Windows 10: Simplest way of installing W10 (Almost clean install) with activation

Discus and support Simplest way of installing W10 (Almost clean install) with activation in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Hi there This method will give IMO the best way of updating your system to W10 via an "Almost" clean install. 1) Re-install CLEAN your old legacy... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by jimbo45, Jul 31, 2015.

1. jimbo45 Win User

Simplest way of installing W10 (Almost clean install) with activation

Hi there

This method will give IMO the best way of updating your system to W10 via an "Almost" clean install.

1) Re-install CLEAN your old legacy OS -- at boot delete all the Windows partitions so there's NOTHING on the HDD (or Windows "C" partition.

2) Ignore / skip the prompt for Windows 10 is available.

3) let the install finish together with any updates the system finds during the install. DO NOT INSTALL ANYTHING ELSE at this stage.

4) VERY IMPORTANT -- ACTIVATE WINDOWS via entering your product key (of the OLD OS). You might need to use control panel and enter Change product key if you are using say your old MSDN / TechNet keys.

5) now go into Windows update via control panel and you'll be offered the Windows 10 upgrade

download it.

Upgrade

you are now done and activated -- it's as good as a CLEAN install -- plus you'll have the odd driver working that W10 might not find.

If you want REALLY to do a clean install later then there are many ways via ISO etc to do it -- but your OLD OS must be activated first before any W10 upgrade if you want to have an activated product.

Cheers
    jimbo.

:)

jimbo45, Jul 31, 2015
  2. Masleyko Win User

Unable to install Windows 10 on my ASUS F5SL-AP179 (system thread exception not handled)

well its almost april and i still havent found the way to install it on X59SL ....

maybe simplest way will be to take out HDD, plug it into pc with as close config as this one, then install win10 . and just do drivers updates for different HW...

i know it wont be cleanest install but should work ..

Masleyko, Jul 31, 2015
  3. baggadap Win User
    Activation Error Code: 0xc004e016; Fresh Install Windows10 with (Win8 Product Key)

You cannot activate W10 with your W8 key. Restore W8, activate, upgrade to W10. Then you can clean install if you want. Do not enter any keys when installing W10. If it asks, press Skip.

baggadap, Jul 31, 2015
  4. wptski Win User

Can't one just install W10 on a previously formatted HD or format the HD from the DVD/USB flash drive media and will be asked for a key during the install?

I just downloaded the W10 ISO using Media Creation tool. At the finish, it stated, make sure that you the product key when your ready to install.

wptski, Jul 31, 2015
  5. jimbo45 Win User
    Hi there

That's the whole point -- the W10 Key WON'T activate and you can't enter your current key during the fresh install. (Or you can but it won't be valid).

What happens is that the product ID of the old OS (note not necessarily the Key but linked to it in some way) and the hardware are stored on Ms's servers. When W10 is installed and you try and activate it it won't activate. It's already activated even on a fresh install provided an UPGRADE has been done FIRST from an activated OS.

The obvious reason for this is to stop people downloading copies of "Pre-activated" OS'es from torrents etc and then trying to get FREE upgrades. The Ms servers are sophisticated enough to know whether your old OS had a "regular" activation or a "dodgy one" via KMS or whatever.

Cheers
    jimbo

jimbo45, Jul 31, 2015
  6. wptski Win User
    Okay, I got it but I have a never used product key which is a different scenario which I forgot to mention.

I just downloaded the W10 ISO using the Media Creation Tool and when finished it stated, make sure you have the product key when you ready to install. This sounds like the product key will be switched by MS from W7/8.1 OS to W10.

wptski, Jul 31, 2015
  7. owensdj Win User
    That's not the best way to do this. If you want a clean install of Windows 10, use Microsoft's Media Creation Tool do it an in-place upgrade from your existing activated install of 7 or 8.1 to 10. Make 100% sure 10 is activated before you go to the next step. Manually tell it to activate under Settings-->Update & Security-->Activation if you have to. Make a Windows 10 DVD or USB flash drive using the Media Creation Tool and then fresh reinstall 10 by booting from the media. Skip entering a Product Key during the install. After 10 is reinstalled it should automatically activate with Microsoft. Manually activate it if you need to like before.

owensdj, Jul 31, 2015
  8. jimbo45 Win User

Hi there

That's OK too but sometimes for some reason people have trouble making that method work -- so I posted mine as an alternative if using the Media creation tool for clean install method fails.

I think the whole essence is that the OLD OS however you upgrade / install afterwards must be LEGALLY Activated (no dodgy"KMS" thingey's) BEFORE any W10 upgrade / installs are done.

The other issue people forget is that the LANGUAGE must be the same --it will fail for example if you download the EN_US version and your old os is the EN_GB one.

