Windows 10: Significance of disk number when installing Win 10

Discus and support Significance of disk number when installing Win 10 in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Hi, I noticed the AU and the CU (not the FCU!) reversed the disk numbers assigned to my two disks at the stage when deleting existing partitions before... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by dalchina, Oct 22, 2017.

1. dalchina New Member

Significance of disk number when installing Win 10

Hi, I noticed the AU and the CU (not the FCU!) reversed the disk numbers assigned to my two disks at the stage when deleting existing partitions before installing Windows.

I'd appreciate any thoughts on the significance of this, or why it might have occurred given the problem I encountered after upgrading to the CU (below).

I have two disks, a SSD for my system disk, and a SSHD (see my specs).

The AU designated these as Disk 0, Disk 1 respectively.
    The CU designated these as Disk 1, Disk 0 respectively.

Clean installing the AU works, and booting to Safe Mode from SHIFT left click Restart was fine.
    Clean installing the CU works for normal boot, but booting to Safe Mode from SHIFT left click Restart failed with 0xc0000454 The Boot Configuration Data for your PC is missing or contains errors.

I also noted that when the PC restarted during its installation, there were two short lines of text shown very briefly on a black screen indicating a boot source hadn't been found (I couldn't get the exact text). That did not occur when installing the AU.

I suspect this difference in disk numbers may be related to my experience of upgrading from the AU to the CU, after which we were unable to resolve the problem of failing to boot to Advanced Startup options.

Whilst I have resolved that (by roundabout and unexpected means) I am concerned this may occur with future upgrades. Of course, I could take the back off the laptop and disconnect the second disk....

Thanks

:)

dalchina, Oct 22, 2017

2. this needs to be signficatnly updated

'Type Disk Cleanup in Start Search'

you always start the first step, not the 2nd or 3rd, like

1. hit 'win + s'

2. type 'disk cleanup'

for anyone new or unfamiliar with any of this, nobody is going to know what 'disk cleanup' is

when you introduce things, you never ever ever introduce things in an unfamiliar way to all the other users/ppl that do not know anything

-

i dont know if this 'disk cleanup' has any significant effect/impact for the majority of cases and common uses

or if there's any significant evidence backing/supporting this claim of doing this

but i have 2.33mb so i decided not to run it

not sure if this would increases performance by 125%

we need number and data to know if something is actually effective or not -- and how effective something is

we need data

macos best, Oct 22, 2017
  3. Windows 10 compatibiity

Thanks for this.

Sony exited from the PC business the year before Win 10 was released. They maintain that running Win 10 might work "but will start to give problems", but could not elaborate.

In gross terms (CPU, memory, disk, etc), my VAIO meets the spec described at the link you sent me. However, there appears to be a significant amount of software installed by Sony. I was assuming that there might be some compatibility issues there.

Ronald McLaren, Oct 22, 2017
  4. Tony K Win User

Kari is doing much with PowerShell. He's about to release a tutorial about prepping a system for install with script. That may be helpful to you.

Tony K, Oct 22, 2017
  5. CountMike New Member
    My M.2 SSD was pushed to 4th place ever since it's installation but rest of disks are in the order in BIOS depending on which SATA port are plugged in.

Significance of disk number when installing Win 10 [​IMG]

CountMike, Oct 23, 2017
  6. AddRAM Win User
    Ya my Samsang M.2 kept doing that, I hate that *Mad

I guess it`s just not seen like other ssd`s

AddRAM, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Significance of disk number when installing Win 10 - Similar Threads - Significance disk number

2. Disk check when booting to win 10

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Disk check when booting to win 10: This computer problem never ends! Now when booting to win 10 (selecting it from the bios as my boot disk), it does a disk check. Any reason why it would suddenly start doing this? 171301
  3. disk number problem

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    disk number problem: hi I use win10 and I have 1ssdwin10 and 5 hard disks. and I use each hard for something. for example I use hard lettered "D" for my iTunes and back ups and downloads and … but whene I disconnect on other hard disk, windows change the letter "D" to "F" or something else. PLZ...
  4. Serial number win 10

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Serial number win 10: So basically my serial number it is not working at all why that? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/serial-number-win-10/0489926b-62e5-4240-9bab-0b60bb43db18
  5. Disk Controller Error on installing Win 10 on SSD

Disk Controller Error on installing Win 10 on SSD: I have been trying to install windows on my new SSD Crucial BX500 240GB. Its giving an error saying - : Windows cannot be installed on this disk.This computer's hardware may not support booting to this disk .Ensure that disk controller is enabled in the computer's BIOS menu....
  6. Change disk numbering

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Change disk numbering: Hello. I recently built a new PC, and i first booted from a 3.5" HDD from my old PC to recover some data off it, before booting from my new M.2 ssd 1tb, and installing a new copy of windows 10 on it. But now, i have my old hdd connected inside the case as well for backups...
  7. Change Disk Numbers

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Change Disk Numbers: I have recently moved my new 6 Gb/s operating system drive from a 3 Gb/s SATA controller to a 6 Gb/s SATA controller. The only problem is that the disk number changes. For example, instead of my operating system drive being Disk 0, it is now Disk 2, and instead of being at...
  8. TeamViewer confirms number of hacked user accounts is “significant

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    TeamViewer confirms number of hacked user accounts is “significant: TeamViewer confirms number of hacked user accounts is “significant Investigation continues to show external password breaches are cause, spokesman says. [img] It was a tough week for TeamViewer, a service that allows computer professionals and consumers to log...
  9. Window 10 boot time is significantly slower than Win 8.1?

in Windows 10 Support
    Window 10 boot time is significantly slower than Win 8.1?: Hello Everyone! So the computer that I am using is Dell Inspiron 13 2 in 1, and the following are my details Processor 5th Generation Intel® Core™ i7-5500U Processor (4M Cache, up to 3.00 GHz) OS Win 10 64bit Memory 8GB Single Channel DDR3L 1600MHz (8GBx1) Hard...
  10. WIn 10 Creator version number

WIn 10 Creator version number: What is the real version number for Win 10 Creator? Is it 15063 or 1703? I know I got the Creator update because it said so after the update ran which took an hour. But my sister's PC I may have to force the upgrade and the Win Upgrade Assistant refers to 15063. So I'm...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. significance of disk #0 and disk #1

2. 0xc0000454