Windows 10: Signing in with fingerprint stopped working on Windows 10

Discus and support Signing in with fingerprint stopped working on Windows 10 in Windows Hello & Lockscreen to solve the problem; Hello, I have a Lenovo Yoga 920. Fingerprint was working nicely as expected for about a month now..I do have other sign in options set up in case... Discussion in 'Windows Hello & Lockscreen' started by Janice23a, Oct 7, 2019.

1. Janice23a Win User

Signing in with fingerprint stopped working on Windows 10

Hello,

I have a Lenovo Yoga 920.

Fingerprint was working nicely as expected for about a month now..I do have other sign in options set up in case (such a pin and Microsoft login previously as well.. But now the fingerprint sign in stopped working.

Under Settings > Sign-in options

There I see on top in red "Security policies on this PC are preventing dome options from being shown."

I've tried the following but none of them worked for me:

1. Run Built-in & Guided Walk through Windows Update troubleshooter Built-in : Type troubleshoot in Windows Start Search box > Click Troubleshoot > Click Windows update > Troubleshoot Guided Walk though - https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/10164/...

2 Use the Hardware & Devices Troubleshooter Type Troubleshoot in Windows Start Search box > Click Troubleshoot > Scroll down & Click Hardware & Devices > Click Run the Troubleshooter & follow on-screen directions > Restart the computer after troubleshooting is completed

3. Actions Related to Finger print reader Windows Key+X > Device Manager > Expand Biometric Devices > Right Click on the entry below > Properties > Driver Tab >

A. Roll Back - If Roll back driver is enabled, roll it back

B. Uninstall - Uninstall Device and restart to reinstall it automatically

C. Update - Download the driver from computer manufacturer's website and reinstall

:)

Janice23a, Oct 7, 2019
  2. _RobS_ Win User

I bought a new Lenovo Yoga 920 Glass and went through some regular setup and configurations.

Fingerprint was working nicely as expected.

Next day I installed a couple of simple programs like browser and then a big Windows update was needed.

I was then prompted with the need to set up Windows Hello and a PIN.

Somewhere along this, the fingerprint sign in stopped working.

Many articles refer to Settings > Sign-in options

But there I see on top in red "Windows Hello is preventing some options from being shown".

And under the Windows Hello it says "Windows Hello isn't available on this device".

Why is Hello not available and why has it disabled the fingerprint reader?

So now my sign in options are either the regular password or a PIN.

I wanted fingerprint for 2 reason... easier to log in but also more secure.

Looks like Windows decided the PIN was more secure than the fingerprint!

I am using a Microsoft account.

How do I get the fingerprint sign in option to work again?

_RobS_, Oct 7, 2019
  3. fingerprint sign in isnt working or letting me set up

Hello Samantha,

Driver incompatibility is one of the possible reasons why fingerprint sign-in isn't working on your computer. For us to further isolate and assist you better with this, kindly follow the steps below:

Step 1: Roll back drivers / use default drivers

• Open Device Manager by right-clicking the Start button and choosing Device Manager from the list.
    • Locate your fingerprint driver and double click it to open its properties.
    • Click the Roll Back Driver button.
    This will install the previously installed driver instead of the one you’re currently using.

To go back to the default drivers do the following:

• Open Device Manager.
    • Find your fingerprint scanner driver.
    • Right-click it and choose Uninstall device.
    • Check Delete the driver software for this device and click
      Uninstall

Step 2: Update your drivers

It's often better to use the latest driver optimized for Windows 10, so make sure that you visit your fingerprint scanner manufacturer and check for latest Windows 10 drivers.

We also suggest visiting the article below to know more details about it.

Update drivers in Windows 10

Feel free to update us with the results.

Michelle Vil, Oct 7, 2019
  4. Signing in with fingerprint stopped working on Windows 10

fingerprint swipe quit working.

Hi,

Thank you for your interest in Windows 10.

I suggest you to follow the methods below and check if it fixes the issue.

Method 1: Run Hardware and Devices Troubleshooter

Follow these steps to run Hardware and Devices troubleshooter:

• Press Windows key + W and type troubleshooting.
    • Select Troubleshooting.
    • Select View all on the top left corner.
    • Click Hardware and Devices.
    • Follow the on-screen instruction to run the troubleshooter.
    Method 2: Uninstall and reinstall the driver

I suggest you to try uninstall the fingerprint
    drivers check if it works for you.

