Windows 10: Sign in still reads "user" even when I'm signed in

Discus and support Sign in still reads "user" even when I'm signed in in Windows Hello & Lockscreen to solve the problem; Hi Guys,I'm signed in to Microsoft Account but the display name still reads "user".Please assist.... Discussion in 'Windows Hello & Lockscreen' started by DicksonMutuma, Sep 15, 2021.

1. Sign in still reads "user" even when I'm signed in

Hi Guys,I'm signed in to Microsoft Account but the display name still reads "user".Please assist.

:)

DicksonMutuma, Sep 15, 2021

2. password sign in

Hi,

About your concern with typing the password after being idle, it is actually recommended to activate for security reasons.

If you wish to disable it, I suggest you to follow the below steps and check if it helps.

• Go to Settings.
    • Click on Accounts.
    • Click on Sign in options.
    • On the right side, you will see required sign in.
    • Change it to Never.

Let us know how it goes.

PreciousLeb, Sep 15, 2021
  3. jimhoyle Win User
    How to troubleshoot an error that appears only at Restart or Sign out?

I get an error pop-up error message not every, but almost every time I Restart or Sign out. It's the screen with blue background and on top of Restart or Sign out text an error window says:

Explorer.exe - Application error. The instruction at 0x000… referenced memory at 0x000... The memory could not be written.

Sometimes the error code is just zeros, sometimes random numbers. I have tried so much already to troubleshoot this. For example these did not help in any way:
    • MemTest86+ (no problems)
    • Disabling any Services, Autoruns/ShellExView entries
    • Low resolution mode
    • BIOS settings are fine, no overclocking etc.
    • DISM.exe and sfc
    • etc.

However, these do make the error go away:
    • End process for explorer.exe before Restart or Sign out
    • Safe Mode
    • Creating a new user profile (almost the same as clean installing Windows, many full days of work)
    • Uninstalling NVIDIA graphics driver (then the card is unusable, of course)
    • Disabling Device Manager / Display Adapters / NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080

I already contacted NVIDIA and the graphics driver is not the culprit. Something has gone wrong with the user profile as the same driver works just fine in a new profile (and there's nothing wrong with the driver anyway, it's just the Restart or Sign out process that has a problem).

What can I do to fix this? One useful thing would be to have a step-by-step procedure for the Sign out. So that it'd ask before continuing to the next step and list what it's doing. Or if I could just disable whatever it does when the error appears.

jimhoyle, Sep 15, 2021
  4. 24C
    24c Win User

Sign in still reads "user" even when I'm signed in

Sign in without p/w issue

Did a clean install of Windows 10 and updated it to the version shown.
    Trying to eliminate the need for p/w at sign in, I ran netplwiz as I have always done.

Top USER ACCOUNTS is from the Install I've been upgrading for a long time
    Bottom USER ACCOUNTS is from today's clean install on another machine

There is no:
    "Users must enter a user name and password to use this computer" to uncheck
    in the clean install
    I have never seen this before and can't by pass the sign in p/w step

Any suggestions greatly appreciated

Sign in still reads "user" even when I'm signed in [​IMG]

Thema:

Sign in still reads "user" even when I'm signed in

1. Sign in still reads "user" even when I'm signed in - Similar Threads - Sign still reads

2. I keep getting "Sign In To Comment" box even though I'm already signed in.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    I keep getting "Sign In To Comment" box even though I'm already signed in.: I keep getting the "Sign In To Comment Box" even though I already signed in. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/i-keep-getting-sign-in-to-comment-box-even-though/12fc82b7-b5a8-4e4c-9b0e-b329e1765d84
  3. I keep getting "Sign In To Comment" box even though I'm already signed in.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    I keep getting "Sign In To Comment" box even though I'm already signed in.: I keep getting the "Sign In To Comment Box" even though I already signed in. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/i-keep-getting-sign-in-to-comment-box-even-though/12fc82b7-b5a8-4e4c-9b0e-b329e1765d84
  4. Does On Start Programs works even after user sign out -sign in

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Does On Start Programs works even after user sign out -sign in: Hi, I have recently noticed that after I sign out from my user account, the programs that were in start up, fails to start. Could you please suggest me with any solution?...
  5. User sign out/sign in

in Windows 10 Gaming
    User sign out/sign in: Do i need to sign out every time from one user to another? What if i keep both of them signed in? I need to sign out,only if the computer is running slow because both of em are using ram?...
  6. User sign out/sign in

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    User sign out/sign in: Do i need to sign out every time from one user to another? What if i keep both of them signed in? I need to sign out,only if the computer is running slow because both of em are using ram?...
  7. User Signing In

in Windows 10 Customization
    User Signing In: Hello House, Please what is the resolution to this following message that pop up at start up Any assistance will be highly appreciated. Regards. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/user-signing-in/8cefb4ed-f035-4dfe-91d9-250e3207ab9b
  8. Help Sign in screen still there even when set to never require sign in

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    Help Sign in screen still there even when set to never require sign in: Hi Yesterday I've used a wizard to join a domain or workgroup (This PC-Right Click Propeties-Change Settings-Computer Name-Network ID) thinking that was the only way to read my computer ID (I was wrong). The problem is: Now every time that I turn on my PC the sign in screen...
  9. Help Sign in screen still there even when set to never require sign in

in Windows 10 Support
    Help Sign in screen still there even when set to never require sign in: Hi Yesterday I've used a wizard to join a domain or workgroup (This PC-Right Click Propeties-Change Settings-Computer Name-Network ID) thinking that was the only way to read my computer ID (I was wrong). The problem is: Now every time that I turn on my PC the sign in screen...
  10. Deleted User Still on Sign-on Page

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    Deleted User Still on Sign-on Page: I'm cleaning a laptop for re-sale. 1. Added a new user called Admin_ID (with admin privilege) 2. Deleted my OLD_ID (which had admin privilege) - chose the "delete all files" option 3. Deleted remnants in C:\USERS\OLD_ID 4. Re-booted When I get to the sign-on screen, it...