Windows 10: Single 240gb SSD Drive - Best Partitioning MBR or UEFI/GPT?

Discus and support Single 240gb SSD Drive - Best Partitioning MBR or UEFI/GPT? in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; I have a Dell Inspiron 17r 5737 laptop made in 2013. The cpu is an Intel i5 4200u with 8gb DDR3 ram. It currently has a 1-TB WD spinning hard disk,... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by Antilope, Dec 26, 2015.

1. Antilope Win User

Single 240gb SSD Drive - Best Partitioning MBR or UEFI/GPT?

I have a Dell Inspiron 17r 5737 laptop made in 2013. The cpu is an Intel i5 4200u with 8gb DDR3 ram.

It currently has a 1-TB WD spinning hard disk, partitioned with UEFI/GPT, that I am replacing with a 240gb SSD drive. I'm only using about 120gb of the 1-TB. The current drive is dual boot, Windows 10 (upgraded from Windows 8.1) and some Linux distros. It has about 2/3 of the space allocated to Windows 10 and 1/3 to Linux. The 1-TB drive will become an external USB 3.0 offline backup drive. Most of the time it will be off and not connected.

I will only be using the single 240gb SSD drive in the laptop. It will be dual boot with Windows 10 and some Linux distros. I will probably allocate 2/3 of the ssd drive for Windows 10 and 1/3 for Linux. I will not be installing the ssd drive with any other drive.

What is the best and fastest partitioning format for a single 240gb SSD hard drive? MBR or UEFI/GPT? The laptop is capable of handling either partitioning scheme. I just want to use the one that is the fastest and best.

This is not for gaming, just for web surfing and general home office use.

:)

Antilope, Dec 26, 2015

2. Windows 10 Pro creates 3 partitions but Home can be made to use one?

Sussed it now.

It works with an MBR Drive as single partition, but GPT wants to make loads.

2 of the Machines aren't UEFI so I'll stick with MBR all round, to keep the backups simple.

MarkTownshend, Dec 26, 2015
  3. Majster Win User
    Windows 10 0xc000000f

Lenovo M73 + Samsung SP600 - 128GB SSD :
    solution with UEFI BOOT & GPT partition table is now 100% tested - IT WORKS !

So now we can do the summary:

Problem exists on small system partitions (>120GB), on disks with MBR partition table format.

TWO SOLUTIONS ARE 100% TESTED AND WORKING:

1. FOR PC's SUPPORTING UEFI: enable UEFI/SECURE BOOT and partition Your HDD/SDD using GPT partition table format. No more trouble, and this
    solution is independent on Your HDD/SSD size.

2. FOR PC's without UEFI SUPPORT: install at least 240GB HDD/SSD, create a system partition on a whole disk surface (the size of system partition
    should not be smaller than 200GB).

I think there is still one mystery: one of us have a hybrid disk, which was bricked - as he claims - during this update. In my opinion it is not possible, but what if I'm wrong?

Majster, Dec 26, 2015
  4. lx07 Win User

Use GPT. It isn't faster (or slower) but doesn't have the limit on partitions (4) that MBR has.

5. Antilope Win User
    Yes. Number of partitions is a consideration. I've had 6 or 10 Linux disros on a hard disk (both MBR and UEFI/GPT). On the MBR you can have 3 primary partitions and an extended partition. Then within the extended partition you can add logical partitions. I've had 15 partitions on an MBR partitioned drive as an experiment. But going with UEFI/GPT for this is easier.

Antilope, Dec 26, 2015
  6. lx07 Win User
    I changed from mbr to gpt a few month ago as I'd read it may make boot faster. It didn't make the slightest difference but partitions are a bit easier to manage (I dual boot quite a lot also and kept running out.)

With UEFI you could use secure boot if you wanted, I can't think of any other advantage (or disadvantage). rEFInd is a nice EFI bootloader if you go the GPT route and want to boot other OS.

7. Antilope Win User
    I will go with UEFI/GPT. When doing a Windows 10 clean install, it uses 3 or 4 partitions alone. If there is no difference in speed between MBR or UEFI, and that's why you install an SSD, then I will go with UEFI/GPT.

Antilope, Dec 26, 2015
  8. cereberus Win User

UEFI pcs also allow you to install hard disks larger than 2TB as a single partition.

cereberus, Dec 26, 2015
  9. Antilope Win User
    Everyone thanks for all of your tips and suggestions about setting up the SSD drive. It will be a real help when I set it up when it arrives next week. I will report back how it goes. Have a Happy New Year everyone!

Antilope, Dec 27, 2015
  10. Antilope Win User
    I received the 240gb drive. Installed it in the laptop and made sure the bios was set to UEFI/GPT and AHCI was enabled for SATA.