Follow the steps to uninstall the Fingerprint
    drivers:

• Press Windows Key + X key and click Device Manager.
    • Right-click on the Fingerprint device listed and click on ‘Uninstall’.
    • Select the option to Delete driver software.
    • Restart the computer after its uninstalled.
    Try to access the device manufacturer's website and download and install the latest chipset and Fingerprint
    drivers.

Method 3

If issue still persists, I suggest you to uninstall and reinstall the Fingerprint
    drivers in Compatibility mode and check if it works:

Follow the steps to uninstall the Fingerprint
    driver:

• Press Windows Key + X key.
    • Click on Device Manager.
    • Right-click on the Fingerprint device listed and click on ‘Uninstall’.
    • Select the option to Delete driver software.
    • Restart the computer after its uninstalled.
    Now download the drivers the manufacturer website and install it in Windows 8.1 compatibility mode. Follow the steps provided below to install the drivers in compatibility mode:

• Right-click on the driver setup file and click on ‘properties’.
    • Click on the ‘compatibility’ tab and check the box "Run this program in compatibility mode for” and select Windows 8.1 operating system from the drop down.
    • Click on ‘Apply’ and click ‘OK’ and run the file to install it.
    Hope this will fix the issue, if not let us know with the updated status and we will be happy to assist you further.

Mann_Manohar, Oct 7, 2019
Thema:

1. Signing in with fingerprint stopped working on Windows 10 - Similar Threads - Signing fingerprint stopped

2. Fingerprint Sign-In not working

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Fingerprint Sign-In not working: So I have an Aspire A515-56, and recently the fingerprint sign-in decided to stop working, so I googled how to fix it and saw that I had to uninstall the drivers and reinstall it from a thing on the Acer support website. Well that hasn't worked, and know I'm wondering what to...
  3. thinkpad windows 10 fingerprint sign in stopped working

in Windows Hello & Lockscreen
    thinkpad windows 10 fingerprint sign in stopped working: the fingerprint sign in randomly stopped working on my lenovo thinkpad windows 10. everything is updated and i've tried following steps on all forums, including uninstalling the fingerprint login.. now i cant get that back. any help?...
  4. thinkpad windows 10 fingerprint sign in stopped working

in Windows 10 Gaming
    thinkpad windows 10 fingerprint sign in stopped working: the fingerprint sign in randomly stopped working on my lenovo thinkpad windows 10. everything is updated and i've tried following steps on all forums, including uninstalling the fingerprint login.. now i cant get that back. any help?...
  5. thinkpad windows 10 fingerprint sign in stopped working

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  6. Fingerprint sign-in not working

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Fingerprint sign-in not working: Hi,Recently, I bought a Dell Inspiron 5502 and I am currently setting it up. At the beginning of setting it up I thought I had set up the feature to allow me to access the computer through the fingerprint sign-in feature. The device seemed to record my fingerprint, but when I...
  7. Fingerprint sign in not working

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Fingerprint sign in not working: When I try to sign in, I start with Ctrl-alt-del, then scan fingerprint. Then, I get "Your PIN is required to sign in" That happens both when I am logged off and signing in and when account is locked and signing in. Under my username, the field is Password, in gray, despite...
  8. Fingerprint sign in stopped working

Fingerprint sign in stopped working: The fingerprint sign in stopped working this week. Shows "we couldn't find a fingerprint scanner compatible with Windows Hello Fingerprint. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/fingerprint-sign-in-stopped-working/9ce2788f-d407-4747-ba17-5a45aee0dc7b
  9. Fingerprint sign in not working on windows 10

Fingerprint sign in not working on windows 10: I have a HP x360 laptop compatible with fingerprint sign in. It was working fine for an year but today it stopped working. I tried to stop and start again the biometric service but, the service is now at a status: stopping for the past 1 hour. Now I can't click on either...
  10. Fingerprint Sign-in Not Working

Fingerprint Sign-in Not Working: Hello! Yesterday my HP laptop all of a sudden froze on a screen that I was working on and after about 5 minutes gave me a blue screen that said something like "windows has encountered a problem and is gathering info and will restart soon : " My laptop restarted but since...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. fingerprint sign in stopped working

2. fingerprint not working lenovo yoga

3. asus fingerprint sign in not working

4. why asus stopped taking my fingerprint,
  5. yoga laptop fingerprint not working,
  6. fingerprint method of signing in to work,
  7. fingerprint scanner stopped working after fresh installation,
  8. why has my hp fingerptint recognition stopped 2020,
  9. cant use fingerprint login after windows update 2020,
  10. fingerprint sign in asus not working,
  11. my fingerprint and pin stopped working on windows 10 computer,