Windows 10: Sign In fail defaults to Windows Desktop

Discus and support Sign In fail defaults to Windows Desktop in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security to solve the problem; Hello, after a graphics driver package fail my Windows 10 Pro desktop display screen Blacked Out and nothing could bring my desktop environment back. I... Discussion in 'AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security' started by user_mac01, Jan 16, 2020.

1. Sign In fail defaults to Windows Desktop

Hello, after a graphics driver package fail my Windows 10 Pro desktop display screen Blacked Out and nothing could bring my desktop environment back. I was forced to power off because the pc case Reset button did not have any effect at this juncture. Next at Power On bios POST did not see the C: drive, launch only resulted in a black screen with blinking cursor.

CTL+ALT+DEL into BIOS next only to find my C: drive was not present.

When I work around CMOS remove cmos battery then replace, I booted back into BIOS and Loaded Optimized Defaults, the C: SSD Drive re-appears in POST so again back in BIOS I reset Device Boot Priority and F10 > Yes to that.

At Welcome Screen the Sign-In has a Pin Request whereas I have not specified that Sign-In option in Personalization. I get about 4 digits into the sign in box when windows jumps to the Desktop ..without the Carriage Return even being touched. Next launch or so Windows Welcome suggests I have entered an incorrect PIN several times and Sign In sets a Password Challenge which does the same thing, it rockets into Windows Desktop when I haven't actually completed Sign-In. I notice also there is now a Sign In Options button below the password box. Only the Microsoft Account password actually responds to the password box Carriage Return. I find this a rather large backdoor.

:)

user_mac01, Jan 16, 2020

2. fail to sign in Microsoft account to connect windows 10 instead of local account

Hi,

Thank you for your interest in Windows 10.

I suggest you to refer to follow the steps below and check if that helps:

Step 1: Try Disconnecting from the Internet

• If there is a Wi-Fi icon on the sign-in screen, click it and go to Airplane mode.

• If there is a wired connection, disconnect the wire.

Step 2

Try to sign-in on another device (phone or PC) via the account.microsoft.com page.

If the sign-in is unsuccessful, then try to reset the password and check.

If sign-in is successful there, don’t try resetting/changing the password, try using the On-Screen Keyboard to sign in on the PC.

If that fails, make sure the PC is connected to the Internet (the connection icon should be visible in the lower right).

Hope this information is helpful. Please do let us know if you need further assistance, we’ll be glad to assist you.

Giridhar J, Jan 16, 2020
  3. How to change default desktop color

Hi,

As per the description, I understand that you would like to change the default desktop color.

You may follow the steps given below and check.

• Click on the start button.

• Click on settings.

• Click on personalization.

• Select color.

• Choose a color for your desktop.

I would suggest you to refer to the Microsoft Help Article given below and check if that helps.

Get Started with Windows 10.

Hope this information helps. Please let us know if you need any other assistance with Windows in future. We will be happy to assist you.

Mayank Gupta10, Jan 16, 2020
  4. kormath Win User

Sign In fail defaults to Windows Desktop

Lost default photo viewer after profile rebuild

Thanks Brink. I've tried those steps before i started searching Google. After the profile rebuild i don't have the Photo app listed to choose to make it default in either the system settings for default apps or the Open With option.

I can't even find it doing a search. Seems to have been removed somehow with the profile rebuild, which doesn't make sense.

Might be helpful to list what i've done Sign In fail defaults to Windows Desktop :) I've done the open with check, the choose default program in the system menu, tried that in device manager default programs also. I've checked the programs and features Turn windows features on/off and it's not listed there (never thought it was but that was a suggestion), searched the MS Store, it's not listed there either.

I don't like playing in the registry unless i have defined steps and haven't found anything for this yet, just the Win7 version like in my OP.

kormath, Jan 16, 2020
Thema:

Sign In fail defaults to Windows Desktop

1. Sign In fail defaults to Windows Desktop - Similar Threads - Sign fail defaults

2. Windows 11 sign in failed

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 11 sign in failed: The sign in option is disabled because of failed sign in attempts. It says use different sign in options. I kept it plugged in for more than 2 hrs but still I am unable to log in after entering the password and there no other sign in options. What to do?...
  3. Windows 11 sign in failed

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows 11 sign in failed: The sign in option is disabled because of failed sign in attempts. It says use different sign in options. I kept it plugged in for more than 2 hrs but still I am unable to log in after entering the password and there no other sign in options. What to do?...
  4. Set password as default sign-in

Set password as default sign-in: Hi,I'm looking for a way to set password, not PIN, as default sign-in method. PCs are Azure AD connected.If not by configuration policies then maybe by powershell?Thanks!-Eivind...
  5. Windows 10 Desktop Defaults

in Windows 10 Customization
    Windows 10 Desktop Defaults: Why did my desktop move to my external hard drive and how to I get it back to C drive and keep C as default on my Dell Inspiron 15? I have Windows 10 Pro if that matters....
  6. WINDOWS failing to sign in

in Windows Hello & Lockscreen
    WINDOWS failing to sign in: hey, I was downloading then my screen went blank for an hour then I turned off my device.. I turned in on again.... then when I put my password it says incorrect.. it's been 2 days now.. it doesn't even gives me an option to sign in with my Microsoft account .. plz help...
  7. Desktop sign in

in Windows Hello & Lockscreen
    Desktop sign in: Hello need help with my password sign in https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/desktop-sign-in/f2844796-1d1b-4a49-96be-9945ad6b6115
  8. Fail to sign in

Fail to sign in: after I came to the AUS this year, I found that I can not sign in my onedrive account though my laptop, what is happening? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/fail-to-sign-in/aff3251f-d6ba-46c1-a199-3b46b770bf4e
  9. Sign in options defaults

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    Sign in options defaults: On my 1703 build machine I have "Ctrl+Alt+Del" enabled at the logon screen. When the machine boots up I hit "Ctrl+Alt+Del" and I can see "Other User" where I can (by default) enter my username and password. Since I don't use my password to login (I use Hello) I always have...
  10. Defaults fail to save

Defaults fail to save: Had this issue now since the 1511 update, when i set my image viewer to windows photo viewer it was reverting back to the win 10 photo app, i removed the app, i even installed photo gallery as it has the same functionality as PV it now asks what software do i want to use to...