Windows 10: Simple question about Wake On Lan

Discus and support Simple question about Wake On Lan in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; I'm in the process of setting up a Wake On LAN setup using an older pc and an external hdd to be used for backups and such. My question is, do both... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by wt.pm, Jan 13, 2021.

1. wt.pm Win User

Simple question about Wake On Lan

I'm in the process of setting up a Wake On LAN setup using an older pc and an external hdd to be used for backups and such. My question is, do both pc's have to be connected to a router by Ethernet cable? My original plan was to do it completely wireless, because stationed where I want to keep them there is no way to connect to an Ethernet cable. So when I first read there had to be a cable I thought it just meant the receiving pc. But I got to thinking maybe it was both pc's, if that's the case I'm out of luck, because I can get the receiving pc next to the router, but my main pc, I would have to get up and walk to the far end of the house to get to the router.

Would there be a better way to set this up, so I could go wireless, and still do a sleeping receiver pc, until woke up by this pc. I mean even if I need to go ahead and keep the receiver here where I originally wanted to, and then have to get up and manually turn the receiver on and off, then do my data transfer, as long as I can establish a good network connection every time. I've had that problem before it worked good the first two or thee times, and then could not connect the pc's by network. They both showed parts of the network, but not each other so they would not connect, so no data transfer. I swear Windows 95 through W XP networking was easy, starting with w 7, networking hit a brick wall and still today trying to establish a network that reconnects every time the pc wakes up, is basically impossible..

:)

wt.pm, Jan 13, 2021

2. Wake On Lan Question

Hi,

Thank you for posting your query in Microsoft Community.

Just to clarify, you are unable to wake the computer up using the Wake on LAN tool, is that right?

You mentioned the "allow this device to wake the computer" option in device manager. Did you check that option and save the changes? If not, please do so and check again.

Also, refer the help article below for steps to configure Wake on Wireless LAN.

Click Here

For more in depth information and support regarding this issue, I would suggest you to post your query in
    TechNet Forum. It will be
    better suited for the IT Pro audience on TechNet.

If you have any Windows related queries in the future, let us know, we will be glad to help.

Wungraileng Vashi, Jan 13, 2021
  3. Korona165 Win User
    Wake On Lan Question

I know how to set and work Wake Up On Lan and it works. My question is more about Wake Up On Lan in general. Is there anyway at all to use Wake Up On Lan over WiFi or dose it only work when the pc is connected to Lan(cable)? Is there any other way
    to wake the pc from Sleep Mode by my Router or something? Or is the only Wake Up On Lan by Cable only?

I have to ask this then if you only can use Wake Up On Lan by using Cable only. How come in Device Manager and select my WiFi card and go to Power Management I have 3 setting 1: Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power. 2: Allow this device
    to wake the computer. 3: Only allow a magic packet to wake the computer. The under the Advanced Tap I have options like this 1: ARP offload for WoWLAN. 2: GTK rekeying for WoWLAN. 3: NS offload for WoWLAN. 4: Sleep on WoWLAN Disconnect. 5: Wake on Magic Packet.
    6: Wake on Pattern Match. That’s all under my wireless card so how came Wake On Lan can’t be used over WiFi but I have all of the options? I can say over WiFi with my pc on and I use a Wake On Lan Tool to test if everything is setup right it passes and I can
    even put my pc to sleep using WiFi just can’t wake it.

Korona165, Jan 13, 2021
  4. 95Viper Win User

95Viper, Jan 13, 2021
Thema:

1. Simple question about Wake On Lan - Similar Threads - Simple question Wake

2. Question about Wake on LAN

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Question about Wake on LAN: Can wake on LAN works when the windows 10 desktop is on recovery mode?[Original Title: WOL] https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/question-about-wake-on-lan/25c521b3-4678-4286-8532-72f31cf588dd
  3. a simple question about Factory Reset

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    a simple question about Factory Reset: I have messed up some default permissions and paths... after trying bunch of stuff I was unable to change everything back to normal. So I'm going for a Reset. If I choose Keep My Personal Data when reseting windows, what will be kept and what will be erased? I'm mainly...
  4. Simple Wake on LAN test

Simple Wake on LAN test: I am trying to see if the "Wake on LAN" feature will help me out in another project. However... I can't seem to figure out how to actually get it to work. So my ask is, "What is the simplest way to test Wake on LAN?" I have 2 identical Windows 10 machines. Intel NUC Hades...
  5. Wake on LAN ???

in Windows 10 Customization
    Wake on LAN ???: What setting do I need to change when this WakeOnLAN ONLY works if the pc to be started via LAN is cut of from power ? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/wake-on-lan/7f39da08-e6f1-410a-afd8-0c598be75319
  6. Simple question about start-up pic

in Windows 10 Customization
    Simple question about start-up pic: How Do You Identify What is the Windows 10 Welcome Screen Picture? My wife's desktop tells you all about it, but mine is mum. How do I get it to tell me what I'm looking at??...
  7. Wake on LAN

Wake on LAN: I am trying to set Wake On LAN up. Specs are router Nighthawk R7000 motherboard ASUS ROG Strix B450-F GAMING Not sure if other specs are needed? process Switched Power On By PCI-E/PCI on in the bios turned Wake on magic packet enabled Checked with wireshark that...
  8. Simple question about installing 10

Simple question about installing 10: I just built a new pc and have a SSD and a regular drive. Everything is new. Will Windows 10 installer allow me to pick to install in on my SSD or should I unplug the other hard drive to avoid it going onto that one? Thanks! submitted by /u/Moldenkewillremain [link]...
  9. Simple Newbie Question About "Photoshopping"

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Simple Newbie Question About "Photoshopping": I don't have photoshop, only MS Paint on my Windows 10 computer. I never photoshopped anything and have absolutely no experience in these type of things. I simply want to take two separate pictures of two of my dogs, and put one dog's head on the other dog's body. I want...
  10. Simple Question about Win 10 Upgrade

in Windows 10 Support
    Simple Question about Win 10 Upgrade: I have win 7 home premium x64, I was wondering when i pick the win 10 dl for an ISO can i select one language ? or does it have to be the generic version (not the k or n or none of that stuff i get that part) P.S. I have to do a clean install, Do you guys think i should...