win User
    OK I think we need to get back to the specific point of this thread now and try to help xpac5896 to get rid of these Softronic Ads

The discussion of more general issues has been useful to show what the state of advertising practice now is on the Net, but we do not want to forget the original poster

Barman58, Dec 30, 2017
  11. Callender Win User
    Okay download a copy of portable ZHP Cleaner from here:
    https://www.nicolascoolman.com/fr/wp...ZHPCleaner.exe

Place the downloaded ZHPCleaner.exe into a new folder on your desktop and run it - right click then choose "run as administrator"

In the GUI hit the scan button then wait.

If it asks you about a DNS server check your current settings in Network & Sharing Center.

Control Panel\All Control Panel Items\Network Connections
    Network Adapter> Properties> TCP/Ipv4> Properties. Check DNS Server address and make sure it's your ISP's or one that you personally specified.

After the scan click the "Repair" tab and check the items found (inspect all tabs)

Sick of ads [​IMG]

Then:

Sick of ads [​IMG]

Important Note:
    Do not exit the program or close the window without validating choices as this might result in auto cleaning.

Once validated exit the program and upload the ZHPCleaner.txt file that should be found on your desktop.

Callender, Dec 31, 2017
  12. Have they only just put that option there as last time Ccleaner updated it installed both chrome and avast and I had to go into programs to remove both as avast shut down windows defender

hTconeM9user, Dec 31, 2017
  13. fdegrove Win User

Sick of ads

Hi,

As far as I know, yes. I only had CCleaner install Chrome once because I wasn't paying attention during the install process.

Cheers, *Wink

fdegrove, Dec 31, 2017
  14. Well it would be much easier to stay exactly on subject if xpac would respond to our post.

What was the results of my post #15? Were my suggestion completed or ignored?
    Was any suggestions by any poster done or ignored?
    If anything was done, what was the results?

Response to our posts by the OP would tend to keep us on the straight and narrow.
    We need help from the OP in order to give proper help to the OP.
    If any of my post in this thread has mislead anybody, please point them out and I will remove said post.
    I will just wait until the OP responds.

Jack

Layback Bear, Dec 31, 2017
  15. Softronic-One of the sites that I would never download anything from.

Josey Wales, Dec 31, 2017
Thema:

Sick of ads

1. Sick of ads - Similar Threads - Sick ads

2. I'm getting sick of windows. It's just one problem after another. Another clean install...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    I'm getting sick of windows. It's just one problem after another. Another clean install...: Ok. I'm getting sick of windows. It's just one problem after another. Now after my 5th reinstall Disk Managment is completely blank, even the menu's are all white. If I try and open properties for any of my drives all my windows close and nothing else happens. If I look at my...
  3. I'm getting sick of windows. It's just one problem after another. Another clean install...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    I'm getting sick of windows. It's just one problem after another. Another clean install...: Ok. I'm getting sick of windows. It's just one problem after another. Now after my 5th reinstall Disk Managment is completely blank, even the menu's are all white. If I try and open properties for any of my drives all my windows close and nothing else happens. If I look at my...
  4. So Sick of Microsoft Windows.

in Windows 10 Customization
    So Sick of Microsoft Windows.: So i have a folder under a network computer labeled "**** MICROSOFT" it shared the same content as my video library. I finally got the content deleted out of the folder but for some **** reason the content in the video library was deleted also. I don't know why you **** make...
  5. So Sick of Microsoft Windows.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    So Sick of Microsoft Windows.: so i have a folder under a network computer labeled "**** MICROSOFT" it shared the same content as my video library. I finally got the content deleted out of the folder but for some **** reason the content in the video library was deleted also. I don't know why you **** make...
  6. So Sick of Microsoft Windows.

So Sick of Microsoft Windows.: so i have a folder under a network computer labeled "**** MICROSOFT" it shared the same content as my video library. I finally got the content deleted out of the folder but for some **** reason the content in the video library was deleted also. I don't know why you **** make...
  7. sick to death of "the device is in use by another process..." AND don't point me to a...

sick to death of "the device is in use by another process..." AND don't point me to a...: Why can't Microsoft figure this out? It has to be the number one topic from people who are fed up with it. If I go through the proper procedure to eject a usb drive, half of the time it gives me this stupid error and I wind up having to shut the computer down to remove the...
  8. sick to death of "the device is in use by another process..." AND don't point me to a...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    sick to death of "the device is in use by another process..." AND don't point me to a...: Why can't Microsoft figure this out? It has to be the number one topic from people who are fed up with it. If I go through the proper procedure to eject a usb drive, half of the time it gives me this stupid error and I wind up having to shut the computer down to remove the...
  9. I'm sick of Windows screw ups!!! Why are all my png photos suddenly showing blue mountains?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    I'm sick of Windows screw ups!!! Why are all my png photos suddenly showing blue mountains?: I'm am sick of once a week or more windows screwing up something!!! Why are my photos showing blue mountains? It's only the png photos all the others show the actual photo. None of these are in One Drive they are all in my downloads folders. Here's another great windows...
  10. I'm sick of Windows screw ups!!! Why are all my png photos suddenly showing blue mountains?

I'm sick of Windows screw ups!!! Why are all my png photos suddenly showing blue mountains?: I'm am sick of once a week or more windows screwing up something!!! Why are my photos showing blue mountains? It's only the png photos all the others show the actual photo. None of these are in One Drive they are all in my downloads folders. Here's another great windows...