Cheers
    jimbo

jimbo45, Jul 31, 2015
  9. wptski Win User
    If everything was depended on having an already activated OS, I don't see why MS would allow the W10 ISO download to begin with unless I'm missing something. Could be for moving an activation from one PC to another though.

wptski, Jul 31, 2015
  10. owensdj Win User
    I think Microsoft wanted users to have an already activated 7 or 8.1 install to keep people from stealing 7/8.1 Product Keys and using them to get the free upgrade to 10.

owensdj, Jul 31, 2015
  11. wptski Win User
    Installing from the ISO wouldn't accept the W8.1 product key. Installed 8.1 passed on the offer to upgrade when asked to use the ISO but that just came up with failed with no error number. Found the option in updates for the W10 upgrade. After the download, etc., completed with a reboot but still on 8.1 with 120-130 updates waiting. Installed the updates, rebooted but still on 8.1. The update detailed list still shows the W10 upgrade like I never did it.

Might try a clean install since the 8.1 product key has been activated.

From all the posts, seems like I'm not the only one with upgrade problems.

wptski, Aug 1, 2015
  12. owensdj Win User
    wptski most of the people who are having upgrade problems aren't doing it correctly. You don't put your 8.1 key into the ISO install. You must in-place upgrade 8.1 to 10. Make sure the upgraded 10 is activated with Microsoft. At this point you can use the ISO to fresh re-install 10, but you don't put in your 8.1 key during the install. You Skip when it asks for the key because Microsoft already has a record of your particular machine and the key on its servers. Once you re-install 10 it should automatically activate with Microsoft.

owensdj, Aug 1, 2015
  13. Simplest way of installing W10 (Almost clean install) with activation

I was asked twice for a key during the clean install; skipped both times and it booted up activated.

cyberrufus, Aug 1, 2015
  14. About time this advice was made a "sticky" Far too many people getting confused re clean installs.

Torquemada, Aug 1, 2015
  15. wptski Win User
    The in place upgrade failed at the first reboot. W8.1 was activated. Well, I already been through the clean install but didn't know not to skip the product key entry so they wouldn't accept it during the two while installing and even one after so "maybe" the next time I boot into W10 it will be activated which is what happened with the W8.1 install.

wptski, Aug 1, 2015
Thema:

1. Simplest way of installing W10 (Almost clean install) with activation - Similar Threads - Simplest installing W10

2. W10 Clean Install - Detailed Steps

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    W10 Clean Install - Detailed Steps: Hello All, At long long last I have the time to switch my desktop from W7 to W10. Am posting a list of what I think are the detailed actions I will have to take for a clean W10 install. Would be great if everyone can have a quick look at my list and post if I have missed...
  3. W10 OS Clean Install on SSD

W10 OS Clean Install on SSD: I'm currently wanting to install a 120GB SSD into my PC. 1) What I want to know is, will the OS on the HDD conflict with the one on the SSD after I do a clean install on it, and make it the boot disc? All I want to use it for is the OS and the games I'm playing the...
  4. Clean install after upgrading to W10?

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Clean install after upgrading to W10?: It appears that I have to upgrade install w10 to get the free W10. After that, is it possible to clean install the W10 in place of the W10 install upgraded from W7 or W8.1? 9204
  5. Clean install and activations

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Clean install and activations: Hello. I have been unable to activate W10 from a clean installation, neither by using a w7 code (COA sticker), neither from those w8.x systems that have activation string encrypted in bios (do you need UEFI/GPT installation for this way to work?). Ideas?. 18064
  6. Clean install W10 on Surface Pro

Clean install W10 on Surface Pro: While clean installing W10 on Surface Pro, the following message was returned. Pressed Windows key but nothing happened. The bootable USB install drive was created by Media Creation Tool from MS. I also tried Recovery USB drive created from the Surface Pro machine but the...
  7. is there a way to install clean

is there a way to install clean: is there a way to set the downloaded upgrade file on a flash drive and use it to do a clean install? only option i see is schedule it for later or start the upgrade now 9611
  8. W10 activation with W7 product Key(approperiate way of installation)

W10 activation with W7 product Key(approperiate way of installation): Hi everyone, I'm planning to buy SSD drive to my laptop, and i would like to know what is the easiest way of upgrading to new W10. The question is whether: 1. Can i do clean installation of Windows 10 disk when it comes out and activate it with windows 7 Home premium OA...
  9. Clean install w10 from w8

Clean install w10 from w8: Hi guys, I'm stuck at a point where I cant go back nor proceed further, please assist me.. My scenario is i tried clean installation of w10 but as my partition is in GPT format it is not accepting, what I did as a mistake is I formatted the drive having w8, now my pc isnt...
  10. Clean W10 install on an OEM W10 machine

Clean W10 install on an OEM W10 machine: My new Dell Inspiron laptop should arrive this coming Monday. I've been doing some research on doing a clean install. I read where MS won't activate a fresh install over an OEM key. So my Dell with OEM W10 will be activated as such and if I understand correctly if I download...