Windows 10: simple answer please, how do I unlock a drive in win 10

Discus and support simple answer please, how do I unlock a drive in win 10 in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; unlock win 10 drive simply... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by stuartlanda, Apr 25, 2019.

1. simple answer please, how do I unlock a drive in win 10

unlock win 10 drive simply

:)

stuartlanda, Apr 25, 2019
  2. kaschiro1 Win User

unlock hard drive

I just installed w10 and I love it!!!!!!!!!!!! I have a dell laptop with a ssd and it works fine. the problem is my second harddrive which is connected a usb and it has all my data on it, except it is locked and cannot edit a file and save the file. We will call that #2, #1 works fine, I can edit and save, #2 I can view but no edit and save. I use photoshop and when I go to save it states that the file is locked. #2 is partitioned into 3 drives and all drives act the same. everything worked on win 7 in the same configuration.
    So with my whiz bang mentality I say the drive is locked. But I do not know how to unlock it !!! can anybody help me!!!
    I am a old senior teckky and things have to be laid out step by step. Is there a program I can download to unlock the HD,??? or do I have to do it the old fashion way, step by step

TIA
    Kas

kaschiro1, Apr 25, 2019
  3. GARoss Win User
    Is uninstall of Win 10 as simple as...?

Years ago I used EasyBCD while trying Linux & it was free.

I went ahead & followed steps 1-7 & all went smooth. After step 5, I had the choice of rebooting now or later. I chose now & booted into Win 7 with no problem. Disk Management was a breeze. All in all it all the whole process took about 10 minutes!

From what I've seen, Windows 10 looks good. It's quite different than Win 7 but no big deal. At this time I really don't have time to work with Win 10 all that much but Win 10 seems to be very stable anyway.

My best to everyone. Thanks for all who helped! *Thumbs

GARoss, Apr 25, 2019
  4. simple answer please, how do I unlock a drive in win 10

BitLocker key cannot unlock the disk. Neither can i reinstall cause the drive is blocked

Hi Havard,

Thank you for posting your query in Microsoft Community.

I understand the inconvenience you are facing currently.

I would appreciate if you can provide us the following information to help us understand the issue better.

• Did you try to unlock the drive using the Bitlocker application in Windows 10?
    • If yes, did you get any error message while trying that?

I suggest you to follow the methods below and check if that helps:

Method 1:

I would suggest you to try unlocking the drive using the Bitlocker facility available in Windows 10 and check if you are able to unlock it successfully. If you are getting any error message with says “Application not found”, then I would suggest you
    to refer the article provided in the link below:

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows-8/unlock-bitlocker-protected-drive

Method 2:

I would suggest that you try the steps mentioned in the link below and check if it helps resolve your issue.

Important: This section, method, or task contains steps that tell you how to modify the registry. However, serious problems might occur if you modify the registry incorrectly. Therefore, make sure that you follow these steps carefully. For
    added protection, back up the registry before you modify it. Then, you can restore the registry if a problem occurs. For more information about how to back up and restore the registry, click the following link to view the article “How to back up and restore
    the registry in Windows” from the Microsoft Knowledge Base:

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/322756

(Applies to Windows 10)

For more information regarding BitLocker, you may refer the article "BitLocker Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)" from this link:

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/hh831507.aspx

Hope the information helps. Please let us know if the issue persist and we will be happy to assist you further.

Nachappa C K, Apr 25, 2019
Thema:

simple answer please, how do I unlock a drive in win 10

1. simple answer please, how do I unlock a drive in win 10 - Similar Threads - simple answer please

2. How do I unlock the files on my flash drive?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How do I unlock the files on my flash drive?: My previous desktop computer had windows 10. I purchased a new one that has windows 11. I downloaded a bunch of files from the old one onto a flash drive. However, now the files all have a yellow lock icon and when I try to do anything with them it gives me a message saying I...
  3. How do I unlock the files on my flash drive?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How do I unlock the files on my flash drive?: My previous desktop computer had windows 10. I purchased a new one that has windows 11. I downloaded a bunch of files from the old one onto a flash drive. However, now the files all have a yellow lock icon and when I try to do anything with them it gives me a message saying I...
  4. Please answer this

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Please answer this: I asked a question about my pin error I had an answer but I couldn't do it.. I was too confused... Can anyone guide me through this problem please https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-to-change-my-pin/533bcb4d-3d92-4c8b-8cc5-05cf3ce73d58...
  5. Encrypting a thumb drive - a simple solution please.

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Encrypting a thumb drive - a simple solution please.: I want to encrypt the jpg images and text on a thumb drive to avoid the data falling into wrong hands, a very simple program which I imagine would take each byte in a new version of the file which had been edited, change it via an encryption password to something else...
  6. Encrypting a thumb drive - a simple solution please.

in Windows 10 Support
    Encrypting a thumb drive - a simple solution please.: I want to encrypt the jpg images and text on a thumb drive to avoid the data falling into wrong hands, a very simple program which I imagine would take each byte in a new version of the file which had been edited, change it via an encryption password to something else...
  7. Simple questions, simple issues, no answers

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Simple questions, simple issues, no answers: Hello. 1) Why all Microsoft troubleshooting utilities ends in errors? Nothing of built-in utilities never solved my problem. 2) Why do you shut down MS Store on W8.1 and it says, please try again later. Why it cannot say, Sorry, were closed forever? 3) Why is there such...
  8. Simple Win 10 customization help please...

in Windows 10 Customization
    Simple Win 10 customization help please...: I just purchased a Dell/Windows 10 laptop. I have everything working technically. Using Thunderbird for email. Wanted to use Edge for a browser but moved to Chrome and Thunderbird for reason stated below. Running Libreoffice. Those are the main apps. Am having a very...
  9. How do I unlock internal hard drive

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    How do I unlock internal hard drive: Enter the 48 digit recovery key, but "a valid usb key wasn't detected." My computer was repaired. This is the internal drive I took out during repair. Now I put the drive back in and it is bitlocked. The C drive where Windows 10 is loaded works fine. larry...
  10. Is uninstall of Win 10 as simple as...?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Is uninstall of Win 10 as simple as...?: Don't panic! *Huh I'm not ready to uninstall Windows 10 just yet but will need to eventually. But, to finish my question; is uninstall of Win 10 as simple as booting into Windows 7, then deleting the Windows 10 partition & re-acquiring that space back to it's original drive?...