Windows 10: Since when is an eSATA drive considered a 'removable' drive for backup

Discus and support Since when is an eSATA drive considered a 'removable' drive for backup in Windows 10 Backup and Restore to solve the problem; I've been using an eSATA drive since Win 7 and had no problem with Windows backup. Now, since Sunday morning, backup considers that drive 'removable'... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Backup and Restore' started by rzn6jw, Jun 19, 2016.

1. rzn6jw Win User

Since when is an eSATA drive considered a 'removable' drive for backup

I've been using an eSATA drive since Win 7 and had no problem with Windows backup. Now, since Sunday morning, backup considers that drive 'removable' media and won't back up to it.

Any ideas out there?

(Since I couldn't do a Windows backup, I configured Macrim to do it, but I don't understand why Windows won't back up)

Win 7 Pro 64 bit Version 10.0.10586 Build 10586
    AMD FX-8370 4.0gHz
    Gigabyte FZ990-UD3
    nVidia GTX 1080 FE
    32G DDR3 1600 memory

:)

rzn6jw, Jun 19, 2016
  2. PTuck Win User

Windows 10 Esata not auto detecting - only if scan for hardware changes - also cannot safely remove

Hi all.

So previously, with Windows 7, using an HDD docking station connected by esata, I could insert a hard drive into the docking station power it up, and windows 7 would detect it automatically.

Since updating to Windows 10 quite some time ago now, this has never worked properly. The only way I can get Windows 10 to see the esata drive is to either a) Restart the PC, or B) Scan for hardware changes in device manager, which would then pick up the
    drive. This is very annoying, as causes every one of my internal drives etc to spin up needlessly

Likewise....once I'm finished with that drive, there is no longer a Safely Remove Hardware option for the esata drive....something which was present with no problems in Windows 7 too....so the only way I can guarantee safely removing the drive is effectively
    to shut down the PC.

On the same docking station I can use USB 2.0 too, but that is much slower.

Any ideas how to make this work how it used to please?

PTuck, Jun 19, 2016
  3. How Can I Get Windows 10 to "See" my External Hard Drive in the eSata Port?

To use ESATA with Windows 10 on my computers, this works:

1) shut down.

2) plug the ESATA drive into the PC, and turn on the ESATA drive.

3) after the drive is spinning up, turn on the PC.

4) if the PC freezes during boot, reboot it, and it usually detects ESATA correctly and boots normally.

5) always keep ESATA plugged into the PC and turned on before you start the PC if you want to continue using it.

Please let me know what happens for you?

Thanks,

J

Janus Daniels, Jun 19, 2016
  4. Dude Win User

Check your Bios and see if your sata ports are configured as hot/removable

5. rzn6jw Win User
    None of the SATA ports are configured as hot/removable in the BIOS. However, Port 0 is not present. Port 0 is where I have the eSATA cable plugged in. Even though I have the eSATA drive powered on, the BIOS still doesn't recognize the port is active.

Windows sees the eSATA drive and says that it's on port 0 but since port 0 is not present in the BIOS, that must be the reason that backup thinks that the drive is removable. So I must have had a hardware error on the mobo sometime since the last backup and never saw the error. And apparently Macrim will do a system backup on any type of drive, so that's why that worked. I'll have to figure out how to activate the port by contacting Gigabyte.

Thanks for pointing me in the right direction.

rzn6jw, Jun 20, 2016
  6. Dude Win User
    Good luck, let us know what gigabyte says. Port 0 should be your drive with your OS. Switching it may help.

7. Just for clarification, my Win 7 system has a e-sata port on a gigabyte mother board. No matter what e-sata device I've ever plugged into it, its always been removable.

storageman, Jun 20, 2016
  8. rzn6jw Win User

That may have been the case since I started using eSATA. However, this issue just started this weekend when backup wouldn't save to a 'removable' drive (error message from backup).

Can't figure out what's changed from the previous, successful, backups.

rzn6jw, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Since when is an eSATA drive considered a 'removable' drive for backup - Similar Threads - Since eSATA drive

2. New Server 2022 fails to backup to external USB or eSATA drives

in Windows 10 Gaming
    New Server 2022 fails to backup to external USB or eSATA drives: Windows Server Backup will successfully backup to local SATA drives and NAS file shares, but I can't get it to save to a Backup Schedule using external SATA drives in a USB or eSATA dock. I have tried 4TB Seagate drives and 2TB WD drives and it will always backup the EFI boot...
  3. New Server 2022 fails to backup to external USB or eSATA drives

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    New Server 2022 fails to backup to external USB or eSATA drives: Windows Server Backup will successfully backup to local SATA drives and NAS file shares, but I can't get it to save to a Backup Schedule using external SATA drives in a USB or eSATA dock. I have tried 4TB Seagate drives and 2TB WD drives and it will always backup the EFI boot...
  4. BitLocker "Incorrect Function" when attempting to enable on ESATA drive.

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    BitLocker "Incorrect Function" when attempting to enable on ESATA drive.: Drive D: is a freshly format NTFS drive connected via ESATA to Windows 10 Version 1903 OS Build 18362.476. When attempting to enable BitLocker on the drive, the message below is displayed. [ATTACH] BitLocker works as expected with the same drive installed internally via...
  5. BitLocker "Incorrect Function" when attempting to enable on ESATA drive.

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    BitLocker "Incorrect Function" when attempting to enable on ESATA drive.: Drive D: is a freshly format NTFS drive connected via ESATA to Windows 10 Version 1903 OS Build 18362.476. When attempting to enable BitLocker on the drive, the message below is displayed. BitLocker works as expected with the same drive installed internally via SATA....
  6. Windows 10 1903 not recognizing eSATA drives as removable

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Windows 10 1903 not recognizing eSATA drives as removable: I've used eSATA drives with Windows 10 for years on two computers. After upgrading to 1903 the drives initialize fine but do not appear in the "Safely remove hardware and eject media" icon in the taskbar. In Disk Management clicking on the drive, selecting Properties,...
  7. eSata external device shows up with just one drive since Windows 10

eSata external device shows up with just one drive since Windows 10: Hi, same question as in this thread ... https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/esata-drive-not-recognized-in-w10/44f105e8-3ee7-42fa-85ac-aca5803c59ff My hardware/BIOS configuration used to work like a charme under Windows 7. I have a "sil3726" based eSata...
  8. Security settings for external esata / usb drive

in Windows 10 Support
    Security settings for external esata / usb drive: Hello, Recently upgraded to a Windows 10 PC, I also have another nearly identical Windows 10 PC plus three other PC running earlier versions of Windows. I have a 1TB external SATA drive (accessing from an eSata and USB connection) that I need to access from all my PC's...
  9. How to best remove eSATA drive?

How to best remove eSATA drive?: I guess I am used to removing a drive when done on USB...and I used to do this with eSATA. However, while I can still do this on USB is there any way to remove my eSATA drive when I am done? Some have said you do not need to in Win 10 and we can just shut it down and others...
  10. eSATA drive shows in This PC, not in Desktop

eSATA drive shows in This PC, not in Desktop: My eSATA (external Hitachi) drive shows in This PC, when I open Windows Explorer, but does not appear in the list of Desktop items. if I turn the drive off and back on again, explorer finds it again. The drive is otherwise working properly. Is there some setting I am...