Windows 10: Silent BSOD "SESSION_HAS_VALID_POOL_ON_EXIT" in background

Discus and support Silent BSOD "SESSION_HAS_VALID_POOL_ON_EXIT" in background in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging to solve the problem; I'm at a loss. For a month, I'm occasionally having a silent BSOD that occurs in the background without me noticing anything weird while using, booting... Discussion in 'Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging' started by JohnnyGui, Jun 12, 2019.

1. JohnnyGui Win User

Silent BSOD "SESSION_HAS_VALID_POOL_ON_EXIT" in background

I'm at a loss. For a month, I'm occasionally having a silent BSOD that occurs in the background without me noticing anything weird while using, booting or shutting down my PC. It shows up in the Reliability History as a hardware error for some reason and it has happened 3 times by now at random moments, showing the description LiveKernelEvent with code ab

Nothing is overclocked and I don't recall making any changes to my PC, it's a clean install of Windows Pro 1809 x64. I have tried installing the latest drivers, including Nvidia. Checkdisk and sfc /scannow are not finding any problems. My PC is exactly 1 year old and it's running without any problems otherwise.

Here's part of the dump file description---------

Kernel Bitmap Dump File: Kernel address space is available, User address space may not be available.
    Windows 10 Kernel Version 17763 MP (6 procs) Free x64
    Kernel base = 0xfffff800`8100e000 PsLoadedModuleList = 0xfffff800`814295d0
    Debug session time: Tue Jun 11 18:59:17.721 2019 (UTC - 4:00)
    System Uptime: 3 days 6:59:54.343
    PEB is paged out (Peb.Ldr = 000000a2`3f054018). Type ".hh dbgerr001" for details

BugCheck AB, {3, 250, 0, 5}
    Page 200 not present in the dump file. Type ".hh dbgerr004" for details
    Probably caused by : memory_corruption
    Followup: memory_corruption

SESSION_HAS_VALID_POOL_ON_EXIT (ab)
    Caused by a session driver not freeing its pool allocations prior to a
    session unload. This indicates a bug in win32k.sys, atmfd.dll,
    rdpdd.dll or a video driver.
    Arguments:
    Arg1: 0000000000000003, session ID
    Arg2: 0000000000000250, number of paged pool bytes that are leaking
    Arg3: 0000000000000000, number of nonpaged pool bytes that are leaking
    Arg4: 0000000000000005, total number of paged and nonpaged allocations that are leaking.
    nonpaged allocations are in the upper half of this word,
    paged allocations are in the lower half of this word.
    Debugging Details:
    Use !poolused 8 to dump allocation info for leaked session pooltags.
    DUMP_CLASS: 1
    DUMP_QUALIFIER: 401
    DUMP_TYPE: 1
    DUMP_FILE_ATTRIBUTES: 0x10
    Live Generated Dump
    BUGCHECK_STR: 0xAB_IMhq_Usix
    LEAKED_SESSION_POOL_TAG: IMhq Usix
    DEBUG_FLR_IMAGE_TIMESTAMP: 0
    FAULTING_MODULE: fffffb5a96590000 win32k
    DEFAULT_BUCKET_ID: CODE_CORRUPTION
    PROCESS_NAME: csrss.exe

------------------------------------------------------

The peculiar thing is that I have found 4 users by now who are recently having the exact same problem with the same error description in the dump file. Here are the links:

1. https://www.tenforums.com/bsod-crashes-debugging/132486-silent-random-bsod-occurring-background-html#post1633555
    2. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-performance/blue-screen-after-shut-down/2f1d52b0-6205-4b51-af20-bc1f9876bf8c?messageId=4a63dc91-2000-48fc-b8c8-bedb8fab5bd6&page=1
    3. https://www.tenforums.com/bsod-crashes-debugging/132266-blue-screen-message-after-shut-down.html#post1630048
    4. https://www.dell.com/community/Inspiron-Desktops/Blue-Screen-after-shut-down/td-p/7300662

Specs:
    Windows 1809 Pro 64 build 17763.503
    Gigabyte GTX 1070 Windforce OC
    Z370 HD3 Motherboard
    CPU i5-8600K
    16GB RAM

In 2018 this same error was caused by Cumulative Update KB4088875 containing Spectre and Meltdown securities. I don't know what my cause currently is. Also, can anyone here please check on their Reliability History dialog if they're having the same silent errors?

:)

JohnnyGui, Jun 12, 2019
  2. philc43 Win User

Silent random BSOD occurring in the background

It does not look as if there were any updates in the few days prior to this event other than the usual Windows defender and one or two apps updates from the Store. There was a cumulative update for windows on 4th May that was installed on my system.

