Windows 10: Silly Windows. Edit is NOT Run.

Discus and support Silly Windows. Edit is NOT Run. in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; When I right click on a batch file then click EDIT, Windows 10 throws up a warning dialog. "Windows smart screen prevented an unrecognized app from... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by Galane, Feb 3, 2017.

1. Galane Win User

Silly Windows. Edit is NOT Run.

When I right click on a batch file then click EDIT, Windows 10 throws up a warning dialog. "Windows smart screen prevented an unrecognized app from starting."

How do I fix that so that Windows isn't confused between the actions of EDITING and RUNNING a batch file?

:)

Galane, Feb 3, 2017

2. My Folders E63?

Edit: Found my folders it was right under inbox silly me

rowdyyoudy, Feb 3, 2017
  3. crashhot Win User
    "company" field does not sync from Outlook

thanks for your help, basically i'm stuffed!

silly

EDIT: removed expletive
    Message Edited by karim on 11-Sep-2006

10:51 AM

crashhot, Feb 3, 2017
  4. Wullail Win User

Have you tried using 'open with' instead of edit ?

Wullail, Feb 3, 2017
  5. CountMike New Member
    Open it with a text editor, notepad for instance.

CountMike, Feb 3, 2017
  6. strollin Win User
    Maybe Windows isn't being silly after all. When you select Edit, an editor app will be run. It could be that the default Edit program, Notepad, has been changed to be something else which is the unrecognized app that Windows is complaining about.

Check out this article: How To Change The Edit Application In Windows - gHacks Tech News

strollin, Feb 3, 2017
  7. Galane Win User
    I don't get Open With, even holding Shift while right clicking. Click Run anyway and it opens as it should in Notepad. So why the kerfluffle with trying to scare the user instead of just opening the file in notepad?

Another 100% pointless thing Microsoft has done to Windows 10 - now how can we get rid of it?

Galane, Feb 3, 2017
  8. CountMike New Member

Just tried, I can edit any *.bat file without any warning. Maybe because i lowered my Account control settings to "Never Notify". That's for normal Admin account.

CountMike, Feb 3, 2017
  9. Galane Win User
    I want to be notified, about *some* things. Would be nice if it had a "Don't notify me again for this type of file."

Galane, Feb 3, 2017
  10. Bree New Member
    Where did you get this batch file from? Did you download it? If so, it may well be the file itself that the warning applies to. Right-click on it and select Properties, does it say this file came from another computer and is blocked?

To check that you can edit a batch file of your own without the warning, create a 'New text file' and name it empty.bat. Now try and edit that. If you get the warning here too, then something isn't set up properly.

11. JagoWU Win User
    I wonder if it is possible to add file types to smart screen? Surely there is a way to turn off/on smart screen if need be?

JagoWU, Feb 3, 2017
  12. strollin Win User
    Maybe the Notepad.exe you have on your system is a Trojan and Windows is trying to warn you about it.

strollin, Feb 4, 2017
  13. Galane Win User

It doesn't do that for a .bat file I create, even with the full content of one it complains about copied to it. There's no extra extension Windows is hiding. That's the #1 piece of stupid I always turn off first thing when I install Windows.

The files it's having an unwarranted tizzy over are from Wyse_USB_Imaging_Creator_v1.41.zip which is a utility for creating bootable drives for WYSE thin clients.

A .bat file is nothing but a text file. Opening it to edit should never pop up a warning. It has to be processed by the scripting functions of the OS when running it to do anything.

Would be nice if Smart Screen could be made smarter via the user being able to tell it what sorts of things to STFU about while leaving it paying attention to things that really can be threatening, like running a batch file that could do things you don't want.

Galane, Feb 4, 2017
  14. Bree New Member
    As I said in post #8, a downloaded file will be marked as 'blocked' which can restrict what you can do with it. If you are sure that it is safe you can unblock it. This is the Properties for a .bat I extracted from a downloaded .zip file. You can see it's currently blocked, as yours probably is. Try unblocking it, just tick the 'unblock' box and click 'Apply'.

Silly Windows. Edit is NOT Run. [​IMG]

15. CountMike New Member
    Smart screen is as smart as Army intelligence is intelligent.

CountMike, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Silly Windows. Edit is NOT Run. - Similar Threads - Silly Edit Run

2. Silly Snipping Tool

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Silly Snipping Tool: I've been trying to get rid of that stupid snipping tool since it first made it's presence known after some update last summer/fall. I rarely do print screens on my personal laptop but I do at work & I don't have the stupid snipping tool at work but for some reason I cannot...
  3. Silly Snipping Tool

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Silly Snipping Tool: I've been trying to get rid of that stupid snipping tool since it first made it's presence known after some update last summer/fall. I rarely do print screens on my personal laptop but I do at work & I don't have the stupid snipping tool at work but for some reason I cannot...
  4. Probably a silly question

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Probably a silly question: So, I actually really like the landscape shots that are used for the login screen, and the bits of information like where the picture was taken. Is there any app, or way have the same thing show on my background after logging in? submitted by /u/KitKurogami93 [link]...
  5. Silly question

Silly question: I am used to a MAC - so why when I want to start a new folder, does one pop up inside of the one I am already using? - it causes a lot of confusion and I have lost a few files already - I file photos on a monthly basis and things are in such disorder, it's not funny. I feel...
  6. Silly Question

Silly Question: I do not see how after for example measure a distance, getting back to how you drag the map around on the screen \Thanks for the help https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/silly-question/762362be-9da6-4d1c-829c-9ebd51db9887
  7. Gmail playing silly ***

in Browsers and Email
    Gmail playing silly ***: Today it has been refusing to accept the password, when I try to access via Thunderbird. Therefore I deleted in Google and reinstalled, but still the password was rejected, so I created a new word, and successfully opened in browser. When, however, I configure in...
  8. Maybe a Silly Question

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    Maybe a Silly Question: There is a scheduled Windows build upgrade to Windows 1803 available through Windows updates on May 8, 2018. Downloads are scheduled to be available sometime tomorrow form the Microsoft website: Download Windows 10 One option that you have is to perform a Windows 10...
  9. This might be silly

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    This might be silly: Ok so I'm trying to make some modifications to windows, it requires me to reinstall windows completely about 10 times a day or so. I"M SICK OF IT... I really want to have my install media on an SSD, in a second partition. Is this possible(Please don't say "well don't modify...
  10. These could be a silly questions

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    These could be a silly questions: Hello Guys and Gals, I have a couple of spare drives already installed in my desktop. I have had a quick look for the answer to my questions. 1, What is the easiest way to install Windows 10, when it becomes available, onto a spare drive? 2, Is USB more favourable over...