Windows 10: Simple way to fully gain control over updating Windows 10 systems

Discus and support Simple way to fully gain control over updating Windows 10 systems in Windows 10 Updates and Activation to solve the problem; After testing many methods to take back control over Windows Update (blocked scheduled tasks or services, firewall, wumt wrapper, system proxy... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Updates and Activation' started by muchomurka, Sep 6, 2018.

1. muchomurka Win User

Simple way to fully gain control over updating Windows 10 systems

After testing many methods to take back control over Windows Update (blocked scheduled tasks or services, firewall, wumt wrapper, system proxy redirection) I resigned to use built-in Windows service completely. My currently used procedure is simple and effective.

1. Importing the following value into registry:

Code: Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00 [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\WindowsUpdate] "DisableWindowsUpdateAccess"=dword:00000001[/quote] This effectively denies any Windows Update attempt to contacting MS servers, and of course, it works with both the Home and Pro editions. Because no patches can be further installed this way, we need to use some different mechanism.

2. Using WSUS Offline Update

Download from WSUS Offline Update - Update Microsoft Windows and Office without an Internet connection, unzip, run generator, save patches to folder/share/usb. Then run updater from selected location. That's all.

-----------------------------------------------

Major advantages of this workflow are:
    - fully independent of MS update process which is completely decommissioned
    - there is no need for finding and blocking malicious updates using wushowhide or wumt (rempl, upgrade assistant, feature upgrade...)
    - no device drivers are installed
    - only essential patches are installed (servicing stack, flash, monthly update)
    - optional updates for visual c runtimes, .net, and msoffice can be selected.

One drawback:
    - generator downloads patches for all supported versions (1803, 1709 etc) so amount of data (over 5 GB) can be unacceptable over really metered connection. On the other hand, patches once downloaded to network share or usb stick can be used repeatedly on many systems.

Notes:
    - procedure is successfully tested at many systems with version 1709 installed, either physical or virtual
    - there is no need to select updates for Windows Defender, it has its own (independent on Windows Update) mechanism for downloading new definitions
    - it is necessary to have write permissions in both the generator and updater folders (if you're not sure create them at your desktop)
    - this method requires user action: running generator once after Black Tusesday, then running updater at all systems to be updated
    - it is recommended to test in virtual machine first, but the task is very simple.

Thanks to all the creators of their excellent WSUS Offline Update software.

:)

muchomurka, Sep 6, 2018
  2. Ahhzz Win User

Windows 10 Tweaks

Pressing “Windows+Pause Break” (it’s up there next to scroll lock) opens the “System” Window.

Windows 10: In the new version of Windows, Explorer has a section called Quick Access. This includes your frequent folders and recent files. Explorer defaults to opening this page when you open a new window. If you’d rather open the usual This PC, with links to your drives and library folders, follow these steps:

• Open a new Explorer window.
    • Click View in the ribbon.
    • Click Options.
    • Under General, next to “Open File Explorer to:” choose “This PC.”
    • Click OK

credit to Lifehacker.

Ahhzz, Sep 6, 2018
  3. de.das.dude Win User
    Windows 10 fully updated. Mouse freezes now and then.

ITS BACK! ITS BEEN HERE SINCE MORNING AND NO MATTER WHAT I DO IT WONT GO AWAY *Frown Simple way to fully gain control over updating Windows 10 systems :(

Thats it, im going back to 8.1 :/ enough is enough. it wont let me uninstall the windows updates so that i can fix the issue manually.

so you are yourself saying that a fully updated windows 10 installation is corrupt for no reason *Big Grin Simple way to fully gain control over updating Windows 10 systems :D see, it is crap. i got windows 10 on my work PC as well, and it has tons of compatibility issues. Hell, even Microsofts Office 360 / 2016 doesnt work properly.

de.das.dude, Sep 6, 2018
  4. Bill_Bright Win User

Windows 10 fully updated. Mouse freezes now and then.

It may or may not be related but disabling Windows Update sure is a mistake. Note yesterday's major global ransomware attack, as well as the Wannacry attack in May did NOT affect anyone who allowed Windows Update to keep Windows current.

And to that, except for dial up users, Windows downloading updates should not affect anything you are doing as it steps way into the background. How much RAM do you have? What else is running?
    Why? Minecraft Doesn't Need Java Installed Anymore; It's Time to Uninstall Java.

If me, I would uninstall ESET and run with Windows Defender and see what happens. If no change, you can always install ESET back, but frankly, I don't see any reason why.

Bill_Bright, Sep 6, 2018
Thema:

1. Simple way to fully gain control over updating Windows 10 systems - Similar Threads - Simple fully gain

2. Simple way to rename a group of files?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Simple way to rename a group of files?: like "rename *.mpr _*.mpr"[ATTACH], as I would have done in DOS-times without special software? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/simple-way-to-rename-a-group-of-files/228df2fd-94f8-4b5e-b7a1-8084a83284a8"
  3. Networking on a simple basic system

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Networking on a simple basic system: Yet again Microsoft is screwing with our machines with another update forced upon us that mucks up home networking by changing something to stop machines talking to each other. Yesterday my network of six desktop could talk with the two Network addressable Storage on the...
  4. No Control Over Windows 10 And Possible Malware Routes

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    No Control Over Windows 10 And Possible Malware Routes: Can someone help me understand why I have spent over an hour every day removing the same trash programs from my brand new Windows 10 installation? I Uninstall them, the ones that I am allowed to anyway, I remove them from the list of apps allowed through the firewall, I have...
  5. PCI Simple Communication Controller Driver

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    PCI Simple Communication Controller Driver: I have a problem with PCI Simple Communication Controller Driver [ATTACH] help how can I install it ? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-hardware/pci-simple-communication-controller-driver/93ffb1f8-a89c-43a8-84ac-97a72825b7f9
  6. Is there a Simple way to Change User Account/Name?

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    Is there a Simple way to Change User Account/Name?: I know there are many things that are suggested but I wonder if there is a simple way to do this. We just got our new Windows 10 Pro laptop yesterday and it was set up with an MS username and junk password. It then created a username in the USER directory and, all programs...
  7. Lenovo R400 - Base System Device/PCI Simple Communications Controller?

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Lenovo R400 - Base System Device/PCI Simple Communications Controller?: I've recently updated my old laptop to a 64-bit Windows 10 system. And it runs and works fine. However, I'm getting these three listed items without a driver in the device manager. I've Googled a lot, but not found anything that works. Any solutions? And has anyone else the...
  8. How to gain full control over the system32 folder?

in Windows 10 Support
    How to gain full control over the system32 folder?: HelloMy computer's username is Steve and the PC's name is Steve-PC.I wish to have control over my system32 folder and all its subfolders and files, so I go to Windows | System32 | Properties | Security tab and see this: [img] and I click on the Advanced button and get...
  9. How do I gain absolute control over WindowsApps folder?

in Windows 10 Support
    How do I gain absolute control over WindowsApps folder?: Hi everyone, I play a game available on the Windows 10 app store called World of Tanks Blitz and many of the community members create customized camouflage patterns that you can apply to your tank. The game has its own camouflage patterns, but the more tech-savvy folks in...
  10. Windows 10: Microsoft gives Insiders more control over the update...

in Windows 10 News
    Windows 10: Microsoft gives Insiders more control over the update...: Earlier today, a new build of Windows 10, 10134, found its way to the Internet and tucked away inside the Update and Recovery options are new settings for how updates are applied to your machine. This build is not an official release from Microsoft and if you want to see what...