Windows 10: Sick of Windows update making my PC completely unusable

Discus and support Sick of Windows update making my PC completely unusable in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; Hi there. So I have my update settings to happen when the PC is inactive, but every couple-few weeks, when I suppose it's preparing and downloading a... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by adamthemute, Jun 17, 2022.

1. Sick of Windows update making my PC completely unusable

Hi there. So I have my update settings to happen when the PC is inactive, but every couple-few weeks, when I suppose it's preparing and downloading a future update, my PC cannot even do basic functions. It takes a good minute+ to open a new webpage, or even task manager. A few weeks ago I bit the bullet and tried a reset to hopefully speed things up, and it took 1.5 hours to finish, with it being sluggish a good hour afterwards. I'm sure a solid state drive would speed things up, and I know of the re-indexing it does after the update and reset, but my point is that it makes a decent PC complet

:)

adamthemute, Jun 17, 2022
  2. 3Colors Win User

Windows Updated(16299.309).KB4088776 Restart is required to complete.

Hi dalchina. Good news, I followed your suggestion and reinstalled the update and now it appears as "installed correctly" *Biggrin Maybe it was not necessary to run the Windows Update Troubleshooter or maybe if necessary. But using it I do not think it could have worsened something. The installation was very fast, unlike the first time it showed step 1 and step 2 completed.

Thanks for the suggestions and for the time to respond Sick of Windows update making my PC completely unusable :) Best regards.

And thanks for the tip of that program, I'll have it on my list.

3Colors, Jun 17, 2022
  3. jtw23 Win User
    Bloatware updates make system unusable

A couple of things just occurred to me.

The way a software update works is in two steps. The first step is to
    download the files, and the second step is to install the files. The
    problem I've been describing is that installing the files for Windows
    apps (bloatware) takes over the whole machine, and makes it almost
    unusable.

The Windows OS updates are installed by requiring a restart, and then
    the installation takes place during the restart ("23% completed --
    don't turn off your computer"), and that take a few minutes or a
    couple of hours, depending on the size of the update,

The bloatware updates are similar, except that they don't require a
    restart. Instead they simply make your system almost unusable for a
    couple of hours. In other words, the OS updates and the App updates
    really both take control of the computer, but the OS updates do it in
    the context of a restart.

That shouldn't happen. The app installation should just run in the
    background, and allow everything else to run normally. The fact that
    it's making the system almost unusable means that the installation is
    running at a high priority. If it ran at a normal priority, then
    maybe there wouldn't be any problem.

Well, it occurs to me that the Process Explorer program (from
    sysinternals) has a "Priority" column. I have Process Explorer up all
    the time anyway, so it's handy when there's a problem. So now I've
    added the "Priority" column, and I've set the display to show
    processes in decreasing order of priority. And wow, there's a bunch
    of them running at priority 13 (high), and most of them running at 8
    (normal). Interestingly, Firefox and Chrome run at priority 4 (low).

So anyway, next time I get an attack, I'll take a look at the Process
    Explorer window, and maybe that will tell me who's causing the
    problem. And maybe, just maybe, I can just set that process to normal
    or low priority, and solve the problem. (Sorry, I may have crossed
    the line into fantasy thinking, but I can't help myself.)

jtw23, Jun 17, 2022
  4. Sick of Windows update making my PC completely unusable

Update Makes Dell Touchscreen Unusable

Hi
    RandEdwards

Step 1: Windows Version & Latest OS Build

• To check your latest build:
      • Windows Key + R
      • Run window will open
      • Type:
      • winver
      • And press enter to open About Windows
      • Cross check whether you have latest Version & OS Build
      • Till Today: Windows 10 Version 1607 & OS Build
    • You may achieve latest version through steps 2.
    • If you have a latest version, go to step 3.

Step 2: Windows 10 Anniversary Update(Version 1607):

• To download & install Windows 10 Anniversary Update, follow any of the mentioned methods
    Method 1:
    Microsoft - "Update now"

Sick of Windows update making my PC completely unusable 059f18f9-5ead-4b9f-9831-4b511273af47.png

Method 2:
    Microsoft - "Download tool now"
    (Recommended)

Sick of Windows update making my PC completely unusable 7fbfd0b6-006f-434c-80c8-2d9fb3154215.png

Though you have upgraded to latest version of Windows, please proceed to step 3.

