Windows 10: Size of folders isn't the same as size taken up in disk space.

Discus and support Size of folders isn't the same as size taken up in disk space. in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; I just got a new laptop a few weeks ago, and most of the storage is already taken up. Also, the size of the folders isn't even close to the amount of... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by Abbas0821, Nov 8, 2020.

1. Abbas0821 Win User

Size of folders isn't the same as size taken up in disk space.

I just got a new laptop a few weeks ago, and most of the storage is already taken up. Also, the size of the folders isn't even close to the amount of space shown in the drive. I only have 5GB left and in some cases have to use other devices to complete my work. If anyone has answers please let me know as soon as possible, and so sorry if this question has already been asked and answered. If it has been answered already, please send me a link of where I could find the answer. Thanks for all the help! And by the way, I have a windows 10 laptop for anyone who wants to figure out what's wrong.

:)

Abbas0821, Nov 8, 2020
  2. Amit_Sun Win User

Change in folder size after enabling Bitlocker

Hi,

Thank you for writing to Microsoft Community Forums.

We understand you concern related to the size of the folder displayed. Try these steps to narrow down the issue:

1. Disable bitlocker
      and then check the folder size.
    2. We would also suggest you to open the folder and select all files and see the size of the contents.

Let us know if the size of the contents matches the folder size. If you see a difference, then the folder might be showing incorrect size.

Kindly reply us with the requested information to assist you better.

Awaiting for your response.

Amit Sunar

Microsoft Community – Moderator

Amit_Sun, Nov 8, 2020
  3. Drone Win User
    Directory Size Utility

First of all nice utility, Mindweaver!
    Second of all, it's so nice to see that this section ain't dead.

I have a few questions/suggestions, maybe you'd want to see ...
    • maybe you rename Get Folder button caption to something more intuitive? Add Folder, Get Folder Size, Check Folder Size or something like that?
    • Could you add subfolder files to the right pane? (it can be a tickbox with include sub dirs)
    • maybe you also add export list to excel?
    • there's delete file button maybe you add delete folder button too?
    • and finally maybe you can add UP button for directories?

Drone, Nov 8, 2020
  4. Size of folders isn't the same as size taken up in disk space.

Reduce disk size (Inspect SCSI )

Hi, I'm David an independent advisor and user just like you. I'll do my best to help you with this.

The answer is you have to reduce the size on BOTH sides.

Step 1) Within you virtual machine you need to go to Disk Management and reduce the size of the partition(s) on the drive you want to reduce - you want to end up with space left at the "end" of the virtual disk. This is the space you'll be able to recover.

Step 2) From your Hyper-V host you need to edit the virtual disk and use the Shrink option to reduce the size of the physical disk (as far as your VM is concerned it's a physical disk), and that would reduce the size of your virtual disk file on the host.

If you are increasing the size of the virtual disk then you do it the other way round - increase the size of the virtual disk on Hyper-V, then go to Disk Management inside your virtual machine and you'll find there's more space available to expand your virtual
    volume.

Regards,

David

David Spink, Nov 8, 2020
Thema:

Size of folders isn't the same as size taken up in disk space.

1. Size of folders isn't the same as size taken up in disk space. - Similar Threads - Size folders isn't

2. Folder size bigger than its Disk Space

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Folder size bigger than its Disk Space: Hi,I am facing an interesting issue wherein the size of a Drive is 300 GB. But the folder inside it which contains all data is showing a 405 GB. Not sure where the extra 100 GB has come from . I am finding this issue on a VM I had created and using . The Drive actually holds...
  3. Folder size bigger than its Disk Space

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Folder size bigger than its Disk Space: Hi,I am facing an interesting issue wherein the size of a Drive is 300 GB. But the folder inside it which contains all data is showing a 405 GB. Not sure where the extra 100 GB has come from . I am finding this issue on a VM I had created and using . The Drive actually holds...
  4. "Size" VS "Size On Disk"

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    "Size" VS "Size On Disk": One Drive is suppose to have 1TB storage. When i check "Properties" on it, it says the following: "Size" = 40GB On my backup it says "size on disk" = 218 MB and my other backup says "size on disk" = 4 KB. But when I check my Memory Stick I get a logical answer: 8GB used, 25GB...
  5. File sizes and disk space don't add up

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    File sizes and disk space don't add up: I have a 1TB disk "TheFdrive". Properties report it as 929GB capacity, 855GB used, 73.2GB free.But individually the various folders add up to less than half that.I've emptied the recycling bin, done disk cleanup, including system files, it says it doesn't need defragging. I...
  6. Difference of folder's size vs size on disk by multiples

in Windows 10 Support
    Difference of folder's size vs size on disk by multiples: One folder I checked the properties of showed 55GB of files but "Size on disk" was 300+GB... I understand how they can be different, but I'm unsure of what that much of a difference actually means. [img] Is 300GB of drive space actually being used? It seems like a...
  7. Size and Size on disk

Size and Size on disk: Hi this is what I see on Pictures property folder: [ATTACH] How come? could it be that 75GB take only 2.2GB on disk or is it the other way around?... https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/size-and-size-on-disk/04a4374b-f0b9-4eac-b4b6-3b68373c3330
  8. Two same folders have different "Size on Disk" ?

Two same folders have different "Size on Disk" ?: I have two identical folders on two separate USB HDDsI copied the folder from hdd1 to hdd2, when I look at their properties , their "size" is the same....but they have a different "size on disk" .... did the files in the folder get corrupted during the transfer ? should I...
  9. Hard disk free space and total folder size don't add up

Hard disk free space and total folder size don't add up: I'm trying to free up my hard disk for Windows updates but the numbers don't add up. In folder options I chose both "Show hidden files, folders, and drivers" and unchecked "Hide protected operating system files". I tried Disk Cleanup and scanned with Windows Defenders but...
  10. Windows Folder Size greater than Size on Disk

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Windows Folder Size greater than Size on Disk: My 32GB Windows 10 Home PC (recently upgraded from 8.1) is low on disk space. I deleted Windows.old and I have hibernation disabled. Apart from a few browsers, very little else is installed, yet I only have 11.7GB left? One reason may be the size of the Windows folder:...