Windows 10: Since latest update in October 2020 to build 19041.572 Cortana is no longer opening apps

Discus and support Since latest update in October 2020 to build 19041.572 Cortana is no longer opening apps in Cortana to solve the problem; Hi there, Since the recent update to windows in October 2020 I have noticed that Cortana no longer opens programs when I ask. For example "Open... Discussion in 'Cortana' started by Tim.ZM, Oct 18, 2020.

1. Tim.ZM Win User

Since latest update in October 2020 to build 19041.572 Cortana is no longer opening apps

Hi there,

Since the recent update to windows in October 2020 I have noticed that Cortana no longer opens programs when I ask.

For example "Open Twitch App" and instead all I get back are Bing search engine results.

Looking through a large number of support articles that relate to years old windows builds there is no current answer that I can see to why Cortana has stopped doing this.

In cortana setting all available permissions are on and it should be working.

Any ideas how to get Cortana to respond to voice activated commands again?

As Cortana is responding with Bing searches, then at least I know Cortana can hear me and can talk back to me.

Just seems limited to doing internet searches.

:)

Tim.ZM, Oct 18, 2020
  2. Brink Win User

Changes to Cortana services on January 31st, 2020

Source: https://support.microsoft.com/en-gb/help/4531683

Brink, Oct 18, 2020
  3. Brink Win User
    Mail app will not open on 10041.

Hello Adam,

This is the suggested solution below if you haven't already tried it. Since latest update in October 2020 to build 19041.572 Cortana is no longer opening apps :)

In this Windows 10 build 10041, the Mail, Calendar, and People apps may be broken due to a licensing issue with the Store Beta. To get these apps working again, you need to follow these steps:

• Open powershell as administrator
    • Run the command Get-appxprovisionedpackage –online | where-object {$_.packagename –like “*windowscommunicationsapps*”} | remove-appxprovisionedpackage –online
    • Re-install Mail, People and Calendar from the Store (green tile)

Brink, Oct 18, 2020
  4. Since latest update in October 2020 to build 19041.572 Cortana is no longer opening apps

Cumulative updates - October 2020

This is a summary of the cumulative updates released on October 13th for all the supported consumer releases of Windows 10.

1. Windows 10 version 2004 - KB4579311 Build 19041.572
    2. Windows 10 versions 1903 and 1909 - KB4574727, Build 18362.1139 and 18363.1139
    3. Windows 10 versions 1809 - KB4570333, Build 17763.1518

IMPORTANT Release notes are changing! To learn about the new URL, metadata updates, and more, see What’s
    next for Windows release notes

IMPORTANT Windows 10, version 1809, will reach end of service on November 10, 2020 for devices running Windows 10 Home, Pro, Pro for Workstation, and IoT Core editions. These devices will
    no longer receive monthly security and quality updates that contain protection from the latest security threats. To continue receiving security and quality updates, Microsoft recommends updating to the latest version of Windows 10.

Windows 10 update history

https://support.microsoft.com/en-in/help/4529964/windows-10-update-history

Windows 10 release dashboard

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/release-information/status-windows-10-2004

Windows 10 message center

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/release-information/windows-message-center#407

Follow @WindowsUpdate to find out when new content is published to the release information dashboard.

----------------------------------------------

Important: Users posting replies referring to their own websites would be considered as Spam and would be suspended from this community.

(If you have recommended this discussion and are looking for the unsubscribe button, please hit subscribe below, and a dialogue will open with the unsubscribe choice.)

Sumit - Insider MVP, Oct 18, 2020
Thema:

Since latest update in October 2020 to build 19041.572 Cortana is no longer opening apps

1. Since latest update in October 2020 to build 19041.572 Cortana is no longer opening apps - Similar Threads - Since latest update

2. Cannot update or clean install Windows since October 2020 update

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Cannot update or clean install Windows since October 2020 update: Few times I tried updating my PC to October 2020 update. It failed so I decided for a clean install from USB pendrive. I made bootable pendrive using Media Creation Tool. When I enter it in UEFI mode I see a Windows logo for a sec then my PC reboots and just starts the...
  3. Windows Start, Search, Cortana, Defender not opening. Updated to latest build 20h2.

in Windows 10 Customization
    Windows Start, Search, Cortana, Defender not opening. Updated to latest build 20h2.: Windows Start menu, Search and Defender not opening... tried too many repairs suggested on forums, using powershell, system restore, update to latest build... nothing works. Don't want to reinstall again. Need solution which can fix this issues. Thanks,...
  4. Cortana no longer working 2020 Dec

in Cortana
    Cortana no longer working 2020 Dec: Hi I used to have Cortana on my PC which allowed me to just say "Hey Cortana" and it'd help activate certain apps or set volume controls. This now no longer works. In the new app it even say "Voice activation is currently unavailable and will be included in a future...
  5. Cortana is suspended and not working...Since latest update ....

in Cortana
    Cortana is suspended and not working...Since latest update ....: I have tried everything posted in the previous thread about going into the Task Manager and ending task, then trying to 'reinstall via the power shell admin ' but it did not work. I have also tried just restarting my pc after ending the task and that did not work. The pc is...
  6. Build 19041 Issues

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Build 19041 Issues: I lost my email - rebuilt it from backups I lost my turbo tax 2019 - am rebuilding it from a backup I lost all my saved passwords - gone no rebuild I lost my video display - had to resort to vga and reinstall video drivers I lost printers - am trying to rebuild those...
  7. Crashes, freezes since installing Build 19041- how to proceed?

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Crashes, freezes since installing Build 19041- how to proceed?: My computer automatically updated to Version 10.0.19041 Build 19041 1-2 days ago. Since then I am having multiple problems: Frequent freezes with Firefox all extensions disabled Frequent freezes using Explorer windows - eg opening task manager Cannot login to other user...
  8. since latest install of windows10 update, i no longer have mouse access to cortana search...

in Cortana
    since latest install of windows10 update, i no longer have mouse access to cortana search...: As stated previously I always had access through my mousenot speech control!! to cortana searches on my taskbar, since latest install of updates win10 this has gone???...
  9. DPC_Watchdog_Error on Build 19041

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    DPC_Watchdog_Error on Build 19041: Earlier this morning, my Windows PC HP Envy m6 using AMD crashed. Please view the dump file here. Suggesting that users uninstall third party antivirus software is callous and irresponsible, no matter how much better you believe Microsoft Defender has become. Under no...
  10. Latest build mentions Cortana

in Windows 10 News
    Latest build mentions Cortana: Just an interesting tidbit *Wink 10.0.9897.0.fbl_cortana.141124-1924 BuildFeed: The Windows build tracker 3091