Windows 10: Simply cannot stop my mapped network drives being shown as disconnected on boot

Discus and support Simply cannot stop my mapped network drives being shown as disconnected on boot in Windows 10 Ask Insider to solve the problem; My setup is as follows: OS: Windows 10 pro 1909 Laptop: MS Surface Pro 6 Laptop connected to router via 5GHz wifi NAS connected to router directly by... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Ask Insider' started by /u/GenericUname, Jun 26, 2020.

1. Simply cannot stop my mapped network drives being shown as disconnected on boot

My setup is as follows:

• Laptop: MS Surface Pro 6
    • Laptop connected to router via 5GHz wifi
    • NAS connected to router directly by ethernet
    • Both on same subnet
    • NAS sharing 4 shares via SMB3
    • Shares mapped to drives on laptop

In general usage, the shares/mapped drives seem to work perfectly well - I can click on one of the mapped drives and access everything there just fine with basically no delays.

However, every time I reboot my laptop it initially shows the mapped drives as disconnected - there's a red cross on them in explorer and I get a notification saying that some network drives are disconnected. As soon as I actually try to open them in Explorer they open pretty much instantly and the red cross disappears.

I've tried so many troubleshooting things I can hardly even remember what I've done specifically, but I've been all the way down to several pages into likely google searches and found nothing to solve it. A likely incomplete list of what I've tried:

• Messing with the accounts on the NAS and laptop sides - every combination of permissions I can think of, trying to set up the same account on both sides, just giving up and making the shares completely public.
    • Varying whether both the NAS and the laptop are getting IPs via DHCP or on fixed IPs.
    • Every single possible setting you could think of on the laptop, router, and NAS with regards to firewalls, port forwarding, etc.
    • Registry edits on the laptop which I can't fully remember but were suggested by some article on google as helping.
    • A .bat file on the laptop supposed to run on startup and force the connection to be recognised.

Nothing seems to work. Please save me!

submitted by /u/GenericUname
    [link] [comments]

:)

/u/GenericUname, Jun 26, 2020

2. Windows 10 Drive Mapping showing Disconnected Network Drive

I have a NAS (WD My Cloud) on my home network and I have always added a drive on my networked computers using drive M as their Music drives. But recently My Network drive went down and I had to reinstall all the files on it's replacement drive. I gave
    the new network drive4 the same IP address on the network and everything else (All the other drive mappings for my Documents Drive, my Downloads drive, my Pictures drive, etc. Nut my music drive keeps showing Disconnected Network Drive. But now I cannot delete
    the drive mapping. It tells me Network drive does not exist. I have tried all of the suggestions from other threads including using Command prompt commands and everything else I have seen but it still shows up as a Disconnected Network drive. I can rename
    the drive as Music again and I can always access the drive4 even when it is listed as Disconnected Netowork Drive but I cannot add any more files to it and I cannot manipulate any of the files on the drive. I can listen to the music files through most of my
    players but I cannot edit any of the metadata on the files. How do I get my drive fully functional again?

Trent Perez, Jun 26, 2020
  3. Deleting Mapped network drive

I have all my music files on a WD MyCloud drive which is connected to my home network. I previously mapped my M:/ drive to the music folder on my MyCloud drive via it's IP address. Then the IP address of the MyCloud drive changed and the drive showed as
    disconnected. But the drive's contents are still readable and writable by windows explorer But now I cannot disconnect the drive (This Network Connection Does Not Exist) And the drive no longer appears in the list of mappable drive letters under Map a Network
    drive. My question is how do I delete this disconnected network drive so I can re-map it again with the correct URL.

***Original title: Previously mapped network drive now showing as disconnected but is still readable and writable.***

Trent Perez, Jun 26, 2020
  4. Simply cannot stop my mapped network drives being shown as disconnected on boot

Unable to disconnect from mapped network drive

I receive the following error when I try to disconnect from a self mapped network drive: "network connection does not exist"

The network drive icon appears with a bid red x and says it is disconnected, yet I can double click on it to enter the mapped folder. Doing this does not reconnect the folder, and remains disconnected. This causes problems because programs that pointed
    to this path are unable to read the files. I am unable to remap this drive because the associated drive letter (ESimply cannot stop my mapped network drives being shown as disconnected on boot :) and mapping no longer shows up in the list.

