Windows 10: Simple way to fully gain control over updating Windows 10 systems

Discus and support Simple way to fully gain control over updating Windows 10 systems in Windows 10 Updates and Activation to solve the problem; After testing many methods to take back control over Windows Update (blocked scheduled tasks or services, firewall, wumt wrapper, system proxy... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Updates and Activation' started by muchomurka, Sep 6, 2018.

1. Simple way to fully gain control over updating Windows 10 systems

After testing many methods to take back control over Windows Update (blocked scheduled tasks or services, firewall, wumt wrapper, system proxy redirection) I resigned to use built-in Windows service completely. My currently used procedure is simple and effective.

1. Importing the following value into registry:

Code: Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00 [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\WindowsUpdate] "DisableWindowsUpdateAccess"=dword:00000001[/quote] This effectively denies any Windows Update attempt to contacting MS servers, and of course, it works with both the Home and Pro editions. Because no patches can be further installed this way, we need to use some different mechanism.

2. Using WSUS Offline Update

Download from WSUS Offline Update - Update Microsoft Windows and Office without an Internet connection, unzip, run generator, save patches to folder/share/usb. Then run updater from selected location. That's all.

-----------------------------------------------

Major advantages of this workflow are:
    - fully independent of MS update process which is completely decommissioned
    - there is no need for finding and blocking malicious updates using wushowhide or wumt (rempl, upgrade assistant, feature upgrade...)
    - no device drivers are installed
    - only essential patches are installed (servicing stack, flash, monthly update)
    - optional updates for visual c runtimes, .net, and msoffice can be selected.

One drawback:
    - generator downloads patches for all supported versions (1803, 1709 etc) so amount of data (over 5 GB) can be unacceptable over really metered connection. On the other hand, patches once downloaded to network share or usb stick can be used repeatedly on many systems.

Notes:
    - procedure is successfully tested at many systems with version 1709 installed, either physical or virtual
    - there is no need to select updates for Windows Defender, it has its own (independent on Windows Update) mechanism for downloading new definitions
    - it is necessary to have write permissions in both the generator and updater folders (if you're not sure create them at your desktop)
    - this method requires user action: running generator once after Black Tusesday, then running updater at all systems to be updated
    - it is recommended to test in virtual machine first, but the task is very simple.

Thanks to all the creators of their excellent WSUS Offline Update software.

:)

muchomurka, Sep 6, 2018
  2. Ahhzz Win User

Windows 10 Tweaks

Pressing “Windows+Pause Break” (it’s up there next to scroll lock) opens the “System” Window.

Windows 10: In the new version of Windows, Explorer has a section called Quick Access. This includes your frequent folders and recent files. Explorer defaults to opening this page when you open a new window. If you’d rather open the usual This PC, with links to your drives and library folders, follow these steps:

• Open a new Explorer window.
    • Click View in the ribbon.
    • Click Options.
    • Under General, next to “Open File Explorer to:” choose “This PC.”
    • Click OK

credit to Lifehacker.

Ahhzz, Sep 6, 2018
  3. Windows 10 fully updated. Mouse freezes now and then.

ITS BACK! ITS BEEN HERE SINCE MORNING AND NO MATTER WHAT I DO IT WONT GO AWAY *Frown Simple way to fully gain control over updating Windows 10 systems :(

Thats it, im going back to 8.1 :/ enough is enough. it wont let me uninstall the windows updates so that i can fix the issue manually.

so you are yourself saying that a fully updated windows 10 installation is corrupt for no reason *Big Grin Simple way to fully gain control over updating Windows 10 systems :D see, it is crap. i got windows 10 on my work PC as well, and it has tons of compatibility issues. Hell, even Microsofts Office 360 / 2016 doesnt work properly.

de.das.dude, Sep 6, 2018
  4. Simple way to fully gain control over updating Windows 10 systems

Windows 10 fully updated. Mouse freezes now and then.

It may or may not be related but disabling Windows Update sure is a mistake. Note yesterday's major global ransomware attack, as well as the Wannacry attack in May did NOT affect anyone who allowed Windows Update to keep Windows current.

And to that, except for dial up users, Windows downloading updates should not affect anything you are doing as it steps way into the background. How much RAM do you have? What else is running?
    Why? Minecraft Doesn't Need Java Installed Anymore; It's Time to Uninstall Java.

If me, I would uninstall ESET and run with Windows Defender and see what happens. If no change, you can always install ESET back, but frankly, I don't see any reason why.

Bill_Bright, Sep 6, 2018
Thema:

Simple way to fully gain control over updating Windows 10 systems

1. Simple way to fully gain control over updating Windows 10 systems - Similar Threads - Simple fully gain

2. how to windows in Foreground , a simple way?!

in Windows 10 Customization
    how to windows in Foreground , a simple way?!: I have read complicated ways to get windows in foreground. The easy answer is to set windows to open one at a time. Here's how: open File Explorer, go to view and open options. When 'options' opens click on Change folders. When the dialog box opens, click General and then...
  3. Gamepad controller not fully recognized in Window 10

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Gamepad controller not fully recognized in Window 10: Hello Microsoft Community,I was trying to connect my game controller in windows 10 and the controller is only partly recognized, if at all. Here is what I get... Going into the "Game Controller Settings", I not seeing the controller at all.What is the issue and how can I...
  4. Gamepad controller not fully recognized in Window 10

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Gamepad controller not fully recognized in Window 10: Hello Microsoft Community,I was trying to connect my game controller in windows 10 and the controller is only partly recognized, if at all. Here is what I get... Going into the "Game Controller Settings", I not seeing the controller at all.What is the issue and how can I...
  5. Windows 10 - PCI Simple Communications Controller Update and BSOD

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Windows 10 - PCI Simple Communications Controller Update and BSOD: Hi ,my pc MSI h97 pc mate Intel® H97 Express chipseti7-4790k16 gb ram I have reinstalled windows 10 20H2 with clean install on 16.06.2021To have most cleanest install , i deleted every partition of hdd and formatted, unplugged graphic card and used on-board only, unplugged...
  6. Microphone auto gain control

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Microphone auto gain control: When I talk loudly windows changes my gain down and when I talk quietly windows changes my gain up and I want to disable it but nothing works, I tried to update my mic driver or going to the Mic properties > Advanced, and then uncheck "Allow applications to take exclusive...
  7. How do I gain full control over WindowsApps folder?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    How do I gain full control over WindowsApps folder?: I want to install mods in my kingdom come copy, but I cant as it throws error 0x8000FFFF, hence not allowing my to do shit. I need to create folders, replace files and stuff. I could copy the files, but achievements are somewhat more important submitted by /u/iiTheBeast...
  8. How to gain control

in Windows 10 Customization
    How to gain control: Number one, I strongly suspect that Windows 10 FORCES me to take updates, and I strongly suspect that this is either the root cause or contributing factor in recent crash and lockup to inescapable Preparing Automatic Repair" hanging screen. Can't tell you version or build...
  9. How to gain full control over the system32 folder?

in Windows 10 Support
    How to gain full control over the system32 folder?: HelloMy computer's username is Steve and the PC's name is Steve-PC.I wish to have control over my system32 folder and all its subfolders and files, so I go to Windows | System32 | Properties | Security tab and see this: [img] and I click on the Advanced button and get...
  10. How do I gain absolute control over WindowsApps folder?

in Windows 10 Support
    How do I gain absolute control over WindowsApps folder?: Hi everyone, I play a game available on the Windows 10 app store called World of Tanks Blitz and many of the community members create customized camouflage patterns that you can apply to your tank. The game has its own camouflage patterns, but the more tech-savvy folks in...