Windows 10: Sign-in screen not appearing when restarting computer, only when coming out of sleep mode

Discus and support Sign-in screen not appearing when restarting computer, only when coming out of sleep mode in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance to solve the problem; I've just configured a new computer to have two users. When the computer comes out of sleep mode, the following sign-in screen is displayed, displaying... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance' started by Dave Rado, Feb 26, 2023.

1. Dave Rado Win User

Sign-in screen not appearing when restarting computer, only when coming out of sleep mode

I've just configured a new computer to have two users. When the computer comes out of sleep mode, the following sign-in screen is displayed, displaying both users and defaulting to the one who was last logged in: However, if I restart the computer or switch it off and on again, the sign-in screen doesn't appear - it just logs in to the last used account automatically.The users are not password protected. I don't want them to be, but I would like the above sign-in screen to be displayed when the computer is restarted or switched off and on. Is that possible?I've disabled the lock screen becau

:)

Dave Rado, Feb 26, 2023
  2. jimhoyle Win User

How to troubleshoot an error that appears only at Restart or Sign out?

I get an error pop-up error message not every, but almost every time I Restart or Sign out. It's the screen with blue background and on top of Restart or Sign out text an error window says:

Explorer.exe - Application error. The instruction at 0x000… referenced memory at 0x000... The memory could not be written.

Sometimes the error code is just zeros, sometimes random numbers. I have tried so much already to troubleshoot this. For example these did not help in any way:
    • MemTest86+ (no problems)
    • Disabling any Services, Autoruns/ShellExView entries
    • Low resolution mode
    • BIOS settings are fine, no overclocking etc.
    • DISM.exe and sfc
    • etc.

However, these do make the error go away:
    • End process for explorer.exe before Restart or Sign out
    • Safe Mode
    • Creating a new user profile (almost the same as clean installing Windows, many full days of work)
    • Uninstalling NVIDIA graphics driver (then the card is unusable, of course)
    • Disabling Device Manager / Display Adapters / NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080

I already contacted NVIDIA and the graphics driver is not the culprit. Something has gone wrong with the user profile as the same driver works just fine in a new profile (and there's nothing wrong with the driver anyway, it's just the Restart or Sign out process that has a problem).

What can I do to fix this? One useful thing would be to have a step-by-step procedure for the Sign out. So that it'd ask before continuing to the next step and list what it's doing. Or if I could just disable whatever it does when the error appears.

jimhoyle, Feb 26, 2023
  3. Logon screen keeps on appearing after waking up the computer from sleep - Windows 10

Hi,

This is actually the first thing we tried. The computer comes up with a message saying:

"Authentication is required when this PC wakes from sleep. To change this go to setttings and search for Power and Sleep."

The dropdown box underneath is greyed out, and inactive.

Going to Power and Sleep leads to your first suggestion, which is a dead end.

Regards, Stewart

StewartPeppiatt, Feb 26, 2023
  4. Andy123 Win User

Sign-in screen not appearing when restarting computer, only when coming out of sleep mode

No Sign-in Window After Sleep Mode

Since the Microsoft update on 14th Jan, when my PC comes out of sleep mode the sign-in window doesn't appear unless I press ctrl+alt+del first. In Google there are a lot of questions about this same problem going as far back 2015, has anyone found a solution that actually works and doesn't involve having to re-install everything. My sleep mode has been working fine for a year now so I'm not sure what's suddenly been changed.

One suggestion is to go into the power options control panel and switch off all the power save options like sleep mode, but that then means leaving the PC on 24/7.

Andy123, Feb 26, 2023
Thema:

1. Sign-in screen not appearing when restarting computer, only when coming out of sleep mode - Similar Threads - Sign screen appearing

2. Sign-in screen not appearing when restarting computer, only when coming out of sleep mode

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Sign-in screen not appearing when restarting computer, only when coming out of sleep mode: I've just configured a new computer to have two users. When the computer comes out of sleep mode, the following sign-in screen is displayed, displaying both users and defaulting to the one who was last logged in: However, if I restart the computer or switch it off and on...
  3. Sign-in screen not appearing when restarting computer, only when coming out of sleep mode

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Sign-in screen not appearing when restarting computer, only when coming out of sleep mode: I've just configured a new computer to have two users. When the computer comes out of sleep mode, the following sign-in screen is displayed, displaying both users and defaulting to the one who was last logged in: However, if I restart the computer or switch it off and on...
  4. My on-screen Windows are "scrunched" when coming out of sleep mode, but only when using...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    My on-screen Windows are "scrunched" when coming out of sleep mode, but only when using...: When my Windows machine comes out of display sleep mode, all my windows have resized themselves to be shorter and wider than how I left them.ASUS 28" 4K Monitor in 1920x1080 mode VIA Windows w/Nvdia GTX GeForce 970.https://imgur.com/0iUrNGlIt only does this when using...
  5. My on-screen Windows are "scrunched" when coming out of sleep mode, but only when using...

My on-screen Windows are "scrunched" when coming out of sleep mode, but only when using...: When my Windows machine comes out of display sleep mode, all my windows have resized themselves to be shorter and wider than how I left them.ASUS 28" 4K Monitor in 1920x1080 mode VIA Windows w/Nvdia GTX GeForce 970.https://imgur.com/0iUrNGlIt only does this when using...
  6. My on-screen Windows are "scrunched" when coming out of sleep mode, but only when using...

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
  7. Laptop computer will restart when is comes out of sleep mode on occasion. Windows 10.

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Laptop computer will restart when is comes out of sleep mode on occasion. Windows 10.: Laptop computer will restart when is comes out of sleep mode on occasion. Windows 10. I found on a Lenovo forum from a very smart user an answer for me. This however was re my Legion 15 Lenovo Ryzen laptop. New drivers and new graphic drivers did nothing. Win 10 updates and...
  8. Blue screen appears for a split second when coming out of sleep mode and during start up

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Blue screen appears for a split second when coming out of sleep mode and during start up: Blue screen is flasing for about a second or two during start up and during waking up screen after sleep. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/blue-screen-appears-for-a-split-second-when-coming/1f8a9ef0-4dd6-44ba-8f87-95a0c5b01d20
  9. Automatic Reboot When COming Out of Sleep Mode

Automatic Reboot When COming Out of Sleep Mode: In the past couple weeks, my PC had started rebooting itself whenever it comes out of sleep mode. Before, it resumed wherever you were when it went to sleep. Now, it automatically reboots and takes you though the 5 minutes start up process before you can enter your PIN....
  10. No Display When System Comes Out of Sleep Mode

in Windows 10 Support
    No Display When System Comes Out of Sleep Mode: I have 3 monitors connected to dual NVIDIA GeForce GT640 video cards. The MB is ASRock Z77 Professional-M with Intel i3-3220 @3.3ghz Windows 10 Professional 64. When I manually put the system to sleep and come back later in the day and tap the spacebar to start the...