Windows 10: Side-by-Side error, and unable to create recovery drive

Discus and support Side-by-Side error, and unable to create recovery drive in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; My machine had a glitch and now I can't run most programs, getting the "Application has failed to start because its side-by-side configuration is... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by richardbarvainis, Sep 15, 2020.

1. Side-by-Side error, and unable to create recovery drive

My machine had a glitch and now I can't run most programs, getting the "Application has failed to start because its side-by-side configuration is incorrect."

I tried various recovery methods, but nothing works. I was advised to delete and reinstall the Visual C++ files, but the machine won't even let me delete them. It won't create a recovery USB, just thinks for a while and then says it failed. I have a correctly sized 16 GB usb drive plugged in.

I'd like to start over and reinstall Windows 10 from scratch, but I don't have the key and don't know where to find it. Not sure what to do next.

Any help appreciated.

Rich

:)

richardbarvainis, Sep 15, 2020

2. Unable to create a recovery drive on Windows 10

Hello Mike,

As you are unable to create a system recovery drive on your operating system we will help you with this issue.

Do let us know the following to assist you better with this issue:

• Have you installed any third-party anti-virus software on your device?
    • For how long time does the process stuck with loading circle?
    • Were you able to see any error code/ error message with this issue?

Try few of the below troubleshooting steps and check if it helps.

Step 1: Disable the third-party anti-virus software and try to create a recovery drive.

NOTE: Antivirus software can help protect your computer against viruses and other security threats. In most cases, you shouldn't disable your antivirus software. If you
    have to temporarily disable it to install other software, you should re-enable it as soon as you're done. If you're connected to the Internet or a network while your antivirus software is disabled, your computer is vulnerable to attacks.

If the issue still persists, I suggest you to uninstall the third-party anti-virus software.

Step 2: Follow the below steps to create a recovery drive on your device.

A recovery drive can help you troubleshoot and fix problems with your PC, even if it won't start. To create one, all you need is a USB drive.

Follow:

• From the taskbar, search for Create a recovery drive then select it. You might be asked to enter an admin password or confirm your choice.
    • When the tool opens, make sure Back up system files to the recovery drive is selected, then select
      Next.
    • Connect a USB drive to your PC, select it, then select Next > Create. A lot of files need to be copied to the recovery drive, so this might take a while.
    • When it's finished, you might see a Delete the recovery partition from your PC link on the final screen. If you want to free up drive space on your PC, select the link, then select
      Delete. If not, select Finish.

Reference: Create a recovery drive

Hope it helps. Get back to us with an updated status of this issue and required information for further assistance.

Thank you.

Deepika Gowda, Sep 15, 2020
  3. Sam Jones Win User
    Error creating recovery drive, unable to to create recovery drive

Using the recovery drive creation wizard, get the error below:

"We can't create the recovery drive -- a problem occurred while creating the recovery drive"

Side-by-Side error, and unable to create recovery drive IreEz.png

I have rebooted and retried, etc.

I believe that, while the system runs Win10 fine and boots without issue, that the windows recovery partition on the hard drive may be incomplete in some way. So perhaps this question is: How to repair the windows recovery partition? (This is after upgrading a win 7 system to win 10)

What steps to take?

Sam Jones, Sep 15, 2020
  4. Side-by-Side error, and unable to create recovery drive

Unable to create a recovery drive on Windows 10

Hi

Thanks for trying! did turn off Avast, no change; got rid of Avast and cleaned the registry, no change.

There are no error messages, the 'create a recovery drive' procedure appears to enter an endless loop as it searches for available drives.

I also have a carousel of screen backgrounds - when the background changes some processes reset (during a file renaming, or, from the middle of a large group of files to the first file in the folder)

Sometimes I lose the availability of the bottom toolbar and need to restart Windows Explorer by using task manager.

Are these in any way related? my update was not clean enough? I should reinstall Windows10?

Cheers

MikeWatters, Sep 15, 2020
Thema:

Side-by-Side error, and unable to create recovery drive

1. Side-by-Side error, and unable to create recovery drive - Similar Threads - Side Side error

2. Side by side error

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Side by side error: I attempt to install Autodesk Revit 2024. but it finished in the middle of installing process. and an error with a "side-by-side" message appeared. I uninstalled C++ and reinstall an updated one, but the problem persists. what do I have to do?...
  3. Side by side error

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Side by side error: I attempt to install Autodesk Revit 2024. but it finished in the middle of installing process. and an error with a "side-by-side" message appeared. I uninstalled C++ and reinstall an updated one, but the problem persists. what do I have to do?...
  4. Side by SIde error

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Side by SIde error: Hi, I am getting side by side error while running any program on windows 10. error is "Application has failed to start because side by side configuration is incorrect. Event log is showing below detailsActivation context generation failed for "System Default Context"....
  5. Side by SIde error

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Side by SIde error: Hi, I am getting side by side error while running any program on windows 10. error is "Application has failed to start because side by side configuration is incorrect. Event log is showing below detailsActivation context generation failed for "System Default Context"....
  6. Side by SIde error

7. side by side error

side by side error: am an able to install any application on my windows 10 home pc as i am getting the following error the application has failed to start because its side-side configuration is incorrect, Please see application event log or use the command-line sxctrace.exe tool for more detail,...
  8. Side-by-side error

in Windows 10 Customization
    Side-by-side error: hey, out of nowhere im getting this side-by-side error in almost all applications. [ATTACH] I've tried pretty much every solution i could find regarding this error and nothing works. the only things i didn't try are installing the MS C++ redistributables the problem is i...
  9. Side By Side Error

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Side By Side Error: I have a Win 10 desktop which was new at the beginning of the year. I recently applied a patch to a program Cyberlink PowerDVD as recommended by the vendor. The patch/program failed to install causing the desktop to blue screen. There were no Windows crash dumps, but the...
  10. Side by Side error

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Side by Side error: Does anyone know how to fix side by side errors? Cant open excel and a few other apps... https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/side-by-side-error/89890df9-d383-4883-bda7-942889fe4bc4