Windows 10: Six clicks: What we think we know about Windows 9

Discus and support Six clicks: What we think we know about Windows 9 in Windows 10 News to solve the problem; I don't get the appeal of the "unification theory" of Windows. Why would you want to squeeze a giant OS onto a phone or tablet? Linux has mini-distros... Discussion in 'Windows 10 News' started by labeeman, Mar 13, 2014.

1. Six clicks: What we think we know about Windows 9

I don't get the appeal of the "unification theory" of Windows. Why would you want to squeeze a giant OS onto a phone or tablet? Linux has mini-distros for special purposes. Seems like a scam to make you have 4 GB ram on your phone just to make a call. *Wink

MilesAhead, May 10, 2014

2. The Windows Phone OS may look like Windows 8.1 but its a totally different beast. The GUI may look identical but the code that does it is different.

alphanumeric, May 10, 2014
  3. Actually I think its based on CE ME and NT. Once you put that all together you have a solid OS. *Wink

alphanumeric, May 10, 2014
  4. Tepid Win User

Six clicks: What we think we know about Windows 9

Actually, the core is the same, the GUI parts are the difference. There are some other differences I am sure.
    But, the unification of the OS across devices is a smart move.

This has all been spelled out many times, in many different places.

Same Code, Tweaked Interface per device, makes it easier to code and maintain that code across multiple devices.
    If you have no GUI Tweaks that you are doing and just updating you base code, the code will go out across all devices
    You only need to fix it once, not 2, 3 or 4 times for each different device.

Think about it this way,,,,, You have IE 7, 8, 9, 10, 11 out in the wild (even 6), Firefox, Opera, and so many more.

Imagine all those browsers you need to optimize your websites for. (The best sites will play nice across every major browser)
    In some cases, an update/code change could break things on some of these browsers, that you then have to go fix for each one.
    How much time is that going to take?

Now imagine all of them used the same base code but different GUI's.

Now how much optimizing/updating do you need to do to make it work across all those browsers?

BTW, it's already known that WP OS works better than Android on the same low end hardware.
    not to mention WinRT and Win8.x Pro on tablets of the same hardware over Android.

Tepid, May 11, 2014
  5. LEE
    Lee Win User
    Wow. . .that went right over my stroke infested head. . .*Roflmao2*Roflmao2*Roflmao2

6. Britton30 Win User
    Having a single OS for some poke and punch device and a real PC seems really stupid to me. I don't poke and punch my PCs or use a keyboard on my "smart" phone.

Britton30, May 12, 2014
  7. The stuff about the browsers aside, I think Tepid is getting at separation of interface and engine. I've never had a smart phone or tablet. So I don't know how well the theory works in practice. Are smart phones likely to have the same processor family as desktops? I dunno'. *Smile

MilesAhead, May 16, 2014
  8. Six clicks: What we think we know about Windows 9

Phones do not use the same processors that desktop PC's do. I do believe most of them are ARM based. Similar to what's in the Surface RT.

alphanumeric, May 16, 2014
  9. Tepid Win User
    Tepid, May 16, 2014
  10. A Guy Win User
    ARM processors could allow multi platform apps...

Meet Cider, the platform that puts iOS apps on Android

Source

A Guy, May 17, 2014
  11. Boozad Win User
    It is stupid. I've been playing around with 8.1 for a couple of weeks now and I just can't abide the Metro stuff, why have two different versions of Outlook? Two different versions of Excel? Two places to alter PC settings? And the Metro versions of Office programs are just downright bloody awful.

I wanted to get to know the OS but have installed Start8 and made it as close to 7 as I can get, so it stands to reason I'm not going to pay for something to turn it into something I've already got that, in my eyes, is already perfect.

M$ really should have released two different versions of 8 and then they'd have been onto a winner.

Boozad, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

Six clicks: What we think we know about Windows 9

1. Six clicks: What we think we know about Windows 9 - Similar Threads - Six clicks

2. Windows 11’s speech recognition gets axed in six months, but it’ll work on Windows 10

in Windows 10 News
    Windows 11’s speech recognition gets axed in six months, but it’ll work on Windows 10: Microsoft previously announced the deprecation of Windows Speech Recognition (WSR) and several other apps. In a surprising move, the new Voice Access app will now replace the WSR app on Windows 11 22H2 and newer versions in September 2024, but you can continue using the...
  3. I cant type six but i know the key is working since i tested it and when i shift i can...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    I cant type six but i know the key is working since i tested it and when i shift i can...: I've come across this problem recently about 2 or 3 days ago and i had to copy and paste 6 , it finally got to me that i need to solve this problem i tried restarting and checking on keyboard tester websites and theyre all saying that my six key still works , i know it works...
  4. I cant type six but i know the key is working since i tested it and when i shift i can...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    I cant type six but i know the key is working since i tested it and when i shift i can...: I've come across this problem recently about 2 or 3 days ago and i had to copy and paste 6 , it finally got to me that i need to solve this problem i tried restarting and checking on keyboard tester websites and theyre all saying that my six key still works , i know it works...
  5. My windows keeps going to BSOD while playing rainbow six siege

in Windows 10 Gaming
    My windows keeps going to BSOD while playing rainbow six siege: I've been experiencing my windows going to BSOD while launching Rainbow Six Siege it happen in the middle of the game or launching the game its giving me a numerous codes like "page fault in non paged area" and "system tread exception not handled" I've went through a lot of...
  6. My windows keeps going to BSOD while playing rainbow six siege

My windows keeps going to BSOD while playing rainbow six siege: I've been experiencing my windows going to BSOD while launching Rainbow Six Siege it happen in the middle of the game or launching the game its giving me a numerous codes like "page fault in non paged area" and "system tread exception not handled" I've went through a lot of...
  7. PC freezing & auto restarting when playing/launching certain game Rainbow Six Siege

in Windows 10 Gaming
    PC freezing & auto restarting when playing/launching certain game Rainbow Six Siege: It does not give me a blue screen, it simply freezes and then restarts after a while. The Event Viewer says the following:The computer has rebooted from a bugcheck. The bugcheck was: 0x0000007e 0xffffffffc0000005, 0xfffff8055d5a064d, 0xffffcc811cf4dfe8, 0xffffcc811cf4d800. A...
  8. PC freezing & auto restarting when playing/launching certain game Rainbow Six Siege

PC freezing & auto restarting when playing/launching certain game Rainbow Six Siege: It does not give me a blue screen, it simply freezes and then restarts after a while. The Event Viewer says the following:The computer has rebooted from a bugcheck. The bugcheck was: 0x0000007e 0xffffffffc0000005, 0xfffff8055d5a064d, 0xffffcc811cf4dfe8, 0xffffcc811cf4d800. A...
  9. Sometimes when I launch rainbow six siege I get a blue screen and get kernel power error 41

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Sometimes when I launch rainbow six siege I get a blue screen and get kernel power error 41: Sometimes when launching rainbow six siege, I blue screen. After checking the event viewer I see kernel power event id 41 task category 63. this is the friendly view in the details tab when I double click. -System-Provider[ Name]Microsoft-Windows-Kernel-Power[...
  10. Sometimes when I launch rainbow six siege I get a blue screen and get kernel power error 41

Sometimes when I launch rainbow six siege I get a blue screen and get kernel power error 41: Sometimes when launching rainbow six siege, I blue screen. After checking the event viewer I see kernel power event id 41 task category 63. this is the friendly view in the details tab when I double click. -System-Provider[ Name]Microsoft-Windows-Kernel-Power[...