Windows 10: Single/Double Clicking a file/folder getting into rename mode randomly.

Discus and support Single/Double Clicking a file/folder getting into rename mode randomly. in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Hello Guys, For 3-4 months, I am facing below annoying problem on my windows 10 laptop. Double clicks and single clicks on a file/folder are getting... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by Rahul_Kodu, Jun 16, 2020.

1. Single/Double Clicking a file/folder getting into rename mode randomly.

Hello Guys,

For 3-4 months, I am facing below annoying problem on my windows 10 laptop. Double clicks and single clicks on a file/folder are getting into rename mode. This is happening randomly across windows and applications.

I then verified my hardware and checked for faulty keys especially F2which is the shortcut. But, all the keys are pretty good and don't have any issues. The issue is seen even when I'm using a trackpad. I use the VS Code for programming and its where I get annoyed most of the time. All the time it complains, "Cannot rename an element"even when I am AFK. I couldn't even focus on writing code peacefully. Attaching the screenshot for the same.

Single/Double Clicking a file/folder getting into rename mode randomly. 663e6f68-4fb3-4496-b7f1-e0dc62e00bdd?upload=true.png

I searched online for a solution, unfortunately, there are no forums found. I hope anyone would solve this problem.

:)

Rahul_Kodu, Jun 16, 2020
  2. Roohi_Taj Win User

Mouse started double clicking on single click file randomly.

Hi KathZ,

Thank you for writing to Microsoft Community Forums.

Could you please help me with the below questions:

• Which version of Windows you are using? (To check, type: winver in start menu and hit enter.)
    • Does this issue occur on a different mouse?

This issue happens, if there is mouse/hardware issue or it can be settings issue. I would suggest you to follow the troubleshooting steps as mentioned below:

Method 1: Restore the defaults.

1. Press Windows
      and E key together on your Keyboard.
    2. Go to View tab on the top.
    3. Click on Options > Click on Change folder and Search options.
    4. Click on Restore Defaults.
      Click on Apply and Ok.

Method 2: Change the Mouse settings.

1. Click on the Settings icon from the start menu.
    2. Click on Devices > Click on Mouse from the left panel of the window.
    3. Click on Additional Mouse Options from the right pane.
    4. This will open the Mouse Properties window, go to Buttons tab.
    5. Under the Double click speed, drag the slider to the left to slow down the double click speed.
    6. Next, go to Pointer options tab, uncheck the "Enhance Pointer Precision" to
      disable pointer precision to slow down the mouse.

For more information, I would suggest you to follow the
    steps
    provided in the post on 'Windows 10 mouse has started double clicking on single click randomly'.

Hope it helps.

Let us know if you got the help you needed by clicking Yes or No.

Roohi Taj S

Microsoft Community - Moderator

Roohi_Taj, Jun 16, 2020
  3. KathZ Win User
    Mouse started double clicking on single click file randomly.

***Modify title from: "Save As" does not obey my "double click" setting, but other file explore works properly with a double click to open a folder ***

I have my File Explorer settings adjusted to use a double click to open a folder, and it always works properly EXCEPT when I am using the "save as" command. Whenever I attempt to "Save as," a single click opens folders. This often causes my second click
    to select a random file in the folder, which subsequently causes my file's name to change to the name of that random file. When I fail to notice, this causes me to lose files, because the file I am saving replaces that randomly selected file in the folder.
    Please help.

KathZ, Jun 16, 2020
  4. Single/Double Clicking a file/folder getting into rename mode randomly.

Single click on selected file renames it, double click on selected file also counts as single click and renames as well

When I want to open an already selected file, double clicking it will rename it instead of opening it, no matter how quickly I double click. This was not the case in Windows 8 and it's _seriously_ annoying me. Single clicking an already selected file will
    also rename it when it should be a slow double click.

I know that I can double click on the icon to open it anyway, but I like to work in details view where the icons are really small.

Edit: Ok, apparently it was a bug. Anyway, the problem is gone for now. I thought it was by design.

NounVerber, Jun 16, 2020
Thema:

Single/Double Clicking a file/folder getting into rename mode randomly.

1. Single/Double Clicking a file/folder getting into rename mode randomly. - Similar Threads - Single Double Clicking

2. mouse double click on single click

in Windows 10 Gaming
    mouse double click on single click: I have encountered an issue which seems to affect both windows 10 21H1 and windows 11 21H1. earlier in the week I did a factory restore, which took my system back to windows 10 1803. as of yesterday i was running windows 10 21h1. after the latest series of updates, my mouse...
  3. mouse double click on single click

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    mouse double click on single click: I have encountered an issue which seems to affect both windows 10 21H1 and windows 11 21H1. earlier in the week I did a factory restore, which took my system back to windows 10 1803. as of yesterday i was running windows 10 21h1. after the latest series of updates, my mouse...
  4. double click to rename

in Windows 10 Gaming
    double click to rename: I used to be able to double click a file to rename it. After installing Windows 11, File explorer will not let me do that. Can I get this feature back? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/double-click-to-rename/643a40ea-7871-4378-921d-4f07963a8677
  5. double click to rename

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    double click to rename: I used to be able to double click a file to rename it. After installing Windows 11, File explorer will not let me do that. Can I get this feature back? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/double-click-to-rename/643a40ea-7871-4378-921d-4f07963a8677
  6. Windows 10 mouse randomly double clicking on single clicks

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Windows 10 mouse randomly double clicking on single clicks: Mouse is still nearly impossible to use for most things due to double-clicking on most instances where attempting to only single-click. This also happens often while trying to hold the mouse button to multi-select, or to select strings of text. While holding the mouse button,...
  7. Mouse started double clicking on single click file randomly.

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Mouse started double clicking on single click file randomly.: ***Modify title from: "Save As" does not obey my "double click" setting, but other file explore works properly with a double click to open a folder *** I have my File Explorer settings adjusted to use a double click to open a folder, and it always works properly EXCEPT when...
  8. Mouse randomly double or triple clicking on single click, help!

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Mouse randomly double or triple clicking on single click, help!: Ever since a recent update, I've been having very annoying issues with my mouse involving double or triple clicking most normal clicks and not properly registering "click and hold" commands. Thus, it is impossible to click and drag windows (it will just randomly drop them),...
  9. Mouse randomly double or triple clicking on single click, help!

in Windows 10 Support
    Mouse randomly double or triple clicking on single click, help!: Ever since a recent update, I've been having very annoying issues with my mouse involving double or triple clicking most normal clicks and not properly registering "click and hold" commands. Thus, it is impossible to click and drag windows (it will just randomly drop them),...
  10. Mouse randomly double-clicking on single click

in Windows 10 Support
    Mouse randomly double-clicking on single click: Hi there. I have a generic logitech mouse and since I moved to Windows 10, it's been behaving really weirdly. I am not sure if its the issue with the mouse or is it due to something on Windows 10. When I click on an icon on the desktop with a single click, it sometimes...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. File going to renaming automatically on single click

2. single click edit file name

3. windows 11 double click only rename folder