Windows 10: single channel ddr3 vs dual channel ddr3

Discus and support single channel ddr3 vs dual channel ddr3 in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; I've got two 10 year old laptops and I'm upgrading the memory to 8GB. On Speccy it's currently reporting the RAM as HP: DDR3 Single channel PC3-12800,... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by Gusgf, Jun 16, 2020.

1. Gusgf Win User

single channel ddr3 vs dual channel ddr3

I've got two 10 year old laptops and I'm upgrading the memory to 8GB. On Speccy it's currently reporting the RAM as

HP: DDR3 Single channel PC3-12800, 2 slots both used
    Toshiba: DDR3 Dual channel PC3-10700 2 slots one used

I'm confused so please correct me if I am making the correct assertions below. BTW I'm buying the ram secondhand off of Ebay and not buying from e.g. Crucial as too expensive otherwise I would use their memory wizard and be done:

ASSERTIONS:
    1. The HP has a single channel memory architecture on the MB but the Toshiba has dual channel architecture on it's MB.
    2. Any DDR3 SODIMM will work so I could use PC3-12800 on either laptop using a 2 x 4GB config.
    3. Dual and single channel refers to the MB design and not the physical structure of the memory sticks. But if the memory sticks are labelled dual channel it means that they are designed to work with second paired memory stick in the appropriate channel.

Many thanks for any help in setting me straight if reqd single channel ddr3 vs dual channel ddr3 :)

:)

Gusgf, Jun 16, 2020

2. Dual Channel and Flex mode

I would like to know how dual channel and flex mode works. I think I do but need some clarifications please.

I have 1x 4gb DDR3 and 1x 8gb DDR3 totally 12gb. So, CPUID says they are running in dual channel mode.

My questions are as following:

Q1) 1x 4gb + 0.5x 8gb are running in dual channel; and remaining 4gb is running in flex mode. Is that correct?

Q2) If I consume over 8gb of ram then what happens?

a) 4+4 gb will be running in dual channel, and remaining 4gb running in single channel mode? Or,

b) the entire 12gb will be running in single channel mode?

Q3. Any difference whether I place my ram back or front? For example, 8gb in slot 1 and 4gb in slot 2; or reverse 4gb in front and 8gb in slot 2?

Thanks

Presentelaw, Jun 16, 2020
  3. N-Gen Win User
    use triple channel memory as dual channel?

Whoever said that was referring to running 3 sticks on a board that supports dual channel.

N-Gen, Jun 16, 2020
  4. tomba2k Win User

use triple channel memory as dual channel?

sry, but don't see how this make sense - on tipple channel, you can have single, dual, and triple channel, but not single and dual channel at the same time:S

anyway, two same DDR3 sticks work normally in dual channel on DDR3 board AFAIK.

tomba2k, Jun 16, 2020
Thema:

1. single channel ddr3 vs dual channel ddr3 - Similar Threads - single channel ddr3

2. Single vs dual channel RAM in a laptop

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Single vs dual channel RAM in a laptop: I have a new Dell Vostro 5590 i7 10510U laptop with 8GB DDR4 RAM 2666 Mhz and a NVidia MX250 GPU with 2GB. Win10 Pro. NVMe SSD. The RAM is running in single channel currently. There is an available RAM slot that can be used to increase RAM. If I add another 8GB “stick’’ of...
  3. Faulty Memory RAMs in Dual Channel but no errors in Single Channel

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Faulty Memory RAMs in Dual Channel but no errors in Single Channel: Hey everyone, I've got a situation with my old rig I couldn't make sense of. Asus p7p55d pro Intel i7 870 2.93Ghz 2 x 2GB OCZ DDR3 1600Mhz CAS 7-7-7 Dual Channel Nvidia GT 1030 Lately my PC has been unstable and crashed twice over the last 24 hours which never happened in...
  4. Faulty Memory RAMs in Dual Channel but no errors in Single Channel

in Windows 10 Support
    Faulty Memory RAMs in Dual Channel but no errors in Single Channel: Hey everyone, I've got a situation with my old rig I couldn't make sense of. Asus p7p55d pro Intel i7 870 2.93Ghz 2 x 2GB OCZ DDR3 1600Mhz CAS 7-7-7 Dual Channel Nvidia GT 1030 Lately my PC has been unstable and crashed twice over the last 24 hours which never happened in...
  5. BSOD Dual Channel.

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    BSOD Dual Channel.: I only got BSOD's when i'm using both of my memories, and they are the same. I tested one stick at a time, and got no BSOD. Ryzen 2200G Prime A320M-K/BR Corsair Vengeance 2X4 GB 2400MHZ HD 1 TB Seagate 117629
  6. Dual Channel Mode

Dual Channel Mode: What exactly does this mean? Is it the processor and memory combined? I am looking at a laptop for light coding and to use a particular flight simulation program that is just now in Early Access! This and World of Warships are basically the only games I play. Flight Sim...
  7. What is Better Dual or Single Channel Memory?

What is Better Dual or Single Channel Memory?: Is 2 slots of memory in performance better than 1 slot using the same amount of RAM, e.g., 1 x 16 GBs of DDR3 Laptop Memory or 2 x 8 GB of DDR3? I think I know the obvious, 1 x 16 GB in 1 slot, correct? Also, I have seen some lower ended laptops - say with just a skylake...
  8. DDR3 1600 to 2400 - Is it worth ?

DDR3 1600 to 2400 - Is it worth ?: Is it worth to change my current 32GB DDR3 1600 MHz (OC 1822 MHz @ 1,60v) for a new 32GB 2400 MHz kit for US$ 400,00 ? I still can sell the old kit or keep it to build a new rig in a near future. Do you think that the performance improvement in gaming will be significant ?...
  9. DDR3 question

DDR3 question: I am wanting to upgrade/add memory to my laptop and I am in confusion as to all the different types of compatible memory available. My system requires: DDR3 PC3-12800 • CL=11 • Unbuffered • NON-ECC • DDR3-1600 • 1.35V You'd think that the above specifics are just that;...
  10. DDR3 vs DDR4

in Windows 10 Support
    DDR3 vs DDR4: Is there a significant difference between DDR3 ram and DDR4? Would it be worth actually upgrading my motherboard to one that supports DDR4? My specs... CASE: CM Storm Stryker CPU: Intel i5 4690K 3.5GHz CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO GPU: MSI GTX 1080 MOBO:...