I rather suspect this might be a one off event. I have had no further occurrences and in fact the system has been very stable. I will keep an eye on it and if I see it happens again I will report to MS via the feedback system.

Silent BSOD "SESSION_HAS_VALID_POOL_ON_EXIT" in background [​IMG]

philc43, Jun 12, 2019
  3. Background applications

Hi Robert,

We understand that you don't want some apps to run on the background of your computer. What we suggest is to
    control which apps are allowed to run in the background. To see which apps have permission, just follow the below steps:

• Open the Start menu or Start screen and select “Settings.”
    • Click or tap the “Privacy” icon in the Settings.
    • Scroll down to the bottom of the list and select “Background apps.”
    • You’ll see a list of apps that have permission to run in the background with an “On/Off” toggle.
    Just bear in mind that, apps normally run in the background to update their live tiles, download new data, and receive notifications. If you want an app to continue performing these functions, you should allow it to continue running in
    the background.

Feel free to update us with the results.

Michelle Vil, Jun 12, 2019
  4. JohnnyGui Win User

Silent random BSOD occurring in the background

No, never did.

I do recall the power plug falling out of the socket making the PC shut down unexpectedly while being on the Windows Login screen. That was around 12 days before this silent BSOD. Other than that my PC has been working great, even under heavy gaming. Not sure if this could have caused this error. Checkdisk and SFC /scannow did not find any errors.

JohnnyGui, Jun 12, 2019
Thema:

1. Silent BSOD "SESSION_HAS_VALID_POOL_ON_EXIT" in background - Similar Threads - Silent BSOD SESSION_HAS_VALID_POOL_ON_EXIT

2. When gaming all background sound goes silent

in Windows 10 Gaming
    When gaming all background sound goes silent: Hi, I have a laptop that runs Windows 11, when I play video games like League of Legends all other sounds get cut off. For example, when the game starts the Discord call I am part of goes completely silent even-though they hear me talking I do not hear them. The same issue...
  3. When gaming all background sound goes silent

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    When gaming all background sound goes silent: Hi, I have a laptop that runs Windows 11, when I play video games like League of Legends all other sounds get cut off. For example, when the game starts the Discord call I am part of goes completely silent even-though they hear me talking I do not hear them. The same issue...
  4. SESSION_HAS_VALID_POOL_ON_EXIT when shutting down laptop

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    SESSION_HAS_VALID_POOL_ON_EXIT when shutting down laptop: When I was shutting down my Dell Laptop, when a error box popped up, with text that I didn't have time to read before the system shutdown. To clarify, it was not a blue screen, and when I booted back up, I was taken to desktop like normal, NOT windows recovery. After looking...
  5. SESSION_HAS_VALID_POOL_ON_EXIT When shutting down Laptop

SESSION_HAS_VALID_POOL_ON_EXIT When shutting down Laptop: When I was shutting down my Dell Laptop, when a error box popped up, with text that I didn't have time to read before the system shutdown. To clarify, it was not a blue screen, and when I booted back up, I was taken to desktop like normal, NOT windows recovery. After looking...
  6. BSOD triggered silently with No Title

BSOD triggered silently with No Title: Hello, I am currently stumped by recent BSOD events, which did not trigger any of BSODs onto the screen, but they were logged into Minidump folder in System32 folder. The common about them is that they were all logging the faults coming from DirectX Graphics MMS, NT Kernel &...
  7. Norton Security 'silent' (in the background) upgrade issue

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Norton Security 'silent' (in the background) upgrade issue: Desktop PC OS is Windows 10 Home (64-bit) v1903, updated to build 18362.356 on 11th Sept 2019, with Norton Security installed. A week later, on 18th September, my OS began showing that Norton Security Antivirus (NS AV) is turned OFF (although it is actually ON) and Windows...
  8. Silent random BSOD occurring in the background

Silent random BSOD occurring in the background: Hello, Out of nowhere, I noticed a hardware error in the Reliability History without noticing anything weird around that time when I was using my PC; there were no freezes, black screens, BSOD's or reboots. I recall watching YouTube videos at that time. I have attached the...
  9. Silent BSOD Bugcheck 113

Silent BSOD Bugcheck 113: Once again 2 months running sudden BSOD 66072
  10. Silent BSOD: bugcheck was: 0x00000133

Silent BSOD: bugcheck was: 0x00000133: Computer freezed twice today, ran 4 weeks without issue. No new software or drivers installed. Screen froze and then computer restart without BSOD message. Event log message: bugcheck was: 0x00000133 (0x0000000000000000, 0x0000000000000501, 0x0000000000000500,...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. session_has_valid_pool_on_exit