Windows 10: Size of available shrink space does not equate Free Space

Discus and support Size of available shrink space does not equate Free Space in Windows 10 Gaming to solve the problem; I have an HP Pavilion Notebook with a SAMSUNG 870 EVO SATA SSD 500GB 2.5” as Internal Solid State Hard Drive. I am trying to shrink my primary... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Gaming' started by martin.0, Sep 26, 2022.

1. martin.0 Win User

Size of available shrink space does not equate Free Space

I have an HP Pavilion Notebook with a SAMSUNG 870 EVO SATA SSD 500GB 2.5” as Internal Solid State Hard Drive. I am trying to shrink my primary Partition and create 100gb of unallocated space. In the File Explorer it shows that i have 133 GB of free space but when i try to shrink it, it says that it can only shrink about 25gb. I was hoping someone could help me understand whats going on. Sincerely, martin.0

:)

martin.0, Sep 26, 2022
  2. JYip_123 Win User

disk partition - space to

Hi When I try to use isk Management to shrink a volume or partition so that I can make partition, I find that the size of available shrink space in mb 0, even through the partition to be shrunk has much unused space. could any one tell me how to solve
    this problem?

In addition, the space shown in "Online" is more than the actual size of my C folder. do you know why

thanks

JYip 123

JYip_123, Sep 26, 2022
  3. ShivamK Win User
    not able to shrink C: even though there is plenty of space free

Some of windows system files got corrupted so i did recover it through recovery drive. Everything was fine until i knew that Windows C: is taking up 500GB of my disk space. I tried shrinking it but it's showing " available space on drive for shrinking
    : 0mb "..... Total space : 500gb. Used space : 40gb. Free space : 460gb. Why can't i shrink C: and make use of the free space ?. Is there anything wrong with recovery i've done ? Is there any SAFE WAY to
    shrink it ? Please give some solutions.

P.s. : Earlier (before recovery) , C: was allocated around 200gb and was working fine.

ShivamK, Sep 26, 2022
  4. Eddie Q Win User

Cannot shrink C: partition: Not enough space

I am trying to create a new partition on my laptop (XPS 12 9Q33, 128GB SSD) by shrinking the C:\ partition. However, despite the fact that it indicates there is enough space, it displays an error message. I have successfully done this on my desktop, but for some reason it fails on my laptop.

I am trying to shrink C:\ (which has ~25GB free) by 10GB.

I have:

• ensured there are no files at the end of the sector (disabling pagefile, etc.). See How can I shrink a Windows 10 partition? for how to do that (and you do need to do that).
    • turned off my antivirus temporarily.
    • disabled BitLocker encryption.

And it still fails. I've even tried Paragon's Partition Manager, which claims there is not enough space on the disk, which is not true.

I have even tried shrinking different sizes (down to 256MB), but to no avail (it still displays the same error).

Screenshots:

Size of available shrink space does not equate Free Space clPEm.png

Size of available shrink space does not equate Free Space dsI05.png

Any help would be appreciated.

Eddie Q, Sep 26, 2022
Thema:

1. Size of available shrink space does not equate Free Space - Similar Threads - Size available shrink

2. Cannot shrink volume eventhough there seems to be 200gb free space

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Cannot shrink volume eventhough there seems to be 200gb free space: I am trying to shrink volume to install dual boot ubuntu, but I can't. There seems to be more than 200gb free space but it lets me shrink only 53mb. I have already tried disabling hibernation, system protection and page file. After following this tutorial...
  3. Hard disk space reducing everyday.Tree view allocated size and free space available not...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Hard disk space reducing everyday.Tree view allocated size and free space available not...: My hard disk is saying only 274gb free of 471.If allocated is 102.3gb then I should have 368gb free space where is the difference in space going for.I am running in admin mode...
  4. Hard disk space reducing everyday.Tree view allocated size and free space available not...

Hard disk space reducing everyday.Tree view allocated size and free space available not...: My hard disk is saying only 274gb free of 471.If allocated is 102.3gb then I should have 368gb free space where is the difference in space going for.I am running in admin mode...
  5. Size of available shrink space does not equate Free Space

Size of available shrink space does not equate Free Space: I have an HP Pavilion Notebook with a SAMSUNG 870 EVO SATA SSD 500GB 2.5” as Internal Solid State Hard Drive. I am trying to shrink my primary Partition and create 100gb of unallocated space. In the File Explorer it shows that i have 133 GB of free space but when i try to...
  6. Size of available shrink space does not equate Free Space

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Size of available shrink space does not equate Free Space: I have an HP Pavilion Notebook with a SAMSUNG 870 EVO SATA SSD 500GB 2.5” as Internal Solid State Hard Drive. I am trying to shrink my primary Partition and create 100gb of unallocated space. In the File Explorer it shows that i have 133 GB of free space but when i try to...
  7. Free Space opn C: Drive Consistently Shrinking

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Free Space opn C: Drive Consistently Shrinking: Hello all. I've a good bit of info to get through, so please forgive me.I used to use a Seagate 2TB HDD as my primary drive, partitioned three different ways. I upgraded to a Crucial 1TB SSD about a couple weeks ago now. When I noticed some odd behavior both in the back-up of...
  8. Shrink volume not showing all available space

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Shrink volume not showing all available space: My 240gb SSD has 140gb of free space. But shrink volume will only allow 67gb, why does this happen? Edit: I just selected the "No paging file" option and it works now. submitted by /u/TheTomSawyer [link] [comments]...
  9. Free Space

in Windows 10 Customization
    Free Space: I have a 500Gb SSD drive and checking the storage in settings it told me that the drive had 476Gb which I understood of which 367Gb were used and 109Gb were free. Hoping to free up some space and not wanting to delete my pictures or Music, I decided to tidy up my folders and...
  10. Disconnect between available free space and total size of scanned drives

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Disconnect between available free space and total size of scanned drives: I just posted another question that got answered to download treesizefree. I did, and it showed me that the heavy storage on my PC was due to Iphone file backups. I removed them But it is still saying that there is only 32GB of free space of 212GB, but my drive is only...