I've tried all the typical suggestions including:

--I tried to do it via the command prompt with the net use delete command, but it can't be found in there.

--Tried to above with the actual network path instead of the drive letter, did not work

--Tried to delete the registry entries from:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\MountPoints2

HKEY_USERS\. Default\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Mountpoint2\

None of these solutions worked. Though deleting the registry entries momentarily hid the disconnected drive, the drive letter was still not available for mapping. I tried to force the drive letter (ESimply cannot stop my mapped network drives being shown as disconnected on boot :) to map to my optical drive, which worryingly, pointed
    back to the mapped network location on the NAS instead of to the optical drive.

How do I get rid of this? Reformatting the computer is not an option.

RMI_Howard, Jun 26, 2020
Thema:

Simply cannot stop my mapped network drives being shown as disconnected on boot

1. Simply cannot stop my mapped network drives being shown as disconnected on boot - Similar Threads - Simply cannot stop

2. Mapped Network Drive keep getting disconnect

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Mapped Network Drive keep getting disconnect: i bought a new MS Surface 3 and do all the update. Map my network drive and start using it. When I restart my laptop next day I can no longer access the network work drive from file explorer. It keep prompting me drive is not accessible or it is in use?I am able to access the...
  3. Mapped Network Drive Disconnects and Will Not Reconnect

Mapped Network Drive Disconnects and Will Not Reconnect: OS:Windows 10 V20H2 PC: Dell XPS8940 Router: Netgear R7000 w/ TomatoUSB Nine of ten mapped network drives on my desktop PC behave normally! The tenth is a problem. It is mapped to the USB drive connected to my router.Sometimes (days) I cannot connect to this mapped drive and...
  4. Wifi networks not being shown

Wifi networks not being shown: I am unable to see the list of network and when I click on taskbar network setting button it does not respond. When i right click on the icon and open network and internet settings and then try to click show available networks click doesnt work.what is the issue ? I have...
  5. Intermittent disconnection of Mapped Drive - Cannot Lock Drive

Intermittent disconnection of Mapped Drive - Cannot Lock Drive: Ever since bought new Win10 PC Mar 2020 and created a mapped drive with another Win10 PC, it is giving headache. Earlier it used to get intermittently disconnected. I updated the HKey and now started giving message cannot lock drive. Hello what has changed? Why intermittent...
  6. Mapped drive "Disconnected"

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Mapped drive "Disconnected": So I'm having a issue where a mapped drive Windows 10 is showing Disconnected with the red X sometimes when powering on.. Even though it's saying it's disconnected I can still access all the files in it.. The main part of the issue is a software is pulling data from the...
  7. my network drives are no longer being shown in "network" in file explorer anymore

my network drives are no longer being shown in "network" in file explorer anymore: my network drives are no longer being shown in "network" in file explorer anymore in 2017/2018 i could see all my network drives in file explorer and so read and write to them, but then i could not see them but last year i started to see all my network drives again after an...
  8. Cannot Map Network Drive in Explorer

Cannot Map Network Drive in Explorer: Hello: Lately, I am having trouble Mapping one of my Network Drives in Windows Explorer. A long time ago (early Windows 10 and before) I could simply click on "Network" and it would bring up my Drive (among others), I would click on it (right click as I recall) and it would...
  9. Unable to disconnect from mapped network drive

Unable to disconnect from mapped network drive: I have two mapped drives in my network locations mapped to Q: and V:. I can access their contents, but I cannot disconnect them. When I attempt to disconnect either drive, I receive an error stating that "the system cannot find the file specified." I attempted to...
  10. Cannot map shared network drive

Cannot map shared network drive: I have just upgraded from Win7 Pro to Win10 Pro and have a problem with a shared network drive. Under Win7 and 8.1 I had no difficulty mapping this drive which is attached directly to my access point. However, since upgrade, I can log into the drive using a browser but cannot...