Windows 10: Since upgrading to 10, cannot open word 2003 .doc from email link

Discus and support Since upgrading to 10, cannot open word 2003 .doc from email link in Browsers and Email to solve the problem; I upgraded my laptop before attempting my main PC. On the laptop I have received an email with a simple .doc file attached. When I click on it I get... Discussion in 'Browsers and Email' started by e9b6, Aug 23, 2015.

1. e9b6 Win User

Since upgrading to 10, cannot open word 2003 .doc from email link

I upgraded my laptop before attempting my main PC.

On the laptop I have received an email with a simple .doc file attached. When I click on it I get the message

there is a problem sending the command to the program

This never happened in Windows 8.1.

I have tried googling this but nothing seems to solve the problem.

If this is the norm, then I wont upgrade my PC

CRG

:)

2. bhr856 Win User

710: Can't open/save email attachments. Please help

Yes, I did download the App for Adobe PDF and that didn't help with the email.

I am able to open and read PDFs from the Internet, so I know that it works.

I tried to open a PDF doc that was 816k and a Word Doc that was 83k and version 97-2003 doc.

Thanks again...

bhr856, Aug 23, 2015
  3. mlg63 Win User
    windows 10

No you cannot use word 2002 or 2003. Both are incompatible with windows 10. I tried to add word 2003 but it caused all sorts of problems and made windows update unusable. You have the option to rollback to the previous windows in Settings, Update, Recovery.
    That is only available for 30 days after upgrading so be quick. Or just uninstall the old word and upgrade Office or use something else. There is a good Word Viewer at Office downloads that can be use to read or print word docs, but you cannot use word for
    anything else.

mlg63, Aug 23, 2015
  4. bro67 Win User

What Web Browser are you using? What are you using to view .doc files? Have you tried right clicking and saving the file? Keep in mind that just opening any file, can cause you to become infected. I would not be surprised if Microsoft incorporated some kind of Malware guard into Windows 10.

bro67, Aug 23, 2015
  5. e9b6 Win User
    Firefox 40 and thunderbird latest. On my OC on windows8.1 there is no problem and the .doc file opens as it should, using word 2003 It used to on the laptop but after windows 10 I am getting this error message. Saving the file as a .doc file is no better because clicking on it, gives the same message. I have to go to open in word.2003 and open the file that way.

6. e9b6 Win User
    Now found that none of the laptop audio works in firefox, or other app.

I have had enough

I have gone back to Windows 8.1 where everything still works

7. It may be too late, but have you tried a clean install of Windows 10? Once the upgrade is complete and Windows 10 is activated, a clean install may solve many of these issues.

DeaconFrost, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Since upgrading to 10, cannot open word 2003 .doc from email link - Similar Threads - Since upgrading cannot

2. Can't open a Word Doc.

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Can't open a Word Doc.: Can't open a Word Doc saved less than 24 hours ago. The message I get is file is either deleted or not available at this time. I didn't delete it. HELP! https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/cant-open-a-word-doc/6c951d89-266a-4331-853f-4c10aa286679
  3. CANNOT LOCATE WORD DOCS

CANNOT LOCATE WORD DOCS: I moved a group of Word documents from their location on my PC to OneDrive, and deleted the ones from their original location. They are now in OneDrive with the option to always remain on my hard drive. Now when I try to open one of them within the Word App, I get an error...
  4. opening a word doc

in Windows 10 Customization
    opening a word doc: since purchasing and installing Adobe, When I open a document in word i have about 3 signs coming up - eg: File not found: /Library/Application Support/Adobe/MACPDFM/MacPDFM.framework/Versions/A/MacPDFM How do I stop this?...
  5. I am unable to open word doc or create word docs

I am unable to open word doc or create word docs: I am unable top open any Docs at all- it is like I have never had Widows 10 that is the only program I have ever had on the computer how can I fix it please? All updates and security are done...
  6. cannot download and open doc from email

cannot download and open doc from email: cannot download and open doc from email https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/cannot-download-and-open-doc-from-email/3579d8ee-619a-4ebf-b6b1-d521da36bb16"
  7. how to open this doc as word doc?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    how to open this doc as word doc?: This document was originally opened as a notepad document, so it opens that way always. I would like to change it to a Word document. Is that possible?...
  8. Win 10 taking 3 min to launch link or open Word doc

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Win 10 taking 3 min to launch link or open Word doc: My Dell Optiplex 980 (Win 10 16.299, 8 gb RAM) has been working fine, until this morning, when on waking up from sleep it abruptly slowed to a crawl. That's 'crawl' as in taking 3 minutes to open Word, another 3 to move from one doc to another in the same directory, 5 min to...
  9. Folders: converting Word Doc format files to Word 97-2003 format

in Microsoft Office and 365
    Folders: converting Word Doc format files to Word 97-2003 format: Hi All, I have a question related to one I posed earlier tonight - and which may solve the problem. I have several folders which contain thousands of documents which I converted from WordPerfect to Word Document format. How would I change each of the thousands of files...
  10. OneDrive and open Word docs

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    OneDrive and open Word docs: Okay, so I am using the native OneDrive app for my cloud storage. Now let's say I am working on a Word doc, (in Office 2016, i.e., I am using the regular desktop Office suite), and I have the doc open for a couple hours straight. In the course of that time, I make a lot of...