Windows 10: Since reset of Microsoft.Photos, face detection degraded a lot

Discus and support Since reset of Microsoft.Photos, face detection degraded a lot in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; I use Microsoft.Photos to manage all my photos (about 20K files). When i first checked possibilities using this tool, i was suprised to see that... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by Lorenzinio31, Apr 30, 2019.

1. Since reset of Microsoft.Photos, face detection degraded a lot

I use Microsoft.Photos to manage all my photos (about 20K files). When i first checked possibilities using this tool, i was suprised to see that thousands of good face detection for many persons had been done automatically.

For exemple i got around 2300 detection concerning me, in spite of Lightroom detected about 2700 (but improved by manual confirmation).

The problem was the size of my collection, about 80 GB, because i'm not a photograph, this was only slowing Lightroom and other detections tools, so i decided to convert them using xnview to compress and obtained a 20 GB collection size.

Then i decided to reset Microsoft.Photos to see if it detect more faces, hoping it approches lightroom results. A really bad idea..

I never got again a working face detection... Concerning me, it detects between 80 and 120.. instead of the 2300 or more..

I tried many things :

- reset app using parameter option many times

- repaired the app using parameter option
    - created a new local account and tried detection

- tried detection on another computer (linked to my account)

- deleted the app and reinstalled using appxpackage install

- tried windows insider with latest updates

There are no logs explaining what's happening with this uwp apps.

I dont understand what's the problem. Did the conversion make my photo unreadable by recognation (Microsoft cognitive services ?).

However I can see them correctly in Photos or some other tools with same quality as the olders ...

Hope some help

:)

Lorenzinio31, Apr 30, 2019

2. Photos app face recognition and naming people detected

I don't doubt that face recognition, naming and merging works after one or more reinstalls. But did you also check the recognition rate? Before the reset, the app recognized 999 photos with the face of my elder son. But i could not give a name to the photos.
    After several resets, I could give names to the thumbnails, but it recognized only 378 photos of my son (see screenshot on page 3 of this forum). For other persons, the detection rate degraded even more.

Hans-Martin S, Apr 30, 2019
  3. Photos app face recognition and naming people detected

Hi Patricia,

thanks a lot for your reply. I am very happy that finally someone from Microsoft gives attention to the problem. Here the data about my computers:

PC1:

Windows 10 1709.16299.309 Home 64 Bit

HP Pavilion Power Laptop 15-cb0xx, Core i7-7700HQ, 2.80 GHz, 16 GB RAM

Photos App 2018.18021.12420.0

PC2:

Windows 10 1709.16299.309 Home 64 Bit

Lenovo Miix 320 10ICR 2in1 Tablet, Atom x5-Z8350, 1.44 GHz, 4 GB RAM

Photos App 2018.18021.12420.0

PC3

Windows 10 1709 Pro 64 Bit

Desktop, Core 2 6600, 2.4 GHz, 4 GB RAM

Photos App 2017.39101.16270.0 (until yesterday), 2018.18021.12420.0 since today.

Corrective Information regarding my post from March 19: With PC3 naming is neither possible as administrator nor as standard user 1.

According to your suggestion, for standard user 1 of PC1, I did a reset of the Photos app. But this was not a good idea:

• It did not help. Before and after the reset, naming and merging of people was not possible. As can be seen in the attached screenshot, there is no field for names below each thumbnail.
    • Since the reset, a lot of pictures with faces are not recognized any more. Before the reset, the app had found 999 photos of my elder son and about 700 photos of my younger son. Now, after the reset, the app has found only 378 photos of the elder and 310
      photos of the younger son. (The folders I have listed in the app's settings are the same, so the app should have access to the same photos as it had before the reset).

Since reset of Microsoft.Photos, face detection degraded a lot eb04677d-429d-4b53-a3d3-a3ff7a8e7929?upload=true.jpg

Hans-Martin S, Apr 30, 2019
  4. sunberg Win User

Since reset of Microsoft.Photos, face detection degraded a lot

Turn On or Off Face Detection and Recognition in Windows 10 Photos app

This feature seems to be bugged on the latest version. Photos with faces are recognized and listed in the "tag list" under search box, but "People" tab is empty. Tested on another device with exactly the same result...

edit: Well, I figured it out. Gallery must contain at least 3 photos of a person to show up on "People" tab. *Wink

sunberg, Apr 30, 2019
Thema:

Since reset of Microsoft.Photos, face detection degraded a lot

1. Since reset of Microsoft.Photos, face detection degraded a lot - Similar Threads - Since reset Microsoft

2. microsoft photos application shows degraded colors

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    microsoft photos application shows degraded colors: [ATTACH] https://preview.redd.it/jvpv8opo8bu81.png?width=3840&format=png&auto=webp&s=c3efc87048633ff87b43d712e8effda9f8ea9963 as u can see photos look dull when viewed in Microsoft photo as compared to irfan viewer. why is this happening? submitted by /u/somamrutha...
  3. Microsoft Photos face tagging missing a ton of photos

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Microsoft Photos face tagging missing a ton of photos: I can see my photos and folders thousands of photos of people and places. But, the face tagging section of the app only sees a handful 5% of total of photos. Is there a way to force this functionality to sync?...
  4. Microsoft Photos face tagging missing a ton of photos

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Microsoft Photos face tagging missing a ton of photos: I can see my photos and folders thousands of photos of people and places. But, the face tagging section of the app only sees a handful 5% of total of photos. Is there a way to force this functionality to sync?...
  5. face recognition in Microsoft Photo's

face recognition in Microsoft Photo's: Hi I have over 30,000 photos and I am in the process of importing this into Microsoft Photos After a night of waiting, all photos with examples were included in the people folder. Given the large number, I think this is fast These photos include many upgrowing children and...
  6. Anyone dump Photos because of inaccurate face detection?

Anyone dump Photos because of inaccurate face detection?: Was hoping Microsoft Photos would work, but Adobe and Nero did better, and Photos misses key individuals and/or lumps young people into one categoroy. I don't want to waste too much more time on something that may not work, so curious if others have succeeded using Photos?...
  7. Speed degraded after reseting.

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Speed degraded after reseting.: Due to multiple issues(not related to the speed of the system at all), i reset the windows ten by removing the apps but keeping my files/documents. But now after reseting windows 10, my system has slowed down like hell. Previously before reseting the speed was amazingly fast....
  8. Windows Photos: Faces detected but not recognized

Windows Photos: Faces detected but not recognized: Hey there, this seems to be a Problem many have for several months. Windows Photos stops to recognize persons after about 200 photos and does never every continue. Looking into the database file reveals that there have been more than 100 000 faces detected, however there are...
  9. Microsoft Photos app not recognizing faces in photos

Microsoft Photos app not recognizing faces in photos: I use Microsoft.Photos to manage all my photos (about 20K files). When i first checked possibilities using this tool, i was suprised to see that thousands of good face detection for many persons had been done automatically. For exemple i got around 2300 detection concerning...
  10. Faces in Windows 10 Photos app not being detected.

Faces in Windows 10 Photos app not being detected.: Hello, Windows Photos app hasn't been detecting faces and I'm not very sure why. I checked settings to make sure "People" was on, I restarted the app and my PC, and I have waited about a month. This is really annoying and I would like to get People working again. Please...