I had previously made a bootable Windows 10 x64 Home USB stick from a Windows 10 x64 ISO using Rufus.

Started the computer, pressed F12 for Boot Options, chose the USB stick and the Windows 10 install started.

Chose the option to install Windows 10 and erase everything. Let Windows 10 create all of the necessary partitions automatically.

Using the USB stick in combination with the SSD drive, Windows 10 was literally installed in about 5-minutes. Windows 10 also installed all of the necessary drivers in for my Dell Inspiron 17r 5737 laptop. Didn't need to install any drivers separately.

My laptop came with Windows 8.1 installed and I had upgraded it to Windows 10. During this clean install, I was never asked for an install key. I believe the bios of my computer, having come with Windows 8.1 has all that info embedded in it.

My laptop now boots to the Windows 10 logon screen in about 5 to 10 seconds. Wow I'm one happy camper. The SSD was well worth it.

Antilope, Dec 28, 2015
  11. jimbo45 Win User
    Hi there
    For BOOT drive GPT is fine provided you aren't going to clone the HDD / SSD to use on an older computer that isn't UEFI enabled at boot.

On other drives IMO it's always better these days to go for GPT formatting. My one exception is that if making an external bootable HDD (Linux or Windows to Go for example) then making it MBR allows the external boot HDD to boot from either a modern computer or an older machine that doesn't have UEFI boot.

Cheers
    jimbo

jimbo45, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Single 240gb SSD Drive - Best Partitioning MBR or UEFI/GPT? - Similar Threads - Single 240gb SSD

2. legacy mode to UEFI-MBR to GPT

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    legacy mode to UEFI-MBR to GPT: I would to know how easy it is to change Legacy Mode to UEFI and change MBR to GPT ? I remember changing another pc...is this the command ... C: \ windows \ system32>MBR2GPT.EXE / convert / allowfullos Have checked disk management and my Asus K31ADE pc is in Legacy Mode and...
  3. legacy mode to UEFI-MBR to GPT

in Windows 10 Support
    legacy mode to UEFI-MBR to GPT: I would to know how easy it is to change Legacy Mode to UEFI and change MBR to GPT ? I remember changing another pc...is this the command ... C: \ windows \ system32>MBR2GPT.EXE / convert / allowfullos Have checked disk management and my Asus K31ADE pc is in Legacy Mode and...
  4. MBR to GPT. UEFI issue HP laptop.

in Windows 10 Customization
    MBR to GPT. UEFI issue HP laptop.: I converted my disk from MBR to GPT using CMD. Now in bios I have selected UEFI and disabled legacy, but OS is not booting. How do I get it to boot?...
  5. mbr gpt partition help

mbr gpt partition help: hello guys I need help, in windows 10 I converted the ssd disk with mbr partition to gpt using the mbr2gpt / convert command from cmd. Everything works perfect and windows works in uefi mode. but it turns out that I want to install on another partition of another hard drive...
  6. Mixing drives with GPT and MBR

in Windows 10 Support
    Mixing drives with GPT and MBR: All the drives in an old computer are MBR drives. Windows 10 is installed on one of these drives. A friend gave me a 2T disk drive which is GPT. I installed the drive and the computer seems to recognize it . Can I leave it as a GPT drive or should I convert it to MBR. This...
  7. mbr and gpt on the same drive

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    mbr and gpt on the same drive: so a clean install on a crucial mx500 ssd. used uefi from usb stick to install windows so that it would create the gpt partition. all updates installed fine and when i checked the drive using a portable partition manager, i had a system reserved partition, an mbr partition,...
  8. Lost partition drive after conversion of MBR to GPT.

Lost partition drive after conversion of MBR to GPT.: Hi Guys, May I request your kind assistance or help to recover my deleted/lost partition. I have a lot of important files like documents and pictures that I need to recover *Sad. Please help me guys. Please see the screenshot before the converstion happened. Kind...
  9. Partition Wizard MBR to GPT

Partition Wizard MBR to GPT: Hi, Attempting to convert a Win 10 64bit installation from MBR to GPT on a Dell E6410 using PartitionWizardPro v10 on a bootable USB. I have ended up with a system which will not boot. I have not used this software before and feel a bit out of my depth here. Before...
  10. Why GPT instead of MBR partitions for boot drive?

Why GPT instead of MBR partitions for boot drive?: My boot drive is a 512 GB SSD and it has MBR partitions. I'm currently running Win 7 Pro 64 on an ASUS motherboard system with a UEFI BIOS. I'm about to upgrade to Win 10. Is there any benefit to redoing the boot drive with GPT partitions as part of that process? 49832

Users found this page by searching for:

1. Number of Partition of 240 gb