Windows 10: SIHOST buffer overrun error

Discus and support SIHOST buffer overrun error in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging to solve the problem; I am encountering the following popup error message when I try to restart my system in Safe Mode: Sihost.exe – System error – The system detected an... Discussion in 'Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging' started by Beevreeter, Jul 11, 2018.

1. SIHOST buffer overrun error

I am encountering the following popup error message when I try to restart my system in Safe Mode:

Sihost.exe – System error – The system detected an overrun of a stack based buffer in this application. This overrun could potentially allow a malicious user to gain control of the application.

This happens as I press the '4' option from the Restart Menu options screen.

There is a 'Close' button on the message popup screen which does not work - the message is simply regenerated.

After a few tries at closing the message the system does go into Safe Mode.

Apart from this, I have experienced no problems running in normal mode, but my Antivirus software (ESET NOD32) is unable to run properly. I am concerned that there may be a compromise somewhere in the system.

I have run SFC without any issues - Also DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /ScanHealth and Windows Malicious Software Removal Tool. All report no problems.

Can you advise next steps?

:)

Beevreeter, Jul 11, 2018
  2. Sk1818 Win User

Buffer Overrun Detected

I updated my computer from Windows 7 to Windows 10. Before I did I did a backup of files.

Now when I go to restore the files I get the following error:

Buffer Overrun Detected!

Program: ....ckward\TouchSmart\Media\Kernel\CLML\CLMLSvc.exe

A buffer overrun has been detected which has corrupted this program's internal state. The program cannot safely continue execution and must now be terminated.

What is wrong? What do I do? I really need files of my backup which is on a Seagate backup drive.

Thanks.

Sk1818, Jul 11, 2018
  3. Mussels Win User
    what the hell is this? buffer overrun?

buffer overruns are fairly common with a virus attack. i'd check that.

Mussels, Jul 11, 2018
  4. SIHOST buffer overrun error

Getting the Driver Overrun Stack Buffer BSOD Error while installing Display driver in windows 10

Hi Ashok,

Thank you for posting on Microsoft Community. I understand the inconvenience you are facing. I will certainly help you with this.

BSOD Error DRIVER_OVERRAN_STACK_BUFFER indicates that a driver has overrun a stack-based buffer.

This is the classic "buffer overrun" hacking attack. The system has been brought down to prevent a malicious user from gaining complete control of it.

I suggest you to disconnect all the external devices apart from keyboard and mouse if connected to the laptop and perform check disk.

Check Disk is a utility in Windows that verifies the file system integrity of a volume and fixes logical file system errors.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/2854570

Note: The troubleshooting steps for Windows 10 are same as Windows 8/8.1.

Also, I suggest you to refer the below link and check if this helps.

Bug Check 0xF7 DRIVER_OVERRAN_STACK_BUFFER

Kindly let us know if you need any further assistance with Windows. We are glad to assist you.

Thank you.

ThofikhAhamad, Jul 11, 2018
Thema:

SIHOST buffer overrun error

1. SIHOST buffer overrun error - Similar Threads - SIHOST buffer overrun

2. SystemSettings.exe - System Error Overrun/Stack-Based Buffer

in Windows 10 Gaming
    SystemSettings.exe - System Error Overrun/Stack-Based Buffer: I just updated my laptop to the latest Windows 10 build.When I opened settings to check something and clicked on Network & Internet, I got this error that crashes settings after I close it.SystemSettings.exe - System ErrorCRITICAL ERRORThe system detected an overrun of...
  3. SystemSettings.exe - System Error Overrun/Stack-Based Buffer

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    SystemSettings.exe - System Error Overrun/Stack-Based Buffer: I just updated my laptop to the latest Windows 10 build.When I opened settings to check something and clicked on Network & Internet, I got this error that crashes settings after I close it.SystemSettings.exe - System ErrorCRITICAL ERRORThe system detected an overrun of...
  4. SystemSettings.exe - System Error Overrun/Stack-Based Buffer

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
  5. The system detected an overrun of a stack-based buffer in this application, This overrun...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    The system detected an overrun of a stack-based buffer in this application, This overrun...: It says that when i tried to open open network and internet settings. does anyone know a fix? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/the-system-detected-an-overrun-of-a-stack-based/49da1d7d-763a-4202-a669-8ed39b13d933
  6. The system detected an overrun of a stack-based buffer in this application, This overrun...

The system detected an overrun of a stack-based buffer in this application, This overrun...: It says that when i tried to open open network and internet settings. does anyone know a fix? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/the-system-detected-an-overrun-of-a-stack-based/49da1d7d-763a-4202-a669-8ed39b13d933
  7. SystemSettings.exe - System Error Overrun/Stack-Based Buffer

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    SystemSettings.exe - System Error Overrun/Stack-Based Buffer: I just updated my laptop to the latest Windows 10 build. When I opened settings to check something and clicked on Network & Internet, I got this error that crashes settings after I close it. SystemSettings.exe - System Error CRITICAL ERROR The system detected an...
  8. System Error : An Overrun of a stack-based buffer in Explorer.exe

System Error : An Overrun of a stack-based buffer in Explorer.exe: I'm having an issue in windows when I opened it. The screen is getting black every time and refreshes it. I opened it in safe mode and the error is showing that An Overrun of a stack-based buffer in Explorer.exe. Help me to fix it....
  9. BSOD driver overrun stack buffer

BSOD driver overrun stack buffer: Hi, I just build a new computer with this system information: Naam van besturingssysteem Microsoft Windows 10 Home Versie 10.0.18362 Build 18362 Systeemfabrikant Gigabyte Technology Co., Ltd. Systeemmodel B450 AORUS PRO Systeemtype x64-based PC Systeem-SKU Default...
  10. BSOD driver overrun stack buffer

BSOD driver overrun stack buffer: I am having a BSOD issue and have this info to post from the dump file. Microsoft (R) Windows Debugger Version 10.0.17674.1000 AMD64 Copyright (c) Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved. Loading Dump File [C:\Windows\Minidump\071018-37390-01.dmp] Mini Kernel Dump...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. fortnite detected stacked overbuffer

2. system detected an overrun of stack based

3. Sihost.exe buffer OVERFLOW

4. sihost.exe buffer overrun,
  5. the system detected an overrun,
  6. sihost buffer overrun,
  7. sihost.exe overrun of stack based buffer,
  8. phoneexperiencehost.exe system error,
  9. Systemfehler sihost.exe puffer,
  10. sihost.exe error stack,
  11. sihost stack overrun,
  12. sihost.exe stack based buffer,
  13. saturacion pilas bufer host shell,
  14. the system detected an overrun of a stack-based buffer in this application sihost.exe,
  15. The system detected an overrun of a stack-based buffer in this application. This overrun could potentially allow a malicious user to gain control of this application.