Windows 10: Side effects/questions converting an MS account to a local account?

Discus and support Side effects/questions converting an MS account to a local account? in User Accounts and Family Safety to solve the problem; I have had some annoying MS account related issues on our new laptop (whilst our desktop works fine with our family accounts). See User account and... Discussion in 'User Accounts and Family Safety' started by Scottyboy99, Mar 30, 2016.

1. Side effects/questions converting an MS account to a local account?

I have had some annoying MS account related issues on our new laptop (whilst our desktop works fine with our family accounts). See User account and family issues. It's made me consider on the laptop to convert my main administrator MS account login to a local account and dispense with multiple user accounts on it. However before I do this I wondered about several things ...

1. We have several user accounts on the laptop (all MS / family linked). Presumably I need to delete these other user accounts first - Or what happens to these if I don't. Seeing as the account I plan to turn local is mine and I am 'head' of the family. If I delete them normally I see the rest of the family listed under family settings as 'Can Log In' and allow them. Will this listing disappear under settings if I convert to local?
    2. As the whole MS / family setup works perfectly on our main desktop PC I hope there is no knock on effect towards the whole multi-user family account setups on here. I'd hate to do the change on our laptop and some nasty side effect to rear it's head on the desktop. It should remain untouched and still list our family under 'family settings'.
    3. With a single local account setup on the laptop what happens if I want to use the store on it? Can I still buy apps, films, music etc? Will existing apps I had previously downloaded still work? I am probably wrong but I was under the impression you had to be logging in with an MS account rather than a local account to use it?
    4. Can Cortana still be used for interests etc on a local account - I'd still like to see weather / headlines etc
    5. MS Office 365 login and onedrive - do these still work ok under local accounts?
    6. The final most important thing I don't want to upset - iTunes and all my music on the laptop. My iTunes library points to my existing music folder under C:/users and is all iCloud / iTunes match enabled. I worry that the user account change to local will unsettle all of that. Especially as the library points to files in a specific location. My assumption is the change to local will change my name under C:/users, therefore iTunes won't know where to look (or it will) and report ! next to all the songs as it would of been expecting to find them under my old user name folder - hope that made sense, hard to explain.

Of course I'd rather not make this change and keep the multi family accounts setup on the laptop but the user accounts are proving frustrating (as per my thread link at the top) with intermittent long delays accessing anything MS account related every 24 hours for some reason. My son can barely use his as due to being a child account edge (and IE11) is taking upto a minute to become useable for him, presumably as it waits for MS servers to track his activity. I don't know whether to blame MS servers (seems as if they could be to blame) or the laptop is glitching (maybe next cumulative update will heal the grief as it's only couple weeks old and hasn't had one since initial setup and of course around that time languages/speech packs were being setup, lots of installations etc so it could of got itself into a pickle)

Thanks,
    Wayne

:)

Scottyboy99, Mar 30, 2016
  2. amacabama Win User

User folder name truncated

I found I had to do a reinstall anyway so:

1. I reinstalled using a local account in my name

2. I ran the mail app which converts the local account into a MS account

Now okay. Drastic but effective.

Andrew

amacabama, Mar 30, 2016
  3. Converting local account to ms account

Hi,

Thank you for being part of Windows 10 family.

Sorry to know that you are facing issues with Windows 10.

In order to help you better, please provide the information:

Are you trying to convert Standard or admin account to Microsoft account?

I would suggest you to create new Administrator local account and then try changing it to Microsoft account. Check if it helps.

Please refer to below link as reference:

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-10/getstarted-microsoft-account

Reply to us with the information, so that we can resolve the issue.

Hope it helps. Get back to us for further assistance on Windows related issues. We will be glad to help.

Nyima Yonten, Mar 30, 2016
Thema:

Side effects/questions converting an MS account to a local account?

1. Side effects/questions converting an MS account to a local account? - Similar Threads - Side effects questions

2. Convert local account to microsoft account

in Windows Hello & Lockscreen
    Convert local account to microsoft account: When I installed windows I couldn't get online, so I created a local account. Now that I am online, I want to convert it into my Microsoft account but there is no option in account settings to switch to or from a local account, which is what every since guide is telling me I...
  3. Convert local account to microsoft account

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Convert local account to microsoft account: When I installed windows I couldn't get online, so I created a local account. Now that I am online, I want to convert it into my Microsoft account but there is no option in account settings to switch to or from a local account, which is what every since guide is telling me I...
  4. Convert local account to microsoft account

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Convert a Microsoft account to a local account

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Convert a Microsoft account to a local account: I had a local account on my PC that has been changed to a Microsoft account ever since I signed into the Microsoft Store app. I would like to change my account back to a local account. I don't want to create a new local account because then I'll have to re-install a lot of...
  6. Convert a Microsoft account to a local account

Convert a Microsoft account to a local account: I had a local account on my PC that has been changed to a Microsoft account ever since I signed into the Microsoft Store app. I would like to change my account back to a local account. I don't want to create a new local account because then I'll have to re-install a lot of...
  7. Converting inaccessible account to local/other MS account?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Converting inaccessible account to local/other MS account?: So basically I can't access my microsoft account that my PC profile is linked to, and I cannot recover it, so how do I transfer all data to another microsoft account that is currently also on the PCORremove the inaccessible account from my PC, whilst keeping all data and...
  8. Converting inaccessible account to local/other MS account?

Converting inaccessible account to local/other MS account?: So basically I can't access my microsoft account that my PC profile is linked to, and I cannot recover it, so how do I transfer all data to another microsoft account that is currently also on the PCORremove the inaccessible account from my PC, whilst keeping all data and...
  9. Local account converted to Microsoft account

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Local account converted to Microsoft account: I just signed up for office 365 family. the PC was set up with a local account which I used to sign on. Say user name is guest and password is ######. I opened I opened office.com sign in and started using office apps. Now my local logon is attached to my Microsoft...
  10. Effect of Signing into MS Account to get Apps if using local account?

Effect of Signing into MS Account to get Apps if using local account?: I run my W10 computer using a local account. I want to avoid using a MS account and don't have one set up one the computer at this time. My local account is the only account. That being said, I was interested in installing a couple of apps from the app store. However, it...