Step 3: Windows Update(OS Build 14393.82)

• Once again update through Windows Update
    • Follow this steps:
      • Click on Windows Key
      • Click on Settings
      • Click on Update & Security
      • On left panel click on Windows Update
      • On right panel under Windows Update click on Check for Updates

If still getting an error proceed to step 4

Step 4:
    Check & Restore windows integrity

• Click on Windows Key
    • Type Command Prompt
    • Right click on Command Prompt
      and run as Administrator
    • Command Prompt window will open and type the following command and press enter
    • DISM.exe /Online /Cleanup-image /Scanhealth && DISM.exe /Online /Cleanup-image /Restorehealth
    • Please refer a screenshot
      Sick of Windows update making my PC completely unusable 53d9a097-d501-4797-b6d2-138eddca1971.png
    • Do you get any error or message??

Step 5: Scan your system

• Scan your system by Windows Defender(Recommended) or antivirus program
    If still getting an error proceed to step 6

Step 6: OEM Support

• Visit OEM Website -
      DELL Support
      :
      • Download latest software & drivers
      • Use Diagnostic test
      • You may also contact them for support

Step 7: Please let us know

• Please let us know if the issue is Resolved or Not. Please feel free to communicate by replying if you have need more help

Roharashraj™, Jun 17, 2022
Thema:

Sick of Windows update making my PC completely unusable

1. Sick of Windows update making my PC completely unusable - Similar Threads - Sick update making

2. New windows update made my computer completely unusable

in Windows 10 Gaming
    New windows update made my computer completely unusable: Hey, The new windows update has made it so I can't get past my pin page on start up. I followed some instructions on this website to start up in safe mode and disable the pin with my myconfig.exe so I did that but it's still saying my pin isn't available. So I rebooted again...
  3. New windows update made my computer completely unusable

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    New windows update made my computer completely unusable: Hey, The new windows update has made it so I can't get past my pin page on start up. I followed some instructions on this website to start up in safe mode and disable the pin with my myconfig.exe so I did that but it's still saying my pin isn't available. So I rebooted again...
  4. My PC has become completely unusable.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    My PC has become completely unusable.: So i've completely resetted my computer on January 27, 2023, and when the reset completes i complete the whole new computer setup guide. But when i am allowed access to my computer. it all of a sudden becomes completely unusable. The mouse barely moves it's like its lagging,...
  5. Sick of Windows update making my PC completely unusable

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Sick of Windows update making my PC completely unusable: Hi there. So I have my update settings to happen when the PC is inactive, but every couple-few weeks, when I suppose it's preparing and downloading a future update, my PC cannot even do basic functions. It takes a good minute+ to open a new webpage, or even task manager. A...
  6. Sick of Windows update making my PC completely unusable

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Sick of Windows update making my PC completely unusable: Hi there. So I have my update settings to happen when the PC is inactive, but every couple-few weeks, when I suppose it's preparing and downloading a future update, my PC cannot even do basic functions. It takes a good minute+ to open a new webpage, or even task manager. A...
  7. Windows updates are making me sick

Windows updates are making me sick: So Windows 10 is great and stuff but during updates and "silent" updates my pc is becoming insanely slow. I can't use browser, steam, office. And then I have to wait for 10-30 minutes because suprise-suprise dear Microsoft, not everyone has ssd. So i'm just asking: is there...
  8. Windows 10 is making me sick

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Windows 10 is making me sick: I currently have a Dell inspiron n4010 it came brand new with windows 7 installed. I upgraded it to windows 10 back in dec 2018 then updated it in april. Didnt used it again until this week. The wifi option is gone the driver Is missing on the listed drivers it only comes up...
  9. Windows 10 1903 update making my pc unusable

Windows 10 1903 update making my pc unusable: After updating to 1903 my pc freezes every 30mins to 1 hour and i have to reset. Google Chrome is also not loading websites, Edge does. When I roll back to previous version of Windows everything works fine, except I can't update Nvidia drivers because the drivers are not...
  10. hey my update is making me sick

hey my update is making me sick: hello so ibought a new pc and it was running win 10 when i went to download update it installled other update but not the 1803 verison. and when i downloaded the fall creatores update my system restarted and working on update sudduly it restarted the third time this it...